"Sunday" on TVNZ

More
8 years 4 months ago #516120 by bev
Replied by bev on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
Been a while since I used this forum .. just to point out Max2 .. you don't need to tag bobbies for AC petfood or downcow as its paid on a per calf basis, not per KG.
All calves should be a minmum 4 days though, but with petfood, with these outfits, they can have penicillian milk, as long as they are clearly marked at pick up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516124 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ

bev wrote: Been a while since I used this forum .. just to point out Max2 .. you don't need to tag bobbies for AC petfood or downcow as its paid on a per calf basis, not per KG.
All calves should be a minmum 4 days though, but with petfood, with these outfits, they can have penicillian milk, as long as they are clearly marked at pick up.

They still need a direct to slaughter tag Bev, not the ''traditional'' tag...

More
8 years 4 months ago #516145 by natacha
Replied by natacha on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
I didn't see the TV program (no TV) but watched the SAFE short doc online. I have to say I was crying by the end of it and really shocked. I can see that that's the reaction they want from people, and although their little program may be biased, the fact that it is happening at all is inadmissible.
I have no illusions as to the fact that some (most") dairy calves have no direct "end use" and will end up being slaughtered for dog food. It doesn't excuse the way these calves are treated.
That a dairy farm is run for profit and takes the calves off their mother after a few hours, I find it hard to accept as a mother, but as my partner said, if they can make $10 extra they will, and since the calves are destined to be slaughtered anyway, they probably see it as a waste of colostrum.
I got in touch with the dairy farm we get our raw milk from (when we don't get it from our own cow) and ask them about their practices. They were very honest and said they left the calves on their mothers for 2 days, tried to sell as many as possible and slaughtered the unwanted calves on their farm, in a humane way.
I guess at the end of the day, the purpose of these little investigations is to make us (as customers) aware of these welfare issues and encourage us to take responsibility, ask questions and be ethical about our purchases. The same goes for the clothes we buy, the food we eat, etc...
The following user(s) said Thank You: muri

More
8 years 4 months ago #516203 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ

natacha wrote: I guess at the end of the day, the purpose of these little investigations is to make us (as customers) aware of these welfare issues and encourage us to take responsibility, ask questions and be ethical about our purchases. The same goes for the clothes we buy, the food we eat, etc...

Er no. The purpose of these investigations is to destroy all animal farming (even "humane" ) farming, and make us all vegan

This is a direct quote from the SAFE website
" Are you ready to stop supporting the meat and dairy industry, and instead encourage the growing of sustainable, plant-based food in our country?"

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2, AlanL

More
8 years 4 months ago #516211 by bev
No they don't max2, previous farms ive worked on have used them. No tags required. not even slaughter ones
only time you have to mark them is if they have had penicillin.
Natacha .. most calves aren't removed after a few hours unless it is for health reason for the cow (milk fever) or the calf hasn't drunk by itself, or the weather could turning for the worse, I mean what would you choose for the calf, outside in the cold/wet/wind or stay on mum over night and highly likely freeze? hence why it is taken into a dry sheltered shed and feed what is called the 'first colostrum' which gives the calf antibodies and the best possible start at life.
I have watched the 'unedited' version too, made me sick to the stomach, but again, its a small minority that's brought the rest of us into the firing line.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #516241 by max2
This is the link I am reading on the NAIT page Bev:

nait.co.nz/tag/

Exemptions
Cattle and deer which the farmer considers too dangerous to tag do not need a NAIT tag if they are going directly to a meat processor. A levy of $13 per head excluding GST applies to these animals.
Calves less than 30 days old going directly to a meat processor (bobby calves), with a direct to slaughter tag issued by the meat processor, do not need a NAIT tag.

The highlighted bit is me not the site... happy to be corrected and I do think its somewhat ambiguous as to when the direct to slaughter tag is issued so I am assuming it would be for transit off farm?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by max2.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516243 by max2
On the topic of the episode I am appalled at one forum I read today where a dietary consultant claims bulls RAPE cows! In amongst all that is how farmers and stock are the cause of all the environmental woes etc. Not a word about car fumes, spraying of pesticides, where city people's waste goes to, etc etc. along with the urban creep into rural areas, I am starting to become extremely concerned as to the future of rural activities in New Zealand.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516245 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
It becomes hypocritical, most people will be appalled but will not make the connection to their latte, cheese board, fillet steak or Italian leather shoes

People need protein, and animals are the most convenient source, the whole system should be up for audit on a random basis by MPI, but as with most govt organisations they probably have cut staff resources to the bone and there just isn't the resource there to monitor the industry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
8 years 4 months ago #516249 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
We had over 100,000 bobby calves trundle down the line this season before they closed off and we switched to lambs, Bobby calves for human consumption need a direct to slaughter tag. which traces the calf back to the farmer and farm, exactly the same as a NAIT tag does adult stock. the barcode on the tag also allows each veal carcase to be scaled out and the farmer paid on KG yield for each calf rather than per head.

The direct to slaughter tags mean that even though the calves come as big featureless mobs all mixed together, any QA people can look at any carcase in the chiller, scan the label, read off the details there from the barcode and know exactly which farm that carcase came from.

Some come in through the system with no tags. They may be just as edible as their brethren with tags, but while they go down the line, they aren't processed any further than being skinned and the pelt fed into the tannery system, the carcase gets dropped down the vets condem hole to join the the blood n bone and inedibles in the tubs downstairs to be trucked away.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
8 years 4 months ago #516294 by bev
I will try again ..
4 day old calves going to the Sale Yard .. = NAIT
4 day calves going to the Meat Works for human consumption = Direct to slaughter tags (this is where the tags have the farm ID, and is paid Per KG to farmer)
4 day old calves going to PET FOOD .. no tags... You may get $3-5 dollars for a small jersey calf. NAIT tags cost more than this!

If you still don't believe me, ring them yourself, It wont be on the NAIT website as there is only 2 companies im aware of in the Waikato that offer this service.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516299 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
and we criticise the Japanese for killing whales! we are such hypocrites!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 4 months ago #516300 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ

max2 wrote: This is the link I am reading on the NAIT page Bev:

nait.co.nz/tag/

Exemptions
Cattle and deer which the farmer considers too dangerous to tag do not need a NAIT tag if they are going directly to a meat processor. A levy of $13 per head excluding GST applies to these animals.
Calves less than 30 days old going directly to a meat processor (bobby calves), with a direct to slaughter tag issued by the meat processor, do not need a NAIT tag.

The highlighted bit is me not the site... happy to be corrected and I do think its somewhat ambiguous as to when the direct to slaughter tag is issued so I am assuming it would be for transit off farm?[/quote

Bobby calves sold have NAIT tags if going onto be reared, slaughter tags if straight to slaughter & no tags if straight to petfood companies....in those cases the company often has their own truck or the farmers drop off at the plant

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
8 years 4 months ago #516301 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
I too was appalled by the program....in a few ways/for a few reasons
- that it was a vegan anti dairy activist program setting out to distroy the dairy industry
- that SUNDAY allowed a onesided program like that
- that it was tarring all farmers with the same brush &
- that there were people in the industry(both dairy& meat) that treated the calves the way they did

Unfortunatly surplus calves is one part of milk production, I hate sending them off, we try to rehome & rear as many as we can. All bobbies are treated the same as our keeper calves while here & are in the same pens until the morning they leave, ours are fed within 30mins of the truck picking them up(they always got extra than needed too) & any small calves or ones that arent 100% are kept longer than the min 4days. Last year we were at the end of the run & if the truck hadnt been by 10am(run starts at 8am) I would give them a bit more milk
We supply silver ferm farms, they are very big on animal walfare & if there are any issues they investigate within the day they are made aware which is fantastic, they have vets & inspectors at the works. All suppliers get a kill sheet with weights, price etc.....any probs are listed on the kill sheet & you arent paid for them. We havnt had any sent down the shute for bruising, we have had one with arthritis, a couple with phneumonia & septicemia....I was concerned so spoke to silver ferms over them as I remember those calves feeding well & looking fine, they assured me that it is one of those things that u usually cant tell until the animal is processed

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkspur, Anakei

More
8 years 4 months ago #516310 by ibis
Replied by ibis on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
I made myself watch it. It was very upsetting. What really annoys me is the main culprits of cruelty in this clip were the pet food operators. Checked out the supplier of the raw pet food I buy, he said they are not using the company in the program at present. Asked about the possibility of drugs in the meat and his comment was not likely. Does not sound like a very regulated industry to me. Where are the protests from pet owners?

More
8 years 4 months ago #516316 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
I remain as disturbed by the footage of the dairy farmers being unacceptably rough when "placing" calves into their trailers. I did not think their actions were acceptable and that part has been overshadowed by the worse actions of those other two groups.
But it is not surprising that there are staff in processing plants and stock truck companies who behave as they do, if they have any exposure to the sort of disdain for calves shown by some of those farmers. Those farmers are also not going to care much about how their calves are treated from the time they're picked up either and I doubt this was a situation nobody knew about, probably for a very long time. A woman I spoke to on Tuesday told me she'd seen it happen when she was dairying, decades ago. She did nothing then and spoke as if it were an acceptable or unchangeable practice.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds