Dexter stuff

More
8 years 6 months ago #515141 by andik
Dexter stuff was created by andik
Hi there,
I'm near Dannevirke and have 2 lovely cows looking to get in calf early December. Mona is R5 Jersey x (possibly with a hereford) and Poppy is an R4 Jersey/Dexter. We usually use a neighbour's Brahman (cute calves with massive ears!), but he won't be available until mid-January and we'd like to pull our calving back a bit.
So my question is, what are your thoughts about the best way to get the job done. We can get the vet to do AI...where would I get the semen from? Alternatively, is there someone around here that leases a Dexter bull?
Any info would be very useful.
Thanks so much,
Andi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #515142 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Dexter stuff
You could try Bruce Jones, Boxpalm Dexters in Tokomaru, He used to lease Dexter bulls.P M me if you cant find his contact detsils.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 6 months ago #515159 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Dexter stuff
You could ask dairy farmers who are the local A1 technicians. The obtain the semen for you. I have found Dexters can have some very varied temperaments, so I would be careful about choosing a bull. You might find they have Brahman semen as well as I am sure they have lovely temperaments

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds