Dangerous horse?

More
8 years 5 months ago #515082 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Dangerous horse?
[quote="Inger" post=515065}

When I have a bull or a ram that's gone bad, they go to the works or in the freezer as soon as I've finished the breeding season. Sooner, if they're real trouble makers. Horses are still animals, even if heaps of people get very sentimental about them and when it all comes down to it, the life of a human is still more important than the life of an animal.
.[/quote]

I understand your thinking, and I agree that human life is too important to risk with a dangerous animal of any sort... however...I have cattle, sheep, chickens, dogs and have had horses most of my life. Comparing them I would say that the reason that people get sentimental about horses is that they touch something deeper than the other animals, dogs are similar. Would I put down a dangerous dog or horse? Absolutely! But it would effect something in my heart in a way that would not happen if it was a bull or a ram. I guess that is why people spend their time, money and risk their safety trying to rehabilitate these animals to have a continued life. There is something about them that makes us want them to have a long happy life. There is a saying that horse are good for the soul, and I have found that to be true in my life. They can be healing to a person both physically, mentally and emotionally.

I am not saying that this horse should be saved, just sharing my thoughts on why people find it harder than putting down a ram.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anakei, Thoroughbred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #515117 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Dangerous horse?

tonic wrote: [quote="Inger" post=515065}

When I have a bull or a ram that's gone bad, they go to the works or in the freezer as soon as I've finished the breeding season. Sooner, if they're real trouble makers. Horses are still animals, even if heaps of people get very sentimental about them and when it all comes down to it, the life of a human is still more important than the life of an animal.

I understand your thinking, and I agree that human life is too important to risk with a dangerous animal of any sort... however...I have cattle, sheep, chickens, dogs and have had horses most of my life. Comparing them I would say that the reason that people get sentimental about horses is that they touch something deeper than the other animals, dogs are similar. Would I put down a dangerous dog or horse? Absolutely! But it would effect something in my heart in a way that would not happen if it was a bull or a ram. I guess that is why people spend their time, money and risk their safety trying to rehabilitate these animals to have a continued life. There is something about them that makes us want them to have a long happy life. There is a saying that horse are good for the soul, and I have found that to be true in my life. They can be healing to a person both physically, mentally and emotionally.

I am not saying that this horse should be saved, just sharing my thoughts on why people find it harder than putting down a ram.[/quote]

I agree, in our case we paid (for us) substantial money for Daughter's horse so dog tucker was only ever going to be a last resort. We also didn't know if it was a her or us thing and this is where in our case sending her to professionals for assessment sorted it out. They will know if its teeth, feet, back, avoidance techniques learnt, etc.

More
8 years 5 months ago #515134 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Dangerous horse?
I am glad you have found some more info to help you through a tricky decision. It sounds like this horse has been very unhappy for a long time and ending it for him sounds like the best thing you could do. It's a tough decision and one I think many people find too hard - so I think you've done well. Hugs from me.

More
8 years 5 months ago #515136 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Dangerous horse?
Ditto from me too. Unfortunately I think that this person or persons should be exposed so that others do not have to suffer your problem, but I understand how you are not up to doing that just yet :(

More
8 years 5 months ago #515138 by Dunusproud
Replied by Dunusproud on topic Dangerous horse?
Have you had a Horse Chiropractor to check him out?

More
8 years 5 months ago #515139 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Dangerous horse?
I share in your sense of relief to find a like minded former owner. As per my posts, we went down exactly the same track.

I am still grieved that it was at our expense and that the ''buck'' stops with us too. The trouble with naming ''horsey'' folk is there is always someone else who will point the finger back. As I previously mentioned, you so need to have the T's crossed and the I's dotted and then take it through court.

However there are certain horse websites who will name and shame and a search on their sites will show.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds