Dangerous horse?

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #514830 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Dangerous horse?
Firstly thank you for having guts to put up your post. Its about time more horse purchasers did the same thing!

If you can, do a search on some of my former posts re our mare. We had her vetted prior to purchase, tried her out several times, all seemed ok.
Ad (which I still retain) said 100% no buck, bite and bomb proof or some such words. Only a short time later she became a nightmare and dumped my daughter several times at our local ribbon day where she suffered a broken collarbone. Daughter had been riding for many years under formal instruction but this one broke her heart and confidence and it was supposed to be safe and suitable for her level.

Whilst daughter was recovering, the Other Half and I went up to put covers on the horses (we have two). the mare reared up at Hubby and off he went to get his gun. It wasn't a pleasant afternoon by any means but I got a week to sort her out and off the property.

By this time I had been in contact with enough previous owners to obtain feedback to know she was a bad apple before our ''safe and sound'' vendor bought her and received a recommendation from her first owner to send her off to professionals for sorting out. Wayne from Nationwide organised a truck and he also had good words to say about the facility she was being sent to.

Please bear in mind many horsey people consider themselves experts and we went through a few offering to ride her and ''sort'' her out. For every opinion you receive, you will equally receive an opposite.

7 weeks later and she was sent home in disgrace but with a medical referral that our equine vet immediately followed through with. Best thing we ever did and then once that settled her, off she went again to another professional (a local one recommended by many others) for training out the bad behaviour she had learnt as avoidance techniques over the years.

Our daughter then went to him for instruction and worked all together just starting with a trot. When things went bad, he got back on the mare himself to sort it out and was thrown so he continued on with her until he was satisfied daughter could get back on. Just recently we returned to the same site as where the broken collarbone occurred and horse and rider were awarded many places including champion rider.

I feel your lows. But you have options out there. They are not cheap options but please don't try and handle it yourself.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by max2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #514832 by max2
Something else I want to add. Every ''expert'' wants to sell you ''something'' they have that never stops. Stay away from them. Sensible advice re grass affected horses can be found, but the solution doesn't have to be contained in an expensive package.

Bring in your vet to do blood tests, your equine dentist, your farrier. We had success running the first nag barefoot, but not the mare.

Another thing to come back from the professionals was to shoe her again. The next step was to find a proper farrier and we went through them putting backs on fronts etc. Ended up with a race track accredited farrier old school who also happens to be a former school mate of Hubby. Couldn't be happier.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by max2.

More
8 years 5 months ago #514836 by max2
and me again. I was put in touch with a lady who took the previous owner of her nag to court. It was kept very quiet in our area that she did so, and she after providing substantial evidence she was awarded costs.

I think I recall correctly she received about a 1/3 of what she had outlaid and the other party just stopped paying. Her advice to me was to get everything in writing opinion wise. Back your case. But don't pass it on to be someone else's problem because it can come back to haunt you.

More
8 years 5 months ago #514852 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Dangerous horse?
sorry .. but ditto to all above.. hes dangerous, you have kiddys..a horse is not worth the risk to your life..there is something definitely going on with him..i once had a TB that under went major behaviour changes..from a sweety to maniac..no rhime nor reason..this will sound harsh, but made the call to have him pts, vet couldn't get in paddock as horse was attacking!..he was shot from the gate..post mortum showed brain tumour.

my advice, for whats it worth, put the emotion aside..hes horse, not a family member..there are plenty of lovelys out there that will appreciate a good home and give you a lot of good times..

More
8 years 5 months ago #514857 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Dangerous horse?
I'm not a horsey person but if I had a bull that was as dangerous as you describe this horse he'd be in the freezer so fast he wouldn't see next week. Having read through this whole thread it looks like you have tried all sensible measures to cure the undesirable behaviour to no avail. I think you have a genuinely dangerous and nasty animal that is not going to come right so the sooner he's gone the better. Please do not let this experience put you off horses. You've just got a dodgy one this time. Good luck with the next one you buy.

More
8 years 5 months ago #514865 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Dangerous horse?
again I am sorry.. but this thread has sent shivers down my spine...I watched a very good friend preserver with a 'tempermental' horse..she made constant excuses and her tack room looked like a chemist shop with all the potions.

he reared and fell on her .. she lost most of her bowel when the thigh bone dislocated and went thru it..she lost the use of her jaw ( fused at 1 inch open ) when he kicked her in the chin and shattered both joints..she lost a chunk off shoulder muscle when he bit her because she was grooming him etc etc etc ..oh she cant straighten her left arm after he did something to break the elbow..

whilst he didn't actually kill her, her quality of life has been compromised thru some serious injuries..said horse was finally pts after suffering a realy bad neurological episode..so there was something off with him for the 10 years my friend tried to 'rescue' him..
if you had a dog that bit you everytime you went to feed it, groom it etc.. and you couldn't let your kids near it, and your hubby had to have his finger on the 111 speed dial everytime you went out to it... what would you do?..
blerdy horses! I know they are special to many of us, but you don't owe him anything.. if it was a sheep ort a dog or a steer, you wouldn't give it a 2nd thought..my honest opin ion on what you have said.. rearing is a deal breaker, send him off to the local hunt and give a more deserving horse a good home..vets and experts and potions..ask yourself, could ever realy trust him again? if you are losing sleep now, wont let your kids in with him, have to have hubby on watch..realy? .. write up a pros and cons on this and I think you will see how this horse has affected your confidence and your way of life already.. is this what you wanted when you got back into horses?..

hard I know, I have had to make the decision myself more than once ( being a serial rescuer :) )..but sometime you have to say.." I did what I could, there was nothing more I could do"... remember,even if you keep him as a paddock ornament.. they still need vets and blacksmiths and dentists..imagine if one of them got hurt...
ii don't mean to put the guilts on you, but sometimes we have to make the hard call.. and trust me, once it is done and you have moved on, you will wonder why you spent so much on a 'lost cause'..
remember... riding is supposed to be fun...; its like all relationships, if its too hard..it aint worth it and it aint working..

good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doris

More
8 years 5 months ago #514867 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Dangerous horse?
yes, an ex colleague had a TB gelding that was nice enough....that is until a mare got put in his paddock and then something "snapped" in his brain and she could no longer handle him. She tried a few things unsuccessfully, there wasn't any way she could move the mare on as it belonged to someone else. and in the end, made the decision to send him to Jimbos

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: stephclark

More
8 years 5 months ago #514885 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Dangerous horse?
I'm sorry, but you have your family to think of. He has to go, whether that is to be assessed by a trainer or to the DT or hounds you can't take the risk he will get out and go your kids or yourself. You don't need the stress and there are some very nice horses out there waiting for someone like you to give them a fantastic home.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
8 years 5 months ago #514886 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Dangerous horse?
I am not sure how many people are aware of the statistics on injuries due to sport, and no its not rugby but injury due to horses.
I would presume that the number of injuries are disproportionate to the number of people involved in the sport and the majority of these injuries apparently occur with people on the ground, not actually riding.

More
8 years 5 months ago #514892 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Dangerous horse?
I'm so sorry to read of your experiences and agree with the others above that it sounds like your horse is turning into a dangerous individual. :angry: It's also poor that the previous owners have not been honest and could have prevented you from a lot of heartache.

Life is far too short to play about with dangerous bad mannered horses, and you probably also know it costs just as much to keep a bad one as it does a good one.

For the horse, there are far worse things than death, being passed from owner to owner and being ill treated would not be an ideal future for the horse.
I wonder how bad this horse's teeth and back are - generally things like this start with physical issues and then move onto a temperamental issue as the horse just cannot stand the pain so does everything to not be ridden to avoid the pain.

Charging people/horses, snakey biting, kicking and front footing etc are not normal polite gelding or mare behaviours so you also have to wonder if the horse has not been properly gelded in the first place as these are typically stallion behaviours.

I'm afraid I would definitely cut your losses for your own safety and send him off to DT, there is nothing wrong with saying that enough is enough!
In the meantime you should wear a crash helmet when approaching this horse, I also suggest you find a capable helper to assist you and if unable to get someone to help out take a big stick and a long rope with you to wave about and keep him well away from reaching you if you do have to go in the paddock for any reason and just be VERY CAREFUL!

If you have to catch him please use a very long rope - one of those 12m ropes would be good, that way if he does go up in the air and wave his feet about you can keep well away from him but still retain some control. Wear gloves as rope burn is no fun.

(((hugs))) I think you need them.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
8 years 5 months ago #515020 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic Dangerous horse?
I have read this and really recommend that you have his teeth checked. Many a horse has gone from docile to dangerous because he is is so much pain. Do nit make a hasty decision that he is nit worth helping before you get his teeth checked.

More
8 years 5 months ago #515029 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic Dangerous horse?
Hi Doris,

Without seeing it , it is hard to say if the horse is in pain/stress or simply knows how to get the better of you.

Either way, I don't think he is the horse for you. You mention hard feeding and changing covers etc. These are not activities to do with a horse that is trying to bully you. Take all his covers off, he doesn't need them, best you live another day rather than you horse stay sleek and shiny (who knows maybe he doesn't like them anyway. My farm nags certainly don't appreciate them). Stop hard feeding. Maybe even stop mucking out when he is in there. Sounds like you and this horse need to give each other some space before this escalates further.
Out of interest, does he have a paddockmate or can he see other horses? Just trying to work out what's got him in such a tizzy.

I think you are best to write a very open and honest trademe advert with a cheap pricetag and move him along. Someone with the right skills may come out of the woodwork and take him off your hands. Otherwise he's probably best as dog meat.

Go get yourself a nice crossbred of some kind.

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
8 years 5 months ago #515036 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Dangerous horse?
My only advice is that if you involve any other person in what you decide to do with this horse then you must warn them of its aggressive behaviour.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
8 years 5 months ago #515065 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Dangerous horse?
I don't understand the hesitation? The animal is dangerous. Does it really matter why he's dangerous? There are so very many nice horses looking for a good home, so why persevere? Call the dog food people and start looking for another horse that is well behaved. This one is dangerous. It's not your fault that he's dangerous, he just is, so he's got to go.

When I have a bull or a ram that's gone bad, they go to the works or in the freezer as soon as I've finished the breeding season. Sooner, if they're real trouble makers. Horses are still animals, even if heaps of people get very sentimental about them and when it all comes down to it, the life of a human is still more important than the life of an animal.

Think of your kids. If you got badly injured, how when your children manage with a disabled mum? Don't take the risk, phone the pet food company.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #515072 by eldenwood2
Replied by eldenwood2 on topic Dangerous horse?
Hey everyone, further back in these posts OP stated she had decided and was going to have the horse put down, so think is probably fait accompli by now! ( see end of last post from Doris on 1st Nov.)

Elaine and Denis,Now living in Perth...
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by eldenwood2. Reason: Supplied extra detail..

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds