Dangerous horse?

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #514744 by Thunda
Dangerous horse? was created by Thunda
Hi Doris, so sorry to hear this. Where are you? can you get someone experinced to check out the horse and his behaviour and give you an honest assessment? Then at least you know what your up against (and sorry to say but - if it is worth it).
He could be in pain and associating being handled/ridden by a human with pain. EG: sore back, saddle doesn't fit, issues in his mouth etc.
Is he a Thoroughbred or Standardbred? You say he is a TB that ended up at a SB rehab place? Would be good to clarify.
I think you need to ensure you are not putting yourself in a situation where you are going to get really hurt.
Is he on alot of hard feed? I would cut out anything with alot of energy in it, spring grass is coming through and some horses can get extremly grass affected.
Has anything changed ie: has his behaviour changed with grass growth or change of feed.
I know this is alot of questions but hopefully things work out :)
Best wishes
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Thunda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514745 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic Dangerous horse?
Hi Doris

I don't know where you live, but I can get in contact with one or two experts who might be able to help identify what the problem is for your horse. Do let us know your location - I'm sure someone on here can help you.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514747 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic Dangerous horse?
Hi, sorry to hear you are not enjoying your horse.
Unfortunately it sounds like you have been taken for an absolute ride (no pun intended) by the seller and that this horse is certainly not for someone in your situation.
This is a situation where you have to put emotion aside and be purely rational - he has kicked you in the paddock - the fact that it was lightly was just pure luck that he didn't kill you accidentally.
You need to get someone experienced to help assess the situation who is not emotionally attached and help you make a decision about his future - this might not be life or death just not with you or it may be with you just with a change of feed, teeth attended to etc and some help coming to grips with his behaviour and him getting used to your expectations.
Whereabouts are you located?
Also if you look for another horse please get some experienced help as a lot of sellers are not particularly honest and to be a wee bit brutal as soon as I started reading your post I was thinking "why, why why did she buy that horse", I understand you felt like you were helping him out but now you are the one in desperate need of help. There are lots of lovely horses out there that you could be enjoying which is ultimately what riding is about.
Good luck and don't think you are alone.

Confirmed horse addict.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514751 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic Dangerous horse?
Hi,
You should be able to find someone in the area to help ok, there are plenty of equestrians in NC.
The first thing I would do is take him off all hard feed, he simply doesn't need it if he is not being ridden, you are just putting money down his throat for no reason.
I would also try to limit his grass intake but you must replace this with plenty of good quality hay to keep his gut going - many a horse turns nuts on spring grass.
Before you spend truck loads of money on supplements etc I would definitely get someone experienced to help, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Also I would stay away from Facebook groups or people advertising on those sorts of places as most of them tend to be dreamers, ask at your local saddler, riding school etc. Ideally someone who takes horses for schooling on a professional / semi pro basis is what you want as they will be more honest about you and your horse in terms of making a go of things.
Don't worry, most of us (if we are honest) will say at one time or another we have made a less-than-ideal choice when it comes to horse power, its what you do now that matters.

Confirmed horse addict.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514753 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Dangerous horse?
Dont be too upset if you have to rehome him, as your life is more important than the horses! It could just be a case of too much of a good thing with the hard feed, and also you may have to become really tough with him, and put him back in line, even if you have to carry a stick for a few times when you are in the paddock, he has found that he can get the better of you, and is going to hurt you really badly if you cannot get him sorted. When we have had young horses with bad attitudes, we have normally roped their legs and if neccessary have dropped them onto the ground to think about things for a while,(we stayed withs them and watched them while they were down, sometimes out of the horses sight, then made a big fuss of them when we let them up) but as he is an older horse, he needs an experienced person to sort him out, and if it cannot be done then so be it. There is other horses out there, and normally an appaloosa or QH will be easier to handle than a TB who has been raced.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514758 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Dangerous horse?
I would definitely get a second opinion from an experienced horse person.
Dangerous animals should not be tolerated under any circumstances, things can happen too quickly.
Also if he has had the better of you a couple of times, he will know he can do that.
Horses usually misbehave out of fear or pain, his behaviour does not sound normal and there is more to it than just his feed. You may also find that the grass can be making him difficult, it can go to a horses head at this time of the year.
I would definitely have him independently assessed for your own safety, and i wouldnt be mucking around with a horse that is not safe. life is too short for that
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
8 years 6 months ago #514767 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Dangerous horse?
so so0rry to hear about your horse....it should be a great experience not this

I too would be getting a very experienced person to check him out, bare in mind he may be past saving with that sort of nasty behaviour :(

One of my friends had to have her house pts when she was 17 as he reared a few times & landed on her once, then he reared & flipped over on the lunge for her instructor....then he ran at her father & reared up infront of him when he went to feed him one day....the vet was called to try & work out what was wrong... a brain tumor was what the vet diagnosed, the behaviour change was quite quick I think

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #514768 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Dangerous horse?
Doris ....you are in danger :( I do not know why your horse is reacting as he is but it sounds very much like it is escalating and not improving ...it could be grass but that usually makes them hyper rather than aggressive and dangerous ...get him checked by someone experienced ...very experienced !!!
I have bred a few horses and early on in my breeding I had a horse that was dangerous ..he was fine as a baby but as he grew he got anti strangers ...I had him gelded at 9 months to see if that helped ...he was nearly 17hands by 2 years old and his behaviour was getting out of hand ...he was fine with me but kicked my niece when she tried to lunge him and would attack in paddock for no reason ...ears back and front footing and double barrels from behind ...In the end I got hold of an old horseman and he said he would break him in for me to see if that helped. He said there had only ever been 1 horse he could not break in...long story short after 3 or 4 weeks my boy was able to be saddled and ridden around the round pen ...and then it rained and things got too soggy for working him for a week or so ...I got a phone call from the breaker ...he said that my horse had tried to kill him ...he had needed his wife to distract him with a broom to get out of the pen ...the old fella said he would go ahead and finish the job and break him into saddle for me IF I wanted but that one day the horse would kill someone :( I made the hard decision (well it was for me as this horse was fine with me ...would follow me like a puppy but not so with any other human) I had him put down and given to the hounds :( I did not want to be responsible for killing any body and I did not really want this horse with me for the rest of his life :(
Sadly there is the odd one that is either just plain nasty ...or he could have something going on in his brain ...or pain somewhere that is getting worse ..in any case ...this horse is not the pleasure he should be for you and you would be best to let him go one way or another and get something that you can love and enjoy.
My boy was looked after all his life ...had never been hurt, hungry or abused and he was just too nasty to trust to anyone safely.
Good Luck ...and don't give up on horses ...so many lovely ones out there need homes just like yours :)
Also ...is there any come back on the person you bought this horse off ...have you tried contacting them and letting them know what is going on ...they must have been aware he had problems! :(

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by terralee.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514772 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Dangerous horse?
Epsom Salts is a sedative which might remotely, perhaps, maybe calm him down a bit, and might also raise his blood magnesium level. Inadequate magnesium makes cattle and sheep crazy ..... before they fall over in a quivering heap with with Grass Staggers. (Not Rye Grass Staggers which is another disease completely, caused by something else. It is remotely possible that he has RG Staggers if you are still on very short grass, but it would be unusually early if it was.)

epsom
salts is a sedative

More
8 years 6 months ago #514776 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic Dangerous horse?
Have a read of Calm Healthy Horses website. Behaviour can be grass related. I have my mini on the diet recommended by CHH and she is so much more sensible but was never ever dangerous just a bit scatty and silly, she is on the diet for laminitic issues though.

I believe the lady that runs CHH is in Canterbury somewhere, she has been very helpful when I have emailed her.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514779 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Dangerous horse?
Doris, I would not be at all concerned what other people think and if you send the horse off somewhere, no one has to know where its going - it could be for retraining or for the meatworks
Dont put yourself in a position of danger
Dont fiddle around with a bit of epsom salts here, a bit of magnesium there, just get it sorted in the safest possible way for you without your being endangered.
The horse now knows your scared, they are not psychic, but can work on energy levels .
Something is going on with the horse, with the horses relationship with you or with other factors.
If it were mine, the horse would be out of there a long time ago and that means either to a trainers or the works

More
8 years 6 months ago #514799 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Dangerous horse?
I suggest you look up the Calm Healthy Horses website, but also look up Warwick Schiller Performance Horses. Warwick has a very clear, systematic training programme that anyone can follow. You can buy a subscription to his on line training videos and he has a facebook page where he and lots of helpers answer questions. He also has a You Tube channel with tasters of his training. I strongly recommend his programme to anyone who is having issues with their horse.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514810 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Dangerous horse?
muri, I well appreciate the danger of the situation, and I too could not be bothered to keep going. But I think that Doris wants a solution other than the lead injection if at all possible. Thus my suggestion as a last or near last resought.
Doris, another suggestion if you are able to put a halter on him, is to get an experienced horse vet to take a blood sample to check for mineral imbalances.
My equines are much smaller than yours, so when they misbehave and act aggressively by doing what donkeys do naturally (bite, kick, rear), them I am able to do the same to them to show them how unpleasant it is. They learn very quickly that I am the dominant donkey, and I seldom have problems when I can give them a communicating to in a way a donkey understands. But I suspect that you will not be able to find or use an effective communication technique. Thus, use him for dog food by getting someone that knows how to shoot horses to shoot him. Shooting horses is different than pigs, cattle ,sheep.

More
8 years 6 months ago #514815 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Dangerous horse?
How long have you had him, and don't be put off by the so called sellers reputation, there are a lot of people out there who take TBs off the track and on sell them saying they are OK, in my opinion this should be a criminal offence as a lot of these horses have some serious issues. Rearing is a deal breaker in a horse it is incrediably dangerous.
Have a chat to the previous owners/ handlers, if you can find his original owner check the Tb website ...he should have a brand , if you can get close enough...
If you have only had him a couple of weeks I would be asking for my $$$ back and for them to remove the horse.
Are you feeding him anything ie oats ?

More
8 years 6 months ago #514828 by Garret
Replied by Garret on topic Dangerous horse?
Hi Doris
You purchased the horse based on a description from a well regarded horse person in your region - there really isn't too much wrong with that - don't be hard in yourself, if we're honest most of us can look back and admit to doing something similar :)
The only learning may be to get a second experienced opinion before making the next purchasing decision (ask for a trial next time, if they won't find another horse)?
DO NOT compromise your safety now with this horse as everyone has said here it is not worth it!
This doesn't sound like a 'watch a video and work through it situation' for a second.
Stay safe, get an expert to assess and jointly make the appropriate decisions but take no risks on what is clearly dangerous horse!
Stay safe.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds