Rabbit Removal suggestions please

More
8 years 5 months ago #514602 by Geba
- so far my choices are: shoot the rabbits (with HP air rifle or.22) or trap them (Triptrap trap, baited with carrot). The field of fire is variable which makes being *able* to shoot with the .22 a bit hit & miss (so to speak - I mean there are only a few places to get a safe shot), so I am going to try a high powered air rifle and see how that succeeds. Trapping so far has only resulted in an empty trap and smug, better fed rabbits. Any further suggestions are welcome please as there is not going to be enough grass to support rabbits and sheep and the sheep are priority one :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #514603 by Stikkibeek
Snares are also a possibility but OH has shot rabbits successfully with an HP air rifle

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 5 months ago #514605 by Alan Gilbert
I use a Gamo 1000fps .177, and that is effective on rabbits out to about 25-30 metres. I have recently changed to H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme pellets, and they seem to have better stopping power than the ordinary H&N solid point stuff.
Don't get a .22 air rifle – they seldom group well, and the pellet is much slower (and being bigger has more air resistance so slows down faster) and therefore drops further for the same distance travelled, making accurate shooting difficult unless you are always firing at exactly the same distance at which you zeroed the rifle.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #514608 by Kilmoon
We have some restricted angles for shooting as well, so we deliberately over winter (we also lay Pindone each winter) set up 'hides' so that we have good areas of camouflage to shoot from. .22 rifles scoped and sighted in for usually a 80-100m shot range, with bipods so we can lay down (we also tend to sight our rifles in each year - winter - in the areas we're going to shoot). We head out about 3pm and lay in wait for several hours. Very relaxing actually, almost zen like. So far our baby bunny kill is higher than the adults, but by walking around the property at various times of the day we can see where they come out from, scope out good shooting ranges and then lay in wait over the next few days. Then we leave it a week or so, and go out shooting again.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Kilmoon.

More
8 years 5 months ago #514611 by wttmf
You can get low velocity .22, either CCI Quiet at around 700fps or if your rifle will accept is .22 long at about the same velocity but slightly lighter projectile. You will be good for humane kill at longer range that air rifle.

More
8 years 5 months ago #514617 by tonybaker
I've tried air rifles and had some success, but the most effective remedy was to allow wild cats to adopt you! OK the birds may suffer but boy they do clean up the rabbits. I've seen a hungry mum chase down a rabbit just like a lion does by tapping their hind legs!
I usually trap the male cats, who only seem to come around seasonally, otherwise you get too many cats/kittens. At the moment, one wild cat is living with the kune kune's, even sleeping on their backs at night. Household cats don't seem to be able to catch rabbits?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 5 months ago #514619 by kindajojo
Our lab does a good job of digging up the burrows and gets the babies , but is way too slow to chase a rabbit. The hares are a problem, too big for the air gun, can't get close enough and it doesn't seem to stop them.....and they are big .....

More
8 years 5 months ago #514644 by Geba
Thanks folks, responses are much appreciated. The .177 is pretty much what I was thinking of, as the .22 with either 'normal' or sub-sonic ammo has too long a range for my restricted space. I do have wild cat/s around - smelt, but never seen :( which must be keeping the rabbits down to some extent. And I do like the evening stalking idea, I shall find some handy spots to use!

More
8 years 5 months ago #514649 by Muz1
The .177 will do hares BUT as with rabbits, it is best to hit them between the ear and the eye. I have shot lots of small game with an air rifle over the years and found this aiming point the best. Takes some practice but air rifle pellets are pretty cheap to fire at targets to get your shooting right.
No damaged meat either.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
8 years 5 months ago #514663 by igor
Have you considered using a shotgun?

More
8 years 5 months ago #514666 by diggs
Almost impossible to remove completely, you need to use all options.

Kapiti

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds