I've given up

More
8 years 6 months ago #511829 by kai
I've given up was created by kai
no more animals for me.

Yesterday we had arranged for someone to shoot a goat, one that had been bread for the purpose of going in the freezer. Doing the round up I realised we were missing a goat (we only had four, so easy to work out that there is one too few). I went looking and found her dead. She was my favourite, very affectionate, always called to me when she saw me. She was initially destined for the freezer, but she had so much personality she got herself a name - Kitty. The last time I saw her she seemed fit as a fiddle.
That now makes 4 goats that we have lost in the last year. I don't know what is wrong with this land. Our last place was really crappy land and the goats thrived. Here the grass is too green I think.
So the last two goats are going off to a friends place and that is the last. I can't cope with seeing them die and not being able to do anything about it. They all had been drenched, had mineral supplements, extra food etc. I don't know what has gone wrong, but I am not going to let another animal die here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513054 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic I've given up
Any suggestions from your vet?

More
8 years 6 months ago #513056 by kai
Replied by kai on topic I've given up
two were definitely barbers pole worm. This one, it is the wrong time of year for it and they were all drenched a month ago. I did not call the vet for this one as it was already dead and not called lazerus.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513057 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic I've given up
I would guess thiamine which you might be able to check in the goats that have just gone. I do not know how thiamine is tested for in an animal, but if taking blood from an animal is too difficult or unreliable you could get the new owners to try thiamine supplementation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513061 by kai
I have just googled that, there were no symptoms, fine one day dead the next. Without an autopsy it could have been anything.
thinking growing garlic would be less traumatic.

More
8 years 6 months ago #513066 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic I've given up
Sorry to hear that. I agree that if you want to continue with the goats a general talk to a vet might be a good idea. They may be able to see a pattern to the deaths, or alternatively reassure you that it's just been a run of bad luck and no reason to expect problems in the future. But there's nothing wrong with growing garlic either!

hilldweller

More
8 years 6 months ago #513101 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic I've given up

kai;520130 wrote: thinking growing garlic would be less traumatic.

Oh I don't know about that, fairly risky I think if they're garlic bred![}:)]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 6 months ago #513105 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic I've given up

LongRidge;520125 wrote: I would guess thiamine which you might be able to check in the goats that have just gone. I do not know how thiamine is tested for in an animal, but if taking blood from an animal is too difficult or unreliable you could get the new owners to try thiamine supplementation.

There is so many things wrong with this that i don't know where to start.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
8 years 6 months ago #513108 by Farmersden
Replied by Farmersden on topic I've given up
Sorry to hear that you have lost another goat. Some animals will be better suited to your land than others. We took on two feral kid goats who require minimum effort to maintain. If you have decided no more animals there are plenty of things you should be able to grow to keep the freezer full veggie wise. Have you considered keeping ducks, once fenced in, good supply of all round eggs and meat?

More
8 years 6 months ago #513110 by kate
Replied by kate on topic I've given up
Sorry Kai, I know it can be heartbreaking.....and emotionally exhausting. Form me, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks but I know I'm very lucky with my goats.

Web Goddess

More
8 years 6 months ago #513117 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic I've given up
Thinking of you Kai, it is always hard when you have this happen. :(

More
8 years 6 months ago #513121 by kai

Farmersden;520183 wrote: Sorry to hear that you have lost another goat. Some animals will be better suited to your land than others. We took on two feral kid goats who require minimum effort to maintain. If you have decided no more animals there are plenty of things you should be able to grow to keep the freezer full veggie wise. Have you considered keeping ducks, once fenced in, good supply of all round eggs and meat?

Yes, one time the vet was here, he said one of our biggest problems was that the grass was too lush and green. It is the old, be careful of what you wish for, you might just get it. We wanted good fertile land, unfortunately it is too good. We are planning a holiday to India, so the fewer animals the better at the moment.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds