Kids drinking from only one teat...

More
8 years 7 months ago #511816 by kate
A couple of my does have kids that only drink from one teat so the other teat is massive...this happens even in does that have twins. Should I milk out the other teat to encourage the kids to drink from it or leave well alone?

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #512901 by Baroque
If it was me I would milk it out.

One of mine did this last year, I spent several days milking it out and they started drinking off it eventually.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
8 years 7 months ago #512915 by Stikkibeek
My maiden goat Yoda, has a massive udder with two thick teats. Her kid is a one side only and even so, has trouble getting its mouth over her teat. I have been milking her out each day since the kid was 2 days old and shared the first milk with all from a bottle (Including the triplets) now the colostrum is gone, am still sharing the morning milk with the triplets, and the house and it is multiplying in the fridge as she is giving 9.5 pints each time. She's an absolute pig to milk and it takes two of us to control her in the milk stand, but she is going to learn as she is destined to become a house goat full time. At present we are battling her sitting on the chain, dropping to the floor, wrestling her head out of the head holder and kicking. She is extremely ticklish which is why we have so much trouble with her. Once the bigger milking machine is on line and I don't have to hand milk her, things hopefully will be easier. She is making so much milk that it runs from her in a constant stream from the first bunt by the baby.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 7 months ago #512916 by Baroque
LOL and I thought I had it bad tying the goat to a gate with its horns and milking it kneeling on the ground! I like to tie them up really tight [with a quick release knot] so they can't move about much. :p

Yours sounds like a nightmare to milk for a dairy goat, mine was a Boer so understandably not too keen on my hand milking her especially as I am learning

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
8 years 7 months ago #512919 by LongRidge
It is a bit of a challenge to decide this one. If you milk her then she will keep producing milk, and you have to have a use for the milk. Also, milking even more than the kids need means that she will lose condition. If you don't milk her then production will slow, but it may leave a teat that is too large for kids to suckle in future years.

More
8 years 7 months ago #512922 by HarryPotter
Yes Kate I would suggest that you ease it off so that it is easier for the doe to carry the udder and for the kids to access the teat more easily. There is less risk of injury and infection.
Kids do take preference to particular sides and there is the risk that constant draining of one side can inhibit milk production on that side .

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
8 years 6 months ago #512963 by igor
Yes, Kate, definitely continue to milk her out fully each day or twice a day preferably.
Stikki, be thankful you have a goat not a cow.

More
8 years 6 months ago #512980 by kate
Thanks everyone, I'll get on to that :D

28th kid born this morning, only six does left to kid....

Web Goddess

More
8 years 6 months ago #512982 by Stikkibeek

igor;520022 wrote: Yes, Kate, definitely continue to milk her out fully each day or twice a day preferably.
Stikki, be thankful you have a goat not a cow.

Or an elephant! :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds