Do you control rats or possums with baits?

More
10 years 7 months ago #468417 by max2
No worries Ruth, no link assumed. :)

I'm quite happy to admit we annoy that neighbour anyhow even mowing the lawn. We love our place and really enjoy working together towards getting it up to scratch and I see her watching on with hands on hips obviously displeased.

Its the only one we p*ss off, the others congratulate us on how much better it is starting to look. Some even joined us recently to help with mulching. Really appreciate the goods ones.[^] :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469311 by Belle Bosse

katieb;470727 wrote:
Pest off rodent blocks are what killed the possums

Just a note of caution regarding Pestoff otherwise known as Brodificoum.

This was used on our neighbour's property towards the end of 2012 for pest control of possums, mustelids and rodents...

UNFORTUNATELY... it practically wiped out our bushland area's little owl / Ruru population at the same time.

When we bought our property the Ruru calls in the pines at evening and overnight were almost deafening, which we found delightful.
But... the pines and bushland were mostly silent after the pest control episode. There were only one or two Ruru calls...

Pestoff takes up to 25 days to kill rats and possums. The poison then goes on to bykill cats and mustelids... and beautiful birds of prey!

Ruru only eat live prey and if the mouse/rodent has eaten the bait, the Ruru also dies. The Hawks frequently eat dead animals so they are also at risk of being unintentionally poisoned.

Please think carefully before using this product...

It will take quite a while for the Ruru population to recover to what it used to be... :(

More
10 years 7 months ago #469321 by Inger
We put PestOff blocks on nails, inside the yellow tunnels, in the hen houses and the Engineer's shed. We also have a column of blocks on a wire, inside the garage. No problem with the poultry getting them that way.

Don't have many rats though, as there is hardy any activity on the baits. We killed a few mice over winter, but that's about it.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469350 by Ruth

Belle Bosse;471802 wrote: ...Ruru only eat live prey and if the mouse/rodent has eaten the bait, the Ruru also dies. The Hawks frequently eat dead animals so they are also at risk of being unintentionally poisoned.

Please think carefully before using this product...

That's the big deal with that stuff which I worry is not widely recognised. Big pest-control programmes use it in pulses, so it isn't continually being pumped into the environment. It can hang around for months.

More
10 years 7 months ago #469370 by BlueSkyBee
I have a guy who comes periodically to use cyanide on the possums here, his baits are out for 24 hours, then taken away with him, and the dead bodies.

I looked into using the Tui 'possun off?' or something like that, but when I read up about the active ingredient, it overloaded the body with calcium, meaning the possums starve to death over a week or more, and decided I was not into doing that to them, as much as I dislike the wee blighters!

But I am in the process of renewing my firearms licence and will be shooting, so hopefully the cyanide won't be necessary for too much longer.

To dig in one’s own earth, with one’s own spade, does life hold anything better? –Beverly Nichols

More
10 years 7 months ago #469583 by muri
I know where the expression 'i smell a rat' comes from.
Had to use bait behind my dishwasher in the kitchen as the 4 legged ratters arent able to catch anything that gets in there and lately it has been rats
So i have put a bait down there and can now smell a rat, but luckily only when outside.
I also came home on the weekend to find large holes gnawed in my avocado on the bench.
I now have a ferret trap on part of the bench [not used for cooking etc] with a gnawed avocado in plus a bit of peanut butter as bait, but have not heard or seen the blighter, so maybe the poison did get it.
Putting out a lot of bait at once is counterproductive or should I say expensive. It takes about a week to work on rats, a bit shorter with mice, so you only have to put one out and occasionally. I think that would be just as effective and a lot cheaper as they could gnaw thru the whole pile in one week before it took effect
I certainly hate using the poisons but I dont like these rodents in my kitchen either so have no choice

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds