3 or 4 wire electric fencing

More
8 years 9 months ago #40009 by whinny
Hi all :)
Driveway to be cut in the next few months (if the weather behaves) and it's going to need to be fenced pretty quickly. Both sides will total approx. 800m. Unfortunately 8 wire post & batten is outside our budget (the 400m boundary cost $8.5k 2 months ago) but probably not really necessary as only internal fencing.

I've read that electric is often a cheaper option and we've seen 3 wire work fine for horses and cattle. However will 3 wire keep in sheep and smaller ponies or would 4 wire be needed?
Also, any ideas of cost per metre?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510500 by LongRidge
Hot wires cannot be relied on to keep sheep in at any time, especially when their wool is long and dry, and the ground is dry. You are likely to need 7 wires of which the bottom 3 are hot. If the fence is for your convenience then try the 4 wires, and put on more if needed. Y posts (use a y post rammer) are easy to work with. Alternate hot and un-electrified will work nearly as well as all hot on the bottom.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510508 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic 3 or 4 wire electric fencing
Good luck keeping sheep in with less than five wires and even then it's a bit dicey. Cattle are good with two or three. Little calves need at least three.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510517 by whinny
Replied by whinny on topic 3 or 4 wire electric fencing
Hmmmm ok food for thought, as you can see I haven't had sheep before [:I]

Wanting to cross graze with horses and unfortunately owning cattle isn't really an option as no loading ramp or decent yards on our land. Maybe I could just ask our neighbours if they wanted to let their cattle come through periodically as there are gates on all 3 boundaries...? Until we can afford to get better fencing.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510595 by hilldweller
4 is ok for most sheep, most of the time. It'll work better if your landis flat or on an even gradient than full of lumps and ups.

hilldweller

More
8 years 9 months ago #510597 by LongRidge
.... or if you can bulldoze the fenceline to even out the ups and downs.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510602 by Sandra Pedersen
My experience with sheep is they go through most unelectrified fences that only have 3 wires. I suggest that you put a mains electric fence unit in then you won't have issues with the fence having flat batteries is you use a battery unit.As others have said try 3 first you can always add more wires if needed and warratahs are good. Don't have them too far apart and a good strainer at each end.

sandra pedersen

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds