We finally bought our block!!!!

More
8 years 9 months ago #40003 by ruthie_rufus
Hi!
WE FINALLY BOUGHT OUR BLOCK its in Hunterville in the Manawatu :-)
It's 8&1/2 acre of contured land, all ready and waiting for all our permaculture, bio-diverse dreams to come true!
Sadly, we are still in Melbourne paying it off, but it wont be too long.. :D
Our friend lives not too far away in Tokomaru, 30mins away, but when we do move home id love to hear from any others who are into seed sharing, or crafting, or making new friends. We're kiwis btw- if that helps (teeheee).

EXCITING TIMES AHEAD!
Ruth x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510482 by Ruth
Congratulations! :) "Contoured" sounds so civilized. Is it bare land or with a dwelling?

More
8 years 9 months ago #510484 by Hawkspur
Congratulations! Exciting times ahead!

More
8 years 9 months ago #510495 by Deanna
Congratulations, come on home.......

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510505 by ruthie_rufus
Thank you!! Yes bare land, we have lots of plans for it. We want to build an earthship like someone down in Otago did :-) its a bit of a job with permits etc but thats our dream home! Kitchen garden, food forest, and swales.
Chickens and ducks and pigs Oh My!
We will have to make sure we do one thing at a time and not rush anything, make sure we do it all thoroughly. I could imagine it would be easy to get caught up in the excitment and do too much at once.
Hopefully not too far away ill will be on the forems with the rest of you, with joys to share and questions to ask :-)
R x

More
8 years 9 months ago #510524 by Hawkspur
I don't want to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, as it is an exciting time, but are you sure you want an earthship in a humid environment? They have been found to have issues in places more humid than, say, New Mexico. Much of NZ is very high humidity for a lot of the time. You will also need a lot of heavy labour to build it, and it is a lot of hard work.

There are a few sites on the web that are either very pro or very anti earthships, but there are also some that are quite balanced. I recommend you have a good look at everything you can find.

Context is very important in building design. Trying to apply a single design to different sites, climates, societies etc is to repeat the mistakes of any international architectural movement. Modernism is a prime example, as it was regarded as the first "International Style".

More
8 years 9 months ago #510532 by ruthie_rufus
Thanks for the info, will continue to research :-)

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds