White tail bite

More
8 years 9 months ago #510515 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic White tail bite

HollyM;517453 wrote: Most likely, but he can't confirm with out any proof.. There seems to be a bit of a debate on White Tails and if they do actually cause ulcerations etc.

And with doctors logging cases such as yours as 'insect' bites (spiders aren't insects) the debate/doubt about WT bites will continue :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510538 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic White tail bite

Organix;517455 wrote: And with doctors logging cases such as yours as 'insect' bites (spiders aren't insects) the debate/doubt about WT bites will continue :rolleyes:

Yup... Drs cant identify a White Tail spider...
Had one crawl into my ear a few years ago and in the morning had to go to the local emergency clinic to get it removed... thankfully it did not try biting while wedged in the ear canal, scratching at the ear drum! I drowned it with olive oil and citronella oil.

First ID of "insect" was a moth.
I had told them I suspected a White Tail spider. My reasoning was I had seen White Tail spiders in the caravan and removed several in the weeks before. As it crawled into my ear I'd felt a long slim, soft abdomen when I tried to brush it away. It moved away from light when I shone a torch into my ear... moths are drawn to light.

Second attempt at ID when the thing was still wedged and suitable long slim implements were being located to pull it out..." a fly or bee..."
I told them I dont think so... flies do not fly in the dark at 2am and neither do bees. Both are drawn to light. Flies don't have long slim soft bodies.

Third ID attempt was when it was pulled out... it became a "wasp type" insect!:o
The silly Dr still would not accept my ID of it being a White Tail spider!! I told him the stripey legs belong to a white tail, the head is a white tail shape, the thorax is a white tail spider's shape. And even though it was dark from being wet with oil, the white tip could still be seen on the tail and the spinnerets were also White Tail... And the "thing" had 8 legs, where-as a wasp would have 6...
But they STILL did not believe me that I knew a White Tail spider when I saw one!!:confused::confused:
Looking at it under a magnifying glass at home, it was DEFINITELY a large White Tail Spider!

If you ever find a spider's white silken spun, half dome shaped "egg purse" filled with pretty pink eggs, its a White Tail's nest.
Mum wont be too far from it... the largest White Tail spiders I've caught and kept in jars have both spun the silken purses and filled them with noticeably pink eggs. (pink colour leaning towards fluorescent pink).
I squashed the last spider and egg nest I found. Mum was still guarding it even though I'd moved the object the nest was fastened to.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510548 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic White tail bite
White tails don't fit the "norm" of ordinary spiders, in that they are hunters, rather than trappers; don't spin a web to catch prey. I like to leave a few daddy long-legs in the corners of the ceiling, as the moment they disappear, (read eaten) it's a sure sign that WTs are in the house.
They are spectacularly sensitive to fly spray! [}:)] I have come across quite a few in the garden here, so have taken to wearing gloves which I never used to bother with.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 9 months ago #510559 by HollyM
Replied by HollyM on topic White tail bite
Oh Belle Boose! How awful having one in your ear!! But very glad it didn't bite you!!
Yep, they are nasty little buggers - and by what has happened with my leg, i hope i never see one again (highly doubtful, I know!)

More
8 years 9 months ago #510565 by manymules
Replied by manymules on topic White tail bite
I am NOT going to tell the spider in ear story to my friend currently living in a caravan in my garden. She already has a spider phobia, and any kind of spider on the ceiling in the lounge are closely inspected (from a distance) while reaching for the fly swat.

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

More
8 years 9 months ago #510620 by 2D
Replied by 2D on topic White tail bite

Stikkibeek;517499 wrote:
....They are spectacularly sensitive to fly spray! [}:)].

What brand are you using, Stikkibeek? That has certainly NOT been my experience using Mortein, Black Flag and another brand I can't remember. If you know a brand they are sensitive to I shall get it because we definitely have white tails in the house here.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510621 by Sandra Pedersen
Replied by Sandra Pedersen on topic White tail bite
You definitely need to seek medical attention my mother and niece were both hospitalised from white tail spider bites.

sandra pedersen

More
8 years 9 months ago #510625 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic White tail bite
As Stikkibeek said, White Tail spiders are hunters... of other spiders, so if your resident spider population drops, there could be a white tail spider lurking round somewhere.

Good news is they don't do too well after a good whack with a "jandal" or other suitable piece of foot-wear.
They are also really easy to catch in jars... put the jar over them and slide a piece of paper between the jar and other surface, then seal with lid. To keep one alive in a jar, occasionally catch another spider and drop it in the jar and seal lid. The black house spiders that make a webby mess in the house do fine...

Lol, Manymules, spare your poor friend the spider tale!
Though you have just reminded me of a most entertaining evening years ago... watching a flatmate and her best friend who is petrified of spiders, watch of all things, the movie "Arachnophobia". Ghastly film, but the girls reactions were so entertaining I found it hilariously funny. That they would put themselves through it and watched to the end, screaming and jumping etc, I really can't work out WHY??

More
8 years 9 months ago #510626 by Stikkibeek

2D;517571 wrote: What brand are you using, Stikkibeek? That has certainly NOT been my experience using Mortein, Black Flag and another brand I can't remember. If you know a brand they are sensitive to I shall get it because we definitely have white tails in the house here.

I use Black flag, but you need to buy the blowfly strength one. Makes the WT very dead, very quickly. Also very useful against those Gisborne (read Australian) cockroaches too, if you are unlucky enough to have them.
They are most efficient hitch-hilers

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
8 years 9 months ago #510630 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic White tail bite
If you squash a juicy white-tail on your wall or ceiling, wipe it off immediately. Otherwise, if you leave it for a year, it's really hard to remove the gunk.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510643 by muri
Replied by muri on topic White tail bite
My son, who used to have pet spiders, told me that the white tail are actually not poisonous. However, their venom comes from what they hunt and eat and apparently the daddy long legs are one of the most venomous spiders [but luckily they dont bite us] and the white tail gets its venom from the Daddy Long legs.
The white tails are also apparently the only spiders, at least in NZ that can climb up glass.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510645 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic White tail bite
Haha, who would leave a squashed spider on the ceiling for a year?

Ooops that would be me [:I]

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
8 years 9 months ago #510653 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic White tail bite
I looked into research on WT bites about 3 or 4 years ago. At that time there had been a couple of university hospital studies where they asked people to bring in the spider that bit them. Apparently none of the bites that got really bad bought in a WT. This was surprising as WT bites are supposed to be worse that a wasp sting for pain so if one bites you you usually react and see it before it has time to run off. The end conclusion was that the spiders causing the bad reactions were ones that didn't hurt very much when they bit so people didn't notice until the reaction.

I wonder if there has been any newer research?

More
8 years 9 months ago #510660 by Stikkibeek
There was a grape recall in one of the supermarkets quite recently due to grapes imported from Mexico, containing live black widows. Not the first time they have come into the country this way. I always look very dubiously at those shiny black/brown look a likes that get into my compost bin. They are the same shape. I think it is steatoda capensis

More
8 years 9 months ago #510663 by manymules
Replied by manymules on topic White tail bite
www.tepapa.govt.nz/ResearchAtTePapa/Enqu.../Pages/overview.aspx

I think it is the nursery something or rather spider that I regularly see on the ceilings and closely investigate thinking it might be a white tail. I guess it's the long body shape. Yep, those shiny black ones look nasty but it's only the white tails I happily squish. If others bother me (like the huntsmen - GULP(!!!) then I catch them in a glass and put them somewhere away from the house.

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds