White tail bite

More
8 years 9 months ago #39999 by HollyM
White tail bite was created by HollyM
Hi all,

I have a very painful 'ulcer' looking thing on my leg (please, please excuse the photo).. I woke up on saturday morning to a blister on my thigh, it actually looked like a burn (which it can't be).. The blister popped, and it was red and raw, now it looks like this.. The only thing i can think of is that a white tail was in my bed and bit me!
I've googled, but there is a lot of conflicting info - some sites say white tails can't cause ulcerations, some say that is a major symptom.. Was wondering if someone has had a bite before and can offer some advice!

Thank you!!

Attached files
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510451 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic White tail bite
I've personally known a couple of people who ended up with nasty ulceration after white-tail bites. I believe I have been bitten (spider in bed, very itchy spot over the next several days) but fortunately it had little other effect. Probably depends on the spider and its victim.

If it's infected, maybe seek medical attention because the ulceration tends to become quite nasty in some cases.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510452 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic White tail bite
I've blown this up as much as I can without losing too much clarity, and I am curious to know if the two red blobs at about 9 and 3 o'clock look to you like fang marks.

There is a very good chance it is a white tail bite, and they can blister on some people. The biggest thing to guard against is a secondary infection from bacteria so I suggest you get in touch with your GP and get it checked. Anti histamines might also help. I haven't had one, but dealt with a child who had. Hers didn't blister, but went white and was infected.
It too was very painful.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 9 months ago #510453 by HollyM
Replied by HollyM on topic White tail bite
Thank you Ruth and Stikkibeek! It is hard to tell if they are fang marks, there seems to be about 4 or so blobs over the wound.. It's a bit hard to see because it basically is an open wound now.. A bit of redness and swelling..It doesn't seem to be spreading, but then again I feel it has gotten worse since sat morning!

More
8 years 9 months ago #510456 by muri
Replied by muri on topic White tail bite
When I got bitten by a red back in Australia [our equivalent of the Katipo] the rural hospital looked at it and declared it a snake bite because of the fang like marks.
Once the Doctor was called to the hospital he immediately recognised spider rather than snake.
Some people do have really nasty reaction to white tails so I would err on the side of caution and if it is quite swollen and sore a doctors visit would not be amiss as the venom can spread through the system

More
8 years 9 months ago #510458 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic White tail bite
I had a whitetail spider bite about 20 years ago. The spider had been in a shirt which I put on and I initially thought that a dressmaking pin had been left in the sleeve which had go me on the inside of my forearm. It took a few days to progress from a sore 'pimple' into what looked like a boil.

My doctor in Tauranga had never seen a WT bite. (We had recently moved from New Plymouth and probably brought the WT with us.) Treatment was to lance the 'boil' but the central core stubbornly remained so a wick was put into the wound and as it was a Friday I was instructed to visit the afterhours medical clinic on Sat & Sun. Despite IV ABs administered on the Friday I had developed red streaks progressing a few inches up and down my forearm by Saturday. The extents of these were marked and I was told that any further progression of these on Sunday would see me admitted to hospital.

Spent the rest of the day with arm raised and taking ABs and plenty of andrographis (immume stimulant) and vit C and thankfully on Sunday's visit the marks were fading and I got to go home again.

It took a week for the core to finally release and I still carry the scar today.

From what I gather the severity of a WT's bite isn't so much due to its 'venom' but more to do with its stomach contents which will be introduced to the wound to varying degrees. If you are exerting pressure on the WT when bitten such as sitting/lying on it then you will get a good dose of the WT's last meal into the bite which will then result in some potentially nasty bacteria being injected into you.

My advice would be to see your doctor promptly to limit the extent of infection.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
8 years 9 months ago #510460 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic White tail bite
It looks very much like what my son got on his cheek last year - I was sure that was a white tail bite also (there was one in his room).

He got up in the morning complaining of the itchy 'bite' on his cheek - just a red spot but it developed little blisters that spread out in a ring so quickly and took ages to heal (weeks).

I just used kawakawa ointment or pawpaw ointment on it and it didn't spread any further (was watching it carefully for inflammation / red lines / spreading to close too his eye etc - that would have been a GP visit) but he still has a bit of redness / scarring there a year on [}:)]

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
8 years 9 months ago #510461 by manymules
Replied by manymules on topic White tail bite
I quite regularly get spider bites that have the fang marks and the blister. Whether they are specifically white tail spider bites, I don't know.

This is the pattern every time.....small REALLY itchy blister. It gets bumped. Immediately the itchiness intensifies. If left untreated with anything, the blister reforms, gets knocked, reforms even larger, gets knocked. Before too long I would have a nasty hole where I had been bitten. I have a scar on my little toe from the first bite that still would break open and blister after several MONTHS!! That is why I started to really notice what happens.

The second bite, for which I also have a scar, I covered the blister with a plaster so I wouldn't keep knocking the blister, hoping that this would prevent it from getting bigger and deeper. It did to some degree, but still ended up "gooping" it up as I will go on to explain.

Nowadays, as soon as I discover the blister, I break the blister and apply some form of drawing agent then cover the bite with a knuckle plaster that I find sticks better than most. The drawing agent is usually magnesium sulphate paste (epsom salts) which is cheap as chips from the chemist. If I can't find it, there's another less messy ointment I've got in the cupboard from a million years ago. Basically something that will endeavour to DRAW the poison out. I find the plaster has to get replaced at least every couple of days otherwise it comes off....and then I itch and scratch and itch and scratch, and the damned thing gets bigger and deeper.

IF I see that the bite is getting more red than it was, then I do a couple of days of betadine ointment instead of the drawing agent. Then back to the drawing agent.

The bite usually starts to stop itching within 10 days and you can leave it uncovered and let it heal.

VERY IMPORTANT - Any sign of red streaks leading out from the bite, then see your doctor immediately. That is the poison on the move. You want to nip that in the bud straight away.

Only that first time did I have a real mess on my hands. The bites are identical every time and I would get bitten at least once every 3 months up here.

Hope that waffle helps a bit.

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

More
8 years 9 months ago #510464 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic White tail bite

manymules;517388 wrote:

Nowadays, as soon as I discover the blister, I break the blister and apply some form of drawing agent then cover the bite with a knuckle plaster that I find sticks better than most. The drawing agent is usually magnesium sulphate paste (epsom salts) which is cheap as chips from the chemist. If I can't find it, there's another less messy ointment I've got in the cupboard from a million years ago. Basically something that will endeavour to DRAW the poison out.

A good quality manuka honey works well as a 'drawing agent' - plenty of research / studies on that also.

My Dad had a MRSA infection for years (thanks Tauranga hospital) that showed up on random occasions as big boils over lymph node sites. We used UMF 10 manuka honey to bring the boil up to a head so we could then lance it - overnight under a plaster was usually enough to bring it out and stopped it turning into blood poisoning (spreading red lines etc) :)

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
8 years 9 months ago #510474 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic White tail bite
ACC covers infected insect bites. :)

Signs and symptoms of infection are increasing pain, swelling, redness, odour and disability - that is not being able to use the injured part. :(

Outline the problem area using biro and if the redness and swelling should progress further out from this mark ( up to 5mm is ok) but any more than this you must go and seek help at that time - not when you have finished all your jobs.
If you leave it until you see red marks going up/down the leg then you have left it too long. Pain/swelling in your groin isn't good either.

Manuka honey is a good treatment for infection but needs the be the highest UMF you can afford or go to pharmacy and get medical specific honey dressing or cream.

Keep wound covered but if dressing gets wet it needs changing ASAP. Your G.P.s practice nurse can see you under ACC and can deal with wound dressings ( better than your GP :p )

When did you last have a tetanus injection? Might be worth checking if you can't remember.
Insect bites (not just white-tail spiders) often get infected and can take a while to heal. An allergic reaction can also happen as well as infection.
Hope this helps.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510477 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic White tail bite
Any infection of a break in the skin should be watched and treated, and if it gets worse, or you feel unwell, take it seriously.

One friend got blood infection from a rose thorn, which led to heart valve failure from "vegetative growth" of the infecting organism on his heart valve, and once he was stabilised and not at risk of dying, surgery to replace the valve.

Another friend had a sandfly bite on his foot while on a tramp, and he didn't recognise it had got infected, and this led to poisoning of his leg, but the infection was caught just in time to prevent him losing the leg from the knee down.

The skin is an important barrier.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510491 by kai
Replied by kai on topic White tail bite
I have only had one bite, small itchy blister. It did not develop more than that, but it took a long time to heal.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510496 by HollyM
Thanks everyone for all the advice, much appreciated :) Went to the drs this morning, it is an infected insect bite! Antibiotics should do the trick :)

More
8 years 9 months ago #510497 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic White tail bite

HollyM;517433 wrote: Thanks everyone for all the advice, much appreciated :) Went to the drs this morning, it is an infected insect bite! Antibiotics should do the trick :)

So not a WT then?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 9 months ago #510513 by HollyM

Stikkibeek;517434 wrote: So not a WT then?

Most likely, but he can't confirm with out any proof.. There seems to be a bit of a debate on White Tails and if they do actually cause ulcerations etc.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds