Green yellow hen droppings

More
8 years 9 months ago #39991 by Tessa
Over the past 10 days or so, one of my brown shavers hasn't appeared that well. She's eating and drinking okay, but she tends to follow the other one around slowly but with her tail down. So I know something's not quite right with her. I actually rescued her when she was, I think, finishing her moult. She looks about 2 years old but I'm not totally sure. She did lay one egg after her feathers had all grown back. But then didn't lay another one until a few weeks later, which made me think she was an older hen. Just before she started looking a bit unwell, she looked like she was desperately trying to lay an egg but nothing eventuated. I did check her to see if she was egg bound but there was nothing in there. Since then, she hasn't bothered to try and lay an egg but I have noticed these horrible green and yellow runny droppings that are definitely coming from her and not my other one who is perfect.

Is there anything I can do to get her right again?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #510421 by Stikkibeek
Green and yellow runny droppings can be a symptom of liver and or kidney failure. She may have developed an infection as a result of an egg slipping into the abdominal cavity instead of being laid (can happen with soft shelled eggs) where it sets up a form of peritonitis.
Best thing you can do for her is keep her quiet, comfortable and isolated if you can, and feed her high quality treats, but you will probably lose her if any of the above things have happened. She may rally.
You could also seek veterinary help, but that could be expensive and you might still lose her.

Hens are very good at masking their unwellness, (to prevent others picking on them) so by the time symptoms appear, it may already be too late to help
All the best.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 9 months ago #510550 by Tessa
Replied by Tessa on topic Green yellow hen droppings
Well, this little hen is not looking good now. Every time she goes to eat, she vomits yellow watery stuff. It's almost as though something is stuck perhaps? Any ideas of what I can do for her?

More
8 years 9 months ago #510552 by Stikkibeek
Have a gentle feel of her crop which is located on her right side just in front of where her wishbone will be. Does it feel hard and full, or is it soft and squishy. Hard/full may indicate crop bound so could be full of long bits of straw or grass. (She wont be able to pass food into the gut. Soft and squishy, vomiting and perhaps a bad smell, could indicate an infection for which antibiotics might help. Soft and empty, she's not eating. Ideally, when they go to bed at night they should have a full crop and it should be empty in the morning.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds