owning your own bull

More
8 years 7 months ago #511874 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic owning your own bull
I wanted to share my experience this week with our bull BJ. We are calving with various due dates across 3 months this season.

Wanting to improve on that time span for next season for our own convenience, we decided we would move BJ into a new paddock with 4 steers for company.

Next morning, despite hot wire and new fencing, he was in the adjoining paddock with some young hereford stock of ours. BJ returned back to the steers.

Next morning again jumped new fence/hotwire and ended up in the paddock between his one and the herefords, eating at pasture we had sprayed only days before. Returned back to steers, broken battens sorted.

Next morning, crushed new gate laying in race way, hook eye completely torn from the post. Looks like BJ tried his luck over the gate (not hot wired), crushed it which led to the hook pulling on the eye.

BJ is now in a paddock with 6 other jerseys who we didn't want to be pregnant until October for our convenience. I can't get him on the truck today for the prime market as the Other Half is driving somewhere in the North Island and waiting a week will mean someone will get pregnant so we might as well do the lot early now and be done with it and him within 6 weeks.

My point in sharing this is there are downsides to owning a bull and this one is peeving us off. Fortunately the paddock jumping has only occurred on our property with our stock but its not ideal.

His attitude is definitely becoming a bullish grump. We will replace him next year so one less to feed out to over summer.

This is the downside to owning a bull. If he had got in with someone else's heifers we could be up for a very hefty vet bill too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #511891 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic owning your own bull

max2;518787 wrote: I wanted to share my experience this week with our bull BJ. We are calving with various due dates across 3 months this season.

Wanting to improve on that time span for next season for our own convenience, we decided we would move BJ into a new paddock with 4 steers for company.

Next morning, despite hot wire and new fencing, he was in the adjoining paddock with some young hereford stock of ours. BJ returned back to the steers.

Next morning again jumped new fence/hotwire and ended up in the paddock between his one and the herefords, eating at pasture we had sprayed only days before. Returned back to steers, broken battens sorted.

Next morning, crushed new gate laying in race way, hook eye completely torn from the post. Looks like BJ tried his luck over the gate (not hot wired), crushed it which led to the hook pulling on the eye.

BJ is now in a paddock with 6 other jerseys who we didn't want to be pregnant until October for our convenience. I can't get him on the truck today for the prime market as the Other Half is driving somewhere in the North Island and waiting a week will mean someone will get pregnant so we might as well do the lot early now and be done with it and him within 6 weeks.

My point in sharing this is there are downsides to owning a bull and this one is peeving us off. Fortunately the paddock jumping has only occurred on our property with our stock but its not ideal.

His attitude is definitely becoming a bullish grump. We will replace him next year so one less to feed out to over summer.

This is the downside to owning a bull. If he had got in with someone else's heifers we could be up for a very hefty vet bill too.


Max2 you could get them pg jabbed 10 days after hes out to help the grass situation post calving next yr

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #511922 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic owning your own bull

katieb;518808 wrote: Max2 you could get them pg jabbed 10 days after hes out to help the grass situation post calving next yr


sorry Katieb I don't know what pg jabbed means, do you mean abort them? I certainly want them preggies, but not for another 2 months....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #511946 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic owning your own bull
max2, a very good question. I have an idea which hopefully katieb will correct when she has time. As I understand it ....
Prostaglandin aborts the conception, but it also causes return to oestrus. Thus if pg was injected a couple of weeks before you wanted pregnancy to begin you could then inseminate by whichever method you want to get them pregnant on the same day, so calving close together.
Waiting for naturally mated cows to drop their calves over a 3 month time frame is very frustrating .... from my experience - we have a long wait until the last one will calve :-((

As a note, we have not had a bull that was a regular fence jumper, but we have got one that lifts gates :-((. I've had to tie down all the gates that I thought I had done but bull has found have not been done :-((.
Also, heifers that jump are as much of a nuisance as bulls that jump. Especially if they are the neighbours that they don't want pregnant .....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #512020 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic owning your own bull
Yes PG (Prostaglandin) does abort them but it also brings others the bull didnt get on a few days later if they are in the right part of their cycle so if you dont want them preg that early get them jabbed....not 100% bet better than having no grass growing & cows calving if the bull got a lot of them

We have had to use it over the years with beefies/bulls escaping, yearlings going walkabouts or someone screwing up & not usderstanding that the angus x animal that they were told was not to go to the bull got put with the bull & its only when I asked where she was that they remembered that she was angus x. Oh & doing embryo recipient work(jab the potential recips so they cycle at the same time as the doner cow therefore a week old embryo is put into a cow a week after it cycled)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #512028 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic owning your own bull
Our vet will not allow us to have PG on hand. For us, PG is a vet-only administration. We get it done for our calf buyer who does not want heifer calves pregnant at 4 months or a bit older.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #512029 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic owning your own bull

LongRidge;518959 wrote: Our vet will not allow us to have PG on hand. For us, PG is a vet-only administration. We get it done for our calf buyer who does not want heifer calves pregnant at 4 months or a bit older.


I dont think many vets allow clients to use it after someone used it on themselves apparently

We had to get some jabbed for embryo recips on a saturday which was a pain

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds