Bread Issues

More
8 years 10 months ago #509152 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Bread Issues
I've used Breville Ultimate Baker's Oven models for the last two bread makers that I've bought and worn them out. Because of their adjustable programming, I can customise the programme to suit the flour I'm using.

I have found though, that you can't use Coconut sugar instead of cane sugar, as the type of sugar is different and the yeast doesn't like it.

Also, because I use Spelt flour predominantly, due to a wheat intolerance, I only let the breadmaker mix it until the mixture is consistent throughout and then I remove the mixing blade, form the dough into a ball and put it back into the bread tin, cover it with a plastic bag and raise it in a sunny spot in the window. Once risen, I put the bread tin back in the machine and use the bake only program to cook it.

It can take longer to rise Spelt flour bread than normal wheat flour bread, but I've used various types of gluten free Active yeast and they all work much the same, as long as they're used well within their expiry date. The yeast container should always be kept in the fridge after opening. Single serve sachets of yeast will last longer than refrigerated open containers of yeast, if you aren't a frequent bread baker.

Many of the recipes in an American bread recipe book that I have, uses 1 tablespoon of yeast for about 4 or 5 cups of flour. For recipes using Rye flour, the amount of yeast used can be 1.5 tablespoons for a loaf. So some experimentation is needed.

By the way, if using Spelt flour, you need to reduce the quantity of water (liquid) by a small amount - say 1/4 cup and the bread seems to rise better if you add some yogurt to the mix.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #509160 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Bread Issues
i'm with footinmouth - i use my hands a an oven. Admittedly, i bake more than your average person (about 40 - 50 loaves each week, in 9 varieties) but still i don't see why a bread maker should make live easier.

even if i were to bake for our family only, i would not consider a breadmaker. has anyone of you considered the amount of plastic and metals needed to construct a bread maker? The energy used to melt, shape and put together a breadmaker? and some of you have worked your way through multiple of these appliances already. The environmental impact of that alone would probably allow you to hand make your bread for the rest of your lives.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 10 months ago #509161 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Bread Issues
Oh for God's sake!
The OP has a problem with a breadmaker. Trying to make him feel guilty for having the thing in the first place is NOT HELPFUL!
Inger, I found the adjustable programming in my second Breville baffling—the book told me to take the loaf out ten minutes before I heard the beep!

More
8 years 10 months ago #509162 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Bread Issues
I kinda have to agree with alan gilbert.. re the amount of plastic etc to make a breadmaker, well the same could be said for all appliances..

I happen to make bread by hand, but kneed with my kenwood mixer..OH uses the breadmaker because he is better at using it than me..and it is a set and forget..load it up, turn it on, let it run ( usually overnight ).. yes its takes longer, but then its doing its thing while we are sleeping..

as for OP problem.. the only thought I have is don't use any of the house brands of flour and, personally, I only use high grade flour and dry yeast.. not the surebake..but I am sure OP has tried that..umm

More
8 years 10 months ago #509185 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bread Issues

Alan Gilbert;515926 wrote: I found the adjustable programming in my second Breville baffling—the book told me to take the loaf out ten minutes before I heard the beep!

That sounds as if it's lost in translation. We had a machine that had to be cleaned with an "Oily rage" :rolleyes:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 10 months ago #509204 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Bread Issues
I make mine by hand too ...like Steph I use a good bran d of high gradeflour and I use Tasti Active Dried yeast ...I find making by hand so therapeutic [;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
8 years 10 months ago #509218 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Bread Issues
For hand made, proofed overnight, the flour must be a lot stronger than with a bread maker to get comparable quality. With overnight proofing, the gluten is "developed" ie stretched by the yeast and carbon dioxide bubbles. In a breadmaker the yeast is only used as the raising agent and a bit of flavour. The processes are very different, to make the same sort of thing.

More
8 years 10 months ago #509243 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Bread Issues

Alan Gilbert;515926 wrote: Oh for God's sake!
The OP has a problem with a breadmaker. Trying to make him feel guilty for having the thing in the first place is NOT HELPFUL!

oh - did that make you feel guilty? :confused:
You have your reasons for using a bread maker, i have mine for not using a breadmaker. Sorry for stating my opinion, then.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 10 months ago #509261 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Bread Issues
I dont feel guilty about having a bread maker at all...

It is a great stand in when there is no full size oven, you're living in a tiny 14 foot caravan with a pretend "galley", and the small (30cm wide) bench top oven burns the top and bottom of the loaf and struggles to cook the centre... cakes and muffins it can manage.

The bread maker can also be taken camping and run off the little generator when you're entire camp kitchen consists of a twin burner gas camp stove and a gas camp chest fridge and "camp kitchen" furniture. I haven't learned how to bake bread in the cast iron camp oven pot... yet.

I'd happily do the whole loaf by hand or chef mixer with a full size working oven...so looking forward to a proper kitchen and full size oven!
Ive used a kerosene oven and gas oven on yachts in Vanuatu for baking lovely Chelsea Buns as special treats and plain breads for general use for toast or sandwiches. Used sachets of dry yeast then too.
One thing I did find in the tropics on the yachts... flour was hard to store and keep dry and bug free. Frequently the bugs are in the flour when bought. Damp flour went moldy quickly and even the fish wouldnt eat the "sinkers" thrown overboard!

More
8 years 10 months ago #509287 by Inger

Alan Gilbert;515926 wrote:
Inger, I found the adjustable programming in my second Breville baffling—the book told me to take the loaf out ten minutes before I heard the beep!

Now that is really weird. Ignore that instruction and take the loaf out AFTER the beep that indicates the cooking is finished. :D

To get a crisper crust, it's a good idea to take the bread out soon after the finishing beep, other wise the crust can retain moisture and not be so crisp. In saying that, if the preference is for a softer crust, wrapping the loaf in a clean tea towel, will help to retain moisture as the loaf cools.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.

More
8 years 10 months ago #509288 by Inger
Blueberry, I think you'll find that a breadmaker uses less electricity than a full oven does, so is an economical way to make bread.

As for the construction of the machine, ovens and fridges have the same issues, yet I doubt we would want to do without them. Since each of my breadmakers lasted a good 10 years and made a great many loaves of bread, I'm perfectly happy with the metal and plastic that were used to make them. :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #509304 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Bread Issues
Belle Bosse, in my ocean-sailing days I found any flour other than straight white impossible to obtain anywhere in the tropics, so we had perforce to eat white bread - made by hand (by my wife) and cooked in the gas oven on the yacht. Mind you, that is thirty years ago - these days there's probably a 12-volt breadmaker available!
Inger, to be fair to Breville (I must be mellowing!), the instruction to remove the loaf before hearing the beep referred to the smaller loaf I preferred. (The full-sized one usually overflowed the basket.) Their previous model had been able to cope with changing the cooking time for a smaller loaf, but the newer one could not! It was all quite ridiculous - the early model had good electronics but fell apart; the later one was better engineered, but the electronics were hopeless.
I do, I assure you, make a practice of getting the loaf out of the Panasonic the moment it's cooked, to avoid that sogginess you mention.
Stiikibeek - an "oily rage"! I love it! My favourite linguistic mishap is the raised lettering on my drill-press vice, which proudly proclaims "Mad in aiwan".

More
8 years 10 months ago #509320 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bread Issues

Alan Gilbert;516087 wrote:
Stiikibeek - an "oily rage"! I love it! My favourite linguistic mishap is the raised lettering on my drill-press vice, which proudly proclaims "Mad in aiwan".

Attached files
File Attachment:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds