Best places to live in NZ weather wise???

More
8 years 10 months ago #508741 by kate

stephclark;515415 wrote: a recent refugee from Auckland and a complete convert..Whangarei!..
great weather ( we have had one slight frost so far )..its still t shirt weather during the day..
gets hot in summer, but we have a pool

depends also on what employment you need.. but the weather is great

+ 1 [8D]

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508743 by muri
Nowhere in NZ has really settled weather, we are an island nation hence our climate will always be modified by the seas and winds that surround us.
Small micro climates can be found here and there that vary that pattern,
Changing climatic patterns are a reality that will affect us more and more.
You cant escape weather, it will be with you wherever you go and with swings and round abouts in every location

More
8 years 10 months ago #508746 by Ruth
We only have one roundabout in Kaitaia - oh, no, there are two, I think. Not sure how many swings there are. But as I said earlier, nobody wants to live here, so it doesn't matter about the weather. :D

More
8 years 10 months ago #508747 by max2
Personally I have found people are much nicer the further away from Auckland they live....

More
8 years 10 months ago #508748 by WillEyre

max2;515465 wrote: Personally I have found people are much nicer the further away from Auckland they live....

You mean like Clayton Weatherston?

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508750 by Ruth
Goodness, that's a long bow to draw!

More
8 years 10 months ago #508751 by WillEyre
Exactly. And so is the initial statement.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508752 by Ruth
Oh I don't know, the further away from Auckland I am, the happier and therefore nicer I am. For example.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508753 by WillEyre

Ruth;515471 wrote: Oh I don't know, the further away from Auckland I am, the happier and therefore nicer I am. For example.

Ruth -

The point I am making is this;
All of my life I've heard people say, 'The further south you go, the friendlier people are'. It would be my firm contention that this statement is patently false.
I've heard cynics say that it's not that people are friendlier; they're just a whole-lot nosier!
I do suspect that there is possibly room for a small grain of truth when you compare Aucklanders to non-Aucklanders. But what you are doing comparing is the frenetic tempo of city-dwellers to that of the more bucolic 'country-folk'.
And, on this basis I really don't believe that the natives of Wellington or Christchurch are any more intrinsically friendly than Aucklanders.

(Apologies for mentioning the 'narcissistic little lecturer' - I knew it would be a somewhat contentious. And, he still annoys me).

More
8 years 10 months ago #508756 by rhyso

WillEyre;515472 wrote: Ruth -

I really don't believe that the natives of Wellington or Christchurch are any more intrinsically friendly than Aucklanders.

Agreed, I am moving as far away from ch-ch as possible but remaining close enough to travel to family and the extra services the city provides.

I think the reality is less people = less problems.

though a small town can be clicky and can create more social issues than a city where you don't even know your neighbours name.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508766 by stephclark
I can agree with Ruth re friendly people.. I am still getting used to people looking you in the eye and smiling as they walk past.. I have only just stopped wondering if I have something on my face![;)]..i have had the nicest conversations with complete strangers.. :)

willeyre does have a point re the busy city folk.. too busy/stressed to chat..

More
8 years 10 months ago #508773 by Hawkspur
It isn't that the city folk are necessarily less friendly, it is the human brain that limits the amount of social interaction. City folk will be friendly, but to only some of the many people they meet each day.
There are a set of "Dunbar numbers" for humans. This is the maximum number of people that humans can, on average, cope with knowing. Socially the human Dunbar number is about 150. There are other limits too: 5 very close friends, 15 close friends (who you can call on for help), 50 friends, 500 acquaintances, 1500 name-able faces.
The more people a human interacts with, the more superficial the contact has to be. If you see five hundred people each day, your brain has to limit the contact or it can't cope.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508774 by Ruth
When I lived in London for a while, I used to smile at people and they'd draw their children away from me.
Mind you, that often happened in Auckland too, but by then I'd changed my appearance slightly and was possibly slightly scarier to the average conservative mummy. I remember rescuing a crying small girl one afternoon in a shopping mall. I'd been in exactly that position as a small child and knew that if I lifted her up so she could see over everyone's heads, she'd spot her mum. Mummy came and wrested small child from me with a look of horror, obviously convinced I'd been abusing said child in some horrific manner, rather than ameliorating her distress. Weird.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508778 by max2
I knew someone would bite.... :rolleyes: :D

But I cannot give my opinion about Wellingtonians (sp?) or CCer's as I don't know anyone who lives in either area.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508780 by WillEyre
'Personally I have found people are much nicer the further away from Auckland they live....'

'But I cannot give my opinion about Wellingtonians (sp?) or CCer's as I don't know anyone who lives in either area'.

You could well expect another 'bite' with that sort of rationale.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds