Best places to live in NZ weather wise???

More
8 years 10 months ago #39802 by Mustangnin
We are looking at maybe having a lifestyle change.
Where in NZ has a more settled, warmer, sunnier climate than rural CHCH?
We would like to escape the really harsh frosts, NW winds (terrible for allergies), the winter cold and damp.

Although in saying that, this summer/ winter has not been bad- except for the frosts!

I know this is a hard question as all areas have their positives and negatives- we thought of Nelson? We have not explored the North Island really and are unsure of areas and climate- but I know there are some beautiful areas up North.
Obviously it is not all about climate, we like to live rural as I have horses and goats, but do not want to be totally isolated from shops, health care, schools etc.
Our home actually offers us all that we need and love except for the weather-it would be great to have a warmer climate.
We would need to look into what areas offer as well as socioeconomic factors of areas, but climate is a big part.
It is hard to contemplate a change like this into the unknown. If we get some ideas we will go and explore for ourselves and decide.
Any feedback would be great. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508698 by Organix
Having lived in Nelson for a spell about 12 years ago I have fond memories of the area. If OH had the choice we would be back there.

The reason we're not still there is essentially Cook Strait. That stretch of water is too limiting for regular travel to friends and an elderly mother here in Taranaki. It is expensive and time consuming to 'go up North'. The added expense would also add to our business's deliver costs to our most NI customer base. You may well find a similar vice versa situation.

The other limiting factor is if you require employment or intend to transfer a business's location. Different areas will present different opportunities in this regard.

In regard to finding a new 'home' where you feel comfortable the best first step is to do a 'North trip' and sample different areas for yourself. Everyone has their own wants and likes and the following flood of recommendations will go to show that. And keep in mind that popular locations attract growth which then increases property sales and prices. In the words of The Eagles song 'The Last Resort': You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodby.

Happy hunting :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
8 years 10 months ago #508700 by LongRidge
I've lived in Thames - too humid so the warm feels much hotter and the cold much colder.
Palmerston North - too wet and windy.
Christchurch - too hot or cold or windy.
Timaru - better than Christchurch but the 100 km road between Christchurch and Timaru has only 52 corners, so very easy to speed, and if I didn't speed then i went to sleep.
Upper Hutt was quite good climate-wize.
Been just out of Brightwater for 25 years now. The climate is good with regards to the southerly storms which blow around us and leave good weather when the resr of NZ is suffering. Gets dry in summer so makes stock management difficult. It is far too wet for Boer goats. The neighbours property is for sale, 40 hectares with 28 h just logged, but has a very rudimentary house and poor cell coverage, and only satellite broadband. You might be able to find it on TradeMe.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508701 by stephclark
a recent refugee from Auckland and a complete convert..Whangarei!..
great weather ( we have had one slight frost so far )..its still t shirt weather during the day..
gets hot in summer, but we have a pool

depends also on what employment you need.. but the weather is great

More
8 years 10 months ago #508703 by Alan Gilbert
Kerikeri!
The climate is wonderful, and the town is surrounded by lifestyle blocks of various sizes. The whole Bay of Islands area is very pretty.
Kerikeri is quite unlike most other small New Zealand towns. Of the 200-odd people I know here, only four were born locally - everyone else has come here by choice, so the place is remarkably cosmopolitan. There are a fair few "swallows", too, people who spend the summer here and our winter back in their northen hemisphere summer, and they add to the variety.
Some places do get frosts, and some parts can be quite windy - though after many years of living near Wellington, we find the local breezes insignificant.
Right now, just after the shortest day, we have a flat calm, wall-to-wall blue sky and an outside air temperature of 19.2 degrees (which will rise a bit this afternoon).
We have a number of refugees from Christchurch, attracted by the fact that the Far North is seismically pretty quiet. We have not felt a single earthquake in the six years we've been here, which is a big change from Wellington.
We retired here for the climate and the people and have never regretted it for a second.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508705 by Ruth
Don't go any further north than Kerikeri though, apparently it's terrible!

Plan a trip if you have some time. Decide if you'd like to visit people in different places. Lots of us would probably welcome visits or stays as you make your way around.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508706 by Trace
Such a tough one...friends said to us that we were mad shifting from. Auckland, down to Canterbury...Auckland is wet and hot in summer and wet and cold in winter. I love Canterbury weather...and my hay fever is far better and more manageable here than it was in Auckland. I agree with those who have said Nelson is worth looking at, doesn't get the extremes that we get, and depending on where you chose, you wouldn't be too far from all those ammenities that youare after and I think the Bay of Plenty, as in Tauranga and its surrounds, is pretty good weather wise as well...some humidity, but not as bad as further North, and again, not too far from shops, hospital etc.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508709 by llvonn
I'm going to say Manawatu is good. We get made fun of by other regions but they are wrong - we tend to miss the extremes that the rest of the country get. We have definite seasons and we do get the odd frost, but I have had plenty of tender plants survive the frost, even a subtropical that survived the once in twenty year snow a few years back. But summer is wonderful and not too hot or humid (a major problem in the North where I used to live).
I think we have the best of both worlds. We are cool enough to get the chill factor needed for many fruits, but warm enough for the tender varieties.

In the area I live we have an average rainfall of approximately 1086mm per year.

You can get properties within easy travelling to cities and townships like Palmy and Feilding which have a good variety of shops as well as supporting the rural lifestyle. Farmers market in Feilding is very good. Lots of schools including rural schools.
There are good off-leash areas for dogs in the Palmy region, plenty of vets including Massey. Good region for sport and recreation as well and central to a lot of places. Palmy library is one of the best in the Country.

Woodville is alot cheaper but you have to deal with the Gorge issue.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508711 by rhyso
The definition of good weather is subjective for sure... If you are into skiing then you want inland Canterbury or central Otago, of you want lots of sunshine then you want Nelson Marlborough.

Personally I have chosen Karamea in Buller.

That is the south island anyway, I have no desire to live up north. But that is just me.

Water is life and there is plenty of it there, but also plenty of sunshine. It hardly frosts if at all so is mild compared to anywhere else in the South Island, but not the best if you want grow stone fruit. But you can grow bananas, try that elsewhere in the south island...

It's microclimate is due to the hills it has the the south. Southerlies are warmed by orographic lifting is a similar way (but not so harsh) that the north westers are in Canterbury. The westerly brings rain, the southerly bring sunshine and the main divide is far enough away that the westerlies do not create the downpours that the rest of the coast gets.

It is windy but our property is sheltered.

The climate is the most significant factor for us living there.

We want to grow food all year round and not just eat limited varieties in winter.

it is a nice bonus that the community is awesome and there is a great school in the town that caters for all levels.

Westport is only an hour away but Karamea has more than enough of the essentials and a restaurant or two for a treat.

But each to their own, some would go bat shit crazy there. who knows... I might be one of them?

More
8 years 10 months ago #508712 by kai
I would not recommend upper Hutt. There weather there is abysmal. It is always colder than Kapiti and pretty well every time I have been there it is dull grey and miserable, plus it is in a steep sided valley and many properties lose the sun very early in winter.
With the exception of last weekend the weather in Kapiti is great and it misses out on the wind and extreme weather than Wellington gets

More
8 years 10 months ago #508717 by katieb
North King Countrys nice :)

we are 10mins from Te kuiti, 15mins from Otorohanga & 5mins from the Waitomo Caves village.....Te Awamutus 30-35mins, Hamilton an hr & Cambridge 45mins

Limestone formations, heaps of bush, mountain views from the hills. My nasturtiums(frost tender plants) had been knocked by the frost but not killed completly.....they grow under, up & around palms in my garden

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 10 months ago #508720 by lisaeve
Well, if you're after sun, there's always the sunniest town in NZ...?

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508722 by MurrayR
Well, if you're after sun, there's always the sunniest town in NZ...?

That's Whakatane.

Somewhere around Opotiki would do me, near the water.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508736 by RaeM1
The Waikato is great, and also there is heaps of Horse things going on all the time, plus you have only about 1 1/2 hours to get to Auckland if you want to go there for something, The Waikato hospital is the biggest in NZ, and there is heaps of lovely lifestyle blocks around. We did live out Raglan way where we had 870 acres, but it was the trip over the deviation hill which took nearly an hour to get from were we lived to hamilton. the grass grows most of the time for the horses, and its not too wet for goats as well.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508740 by WillEyre
I suppose it's really a matter of what your priorities are when choosing the 'ideal' situation. There is nowhere that's going to be all things to all men (and women).
Places that are relatively 'sunny', like Nelson and Marlborough are really attractive if you're living in a brick unit in town and spend most of your days sitting down, but the thing that makes them warm is the same thing that dries the grass to a crisp - which is no good if pastoralism is your passion.
And, of course, places that grow grass easily (like the Waikato) usually suffer the drawback of being over-wet and foggy.
I know you're probably never going to believe me but the place that comes the closest to what you might possible want as a lifestyle 'tinkerer' is where I live - Wanganui. We grow grass all year 'round.
And it's not just my biased view; a 1935 world survey (by 'National Geographic') declared Wanganui to have 'the fifth most equable climate' in the World. It certainly has better weather overall than our neighbours, Taranaki and Manawatu.
Admittedly, this was eighty years ago and it was limited to places around the world that had reliable meteorological data - but I do think it tells you something.
And, as an extra bonus, property is still relatively cheap here.

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds