10 month old steer question

More
8 years 11 months ago #39796 by Go Kaz
Hi all,

we have a 10 month old Murray Grey x Fresian steer who is in with a mate of the same age but a different mix.

The MGx is just kind of underdone looking. I have had horses a long time and if he was a horse I would say he was possibly a bit wormy looking.

He is mega placid and his coat is a little manky looking and he just looks a bit lacking in condition. They have the best grass on the place as well as hay.

He has always been wormed with a pour on from the vet but I am wondering if that isn't what I should be using or maybe something else could be the issue. He seems well enough in himself but just really laid back.
His mate is substantially larger than him and sprightly as all buggery which gets me more concerned about this guy.

I am going to have a chat to the vet when I get a chance in the next couple of days but I thought I would ask here for suggestions too.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #508635 by Stikkibeek
Our vet told us that young stock should always be wormed with by mouth type wormers and pour on is ok for older cattle.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 11 months ago #508636 by Go Kaz
Replied by Go Kaz on topic 10 month old steer question
Handy to know as we are getting two more little ones this year. I cant even imagine trying to use an oral wormer on them at this age though.. they are pretty strong - the kids pony is enough of a shit to do!

More
8 years 11 months ago #508638 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic 10 month old steer question
Got any pictures of the two of them?

BVD always springs to mind when young animals aren't doing very well, but all sorts of other things could be going on.

What's your feed provision like? Pictures of where they live would be good for that reason too.

More
8 years 11 months ago #508641 by Go Kaz
I will try and grab one tomorrow.

We have a crazy amount of grass and they get the run of the good stuff before the older beefies get it.

Sorry beginner question but whats BVD?

More
8 years 11 months ago #508646 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic 10 month old steer question
Bovine Viral Diarrhoea. It's a nasty sort of thing some animals have from birth, which usually ends up being fatal. But as I said, a lot of other things can be happening causing similar issues.

More
8 years 11 months ago #508649 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic 10 month old steer question
a vet is going to tell you that wormers only deal with worms - and that might not be the problem. BVD, poor colostrum intake and subsequent chronic health issues, overall gross nutrition and mineral deficiencies also need to be considered

I love animals...they're delicious

More
8 years 11 months ago #508679 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic 10 month old steer question
When you say the best grass how long is it? Can they wrap their tounges around it?

You could just throw various things at it & might have sucess but the best money spent would be getting the vet to see the animal, if the vet believes its just worms(after seeing the animal) then get a drench plan & advice

I assume you have a race to restrain the animal in for drenching or vet treatment

Drenching cattle is a lot easier than horses once they get used to it....infact our herd is a pain in the butt to put pour on on or spray paint on their shoulders as they open their mouths & put heads in the way as they do for drenching lol but they do get some form of oral drench for 8-9 months of the year so not surprising

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 11 months ago #508685 by Go Kaz
Sorry for no pic it was dark by the time I got home.

yes we have a race etc for treatment and yards. We have decided that the vet is the best port of call and a phone call will be made in the morning

Will keep ya updated

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds