Diggers???

More
8 years 9 months ago #508688 by chocolatewoolnz
Replied by chocolatewoolnz on topic Diggers???
Defiantly do not get a digger. It can't be justified on that size property. I have 87 acres and don't even have a tractor. No need. Easier to get in contractors when required. My father farms 2300 acres and I have never hear of him wanting to buy a digger despite there being 35+ years of dams, fencing, tracks, drainage work etc

86 acres with Gotland, coloured merino and a few white sheep www.chocolatewoolnz.com + 1300 strawberry plants www.gilchriststrawberries.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508689 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Diggers???

chocolatewoolnz;515400 wrote: Defiantly do not get a digger. It can't be justified on that size property. I have 87 acres and don't even have a tractor. No need. Easier to get in contractors when required. My father farms 2300 acres and I have never hear of him wanting to buy a digger despite there being 35+ years of dams, fencing, tracks, drainage work etc

Same here ive never heard my parents say they wish they had one....they own this place & 5 other farms......There was a digger living here & getting used 5 days a week for 8 months last year though....the guy that operates it(& a bulldozer) turned the wrong way a few mornings apparently after he finished here as he was so used to coming here.....still more work to do but payouts put a halt on that

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 9 months ago #508749 by AMB
Replied by AMB on topic Diggers???

Geoffa;514994 wrote: My advice would be multiply the number of days work by the price of hiring a digger. Compare that to the price of purchasing one. You can subtract the expected resale price from the purchase if you can convince him to give it up once the work is done.

I digger would be so much fun ...

Don't overlook factoring in the pain-in-the-butt factor of having to go and pick it up from wherever you need to hire it from & return it by the required time. Plus time for loading it up & unloading it.

We have 10 acres outside of Christchurch and a 1.6 tonne digger was one of the first things that we bought and it has been brilliant and money well spent.

I've used it for:

Trenching power and water between the existing well and our shed (180m).
Trenching power & phone in from the gate to shed, then to house.
All stormwater & soak pits for both house & shed.
Trenching for septic tank.
Trenching for irrigation lines.
Cleaning out the water race
Scraping back soil from where paths & gardens etc will go.
Spreading AP65 for a temporary driveway.
Getting the crated ~350kg woodsplitter off the trailer after I purchased it, which was kindly loaded on by forklift at Mainfreight. Have no idea how I would have got the crate off if I didn't have the digger handy!
Pulling out warratahs that were well-stuck.
Because it also came with an auger motor and 3x augers, I've saved on the back-breaking work of digging holes of x300 shelterbelt trees which otherwise would have been done by hand. Not to mention all of the post holes for our deck.

That's all in the space of about 15 months and what I can think of as I type!

More
8 years 9 months ago #508763 by rob8888
Replied by rob8888 on topic Diggers???
I bought a cheap 5 ton digger about 4 yrs ago. Can't believe what I've got done with it just besides the obvious digging use. Everything from pulling out posts, to planting trees (digging deep root bowls and mixing in compost), unloading firewood trailers (tipping them up), lifting post bundles, picking partners Suzuki Carry up to drop engine out, milling trees (lifting cants etc), bending things, lifting orchard shed into place, list goes on, I use it every week for things other than digging, so add that into the mix too.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds