Diggers???

More
8 years 10 months ago #508331 by pinksox
Replied by pinksox on topic Diggers???
Nothing sinister, just wanted to provide a better answer than no you can't have one?? after all the lovely and funny comments, I'm certain I am correct in thinking we don't really need one, however it also feels like I'm denying giving candy to small children. lol. He can have one, he can use it, he can pretend he's going to sell.....he'll be happy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508334 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Diggers???
Because he has "Iron Disease" he will never, ever be any use doing animal care, pasture maintenance or other hand work. Thus do not bother buying animals, just lease the land out to someone else to graze and make hay off.
Don't have children because your income will be necessary to satisfy this Iron Disease. If you don't help to satisfy Iron Disease by buying more and more machinery you will be classified "boring", so you will be traded in for a new model. Thus you need to get Iron Disease too, and not allow children and animals to get in the way.
Your problem is very common, and as far as he is concerned it is YOUR problem that you need treatment for, and not his problem (which we both know it is).

More
8 years 10 months ago #508339 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Diggers???
They are very useful, and make some tasks so much easier, and others become achievable that were just fantasy, but...
  • sometimes a different size digger would be better
  • they are at the wrong end of the property when a task turns up
  • they need maintenance and repairs
  • they are expensive - or they are "cheap" (not very) for a reason
  • the nagging won't stop, because you'll need a better/newer/bigger digger, another bucket, a quick hitch, another hydraulic line, a tilt bucket....

More
8 years 10 months ago #508344 by Foxwell
Replied by Foxwell on topic Diggers???
My husband LOVES his digger. We inherited it with the property 9 years ago. I don't know if we would have bought one, but I am so glad we have it. Not just because of what it can accomplish but because it makes him so happy. A day in the digger is a magic stress- releaser!

More
8 years 10 months ago #508360 by pinksox
phew Foxwell, I'm pleased to hear that! he likes iron toys I am worried he'll want more!! but hes better with animals. Makes them fat and happy. so not all bad, there may be hope for him yet.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508361 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Diggers???
I bought a 2-ton digger and built a hydraulically-operated thumb for it so I could get the rocks out of the ground on our 2 acres of old lava flow. I promised The Boss I'd sell it when we'd kocked the land into shape, and to her astonishment I did actually do just that!
It had rubber tracks, and I wish they had been steel, as those do a lot less damage to the greensward.
The general rule of thumb is that if you're going to need a digger for less than three months it's cheaper to hire one, but for more than three months it's better to buy. Unfortunately the one I bought was basically buggered, and it cost me a fortune to fix it and keep it running – so don't buy the cheapest you can find.
I'd never operated any kind of earth-moving machinery in my life, but I soon learned – they're not hard to drive, though it does take a lot of time to become an expert.
When I sold the digger I built a front-end loader for the little Kubota 14HP tractor, and that can move the smaller rocks around.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508368 by pinksox
thank you thank you Alan Gilbert. that makes sense, we have a lot more than 3 months work ahead of us, though I'd hate to admit it he might be right then!

More
8 years 10 months ago #508371 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Diggers???
well at least my OH only wanted a ditch witch.. 30 years of nagging, sulking and flawed logic and he still didn't et one! imagine the mess he would have made digging little trenches everywhere...

as for diggers 5 tonn seems a large machine..we have just had a lovely man and a 1.5tonn digger out for 3 hours.. in that time he pulled out yukkas and flax, trenched out a retaining wall, piled everything into a nice heap and tidied up oh and dug over a new garden bed for me. :) .n and all on challenging terrain and next to the house ,no damage.. can only imagine what would have happened if OH had tried to do this..would have lost half the house[;)]

hire hire hire all the way.. you get an expert operator, insurance for any accidental damage and they are quick.get the job done for no capital outlay

More
8 years 10 months ago #508386 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Diggers???
Our neighbour has a 5 tonne, and it is just the right size for the jobs that I have needed him to do. But he does need a 10 tonne truck to bring it from 500 meters away, which is ok because when we need him we usually need a truck.
The BOL has a 20 tonne digger but it needs repairing lots of the time. It is also too big for his truck, which needs repairing all the time, so would be a major expence getting a carrier to bring it here. His Caterpillar D8 has the same problems. But he is too busy fixing his Jaguars, Armstrongs, and motorbikes to be able to use those toys on his land.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508387 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Diggers???

stephclark;515067 wrote: well at least my OH only wanted a ditch witch.. 30 years of nagging, sulking and flawed logic and he still didn't et one! imagine the mess he would have made digging little trenches everywhere...

as for diggers 5 tonn seems a large machine..we have just had a lovely man and a 1.5tonn digger out for 3 hours.. in that time he pulled out yukkas and flax, trenched out a retaining wall, piled everything into a nice heap and tidied up oh and dug over a new garden bed for me. :) .n and all on challenging terrain and next to the house ,no damage.. can only imagine what would have happened if OH had tried to do this..would have lost half the house[;)]

hire hire hire all the way.. you get an expert operator, insurance for any accidental damage and they are quick.get the job done for no capital outlay

lol you would likely have lots of funny & not so funny pics of people & animals sunk in trenches....had a good laugh at the other half yesterday as he sunk in a covered up trench dug by a ditch witch on fri. last yr we had a piglet fall in an open hole & a horse sink its foot in a soft covered one

the guy that dug a hole for a septic tank a couple of years ago only had a little one about the size of a bob cat

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 10 months ago #508392 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Diggers???
Where I grew up 75hp was a big tractor. Bigger than most, if not all, in our valley.
For the sake of matrimonial harmony you must let him buy the digger and a bulldozer as well. That way you will be able to keep him at home playing happily instead of wandering off. Except perhaps wandering off to join groups of (mostly) other men who also enjoy playing with large machinery.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508407 by Crusha
Replied by Crusha on topic Diggers???
Don't forget the JCB!!, with a cage for the front forks, no end to the number of jobs that can be done ;)

More
8 years 10 months ago #508409 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Diggers???
don't overestimate how much digger work you've got. It's incredible how much a good digger driver can get done in a day. We turned a large paddock into a house site, three ponds, multiple streams, a long driveway and various other smaller jobs all in about 4-5 days.
Also once he's got a digger he'll be wanting a bulldozer too.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508410 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Diggers???
oh yeah and the forklift.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508443 by footinmouth
Replied by footinmouth on topic Diggers???
A lot of famers buy brand new diggers use for 3-6 months and sell them slightly cheaper than what they paid for them. If you have a lot of development to do this can work out, maybe investigate leasing a new one for 12 months or so.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds