Diggers???

More
8 years 10 months ago #39779 by pinksox
Diggers??? was created by pinksox
Please help us settle a dispute and return to domestic bliss. we have a 14hectare block that needs lots of work on clearing orchards, ditches and ponds and fencing etc. My partner wants to buy a 5tonne digger I want to hire in a digger........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508302 by Geoffa
Replied by Geoffa on topic Diggers???
My advice would be multiply the number of days work by the price of hiring a digger. Compare that to the price of purchasing one. You can subtract the expected resale price from the purchase if you can convince him to give it up once the work is done.

I digger would be so much fun ...

More
8 years 10 months ago #508303 by pinksox
Replied by pinksox on topic Diggers???
its the getting him to let it go is why I want to hire!!

More
8 years 10 months ago #508305 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Diggers???
In my experience the thought of a digger (or bulldozer for some reason) magically removes any ability to look at the situation logically....

More
8 years 10 months ago #508306 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Diggers???
Does your partner know how to operate a digger?

How seriously at risk is the domestic bliss? If there's a possibility of permanent damage, you'll have to factor that in to the calculations as well.

Welcome to the forum. :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #508312 by pinksox
Hi everyone, thank you for all the advice, domestic bliss is only slightly tarnished, your helping me come to terms with the fact I'm facing the reality of no logic just desire and determined nagging.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508313 by Ruth
It could be a great deal worse.

If you get the digger, it could be worse in a lot of other ways, if there's no experience to go with the desire.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508314 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Diggers???
My kids are always suggesting I get a digger, to do heaps of things around here.
I would presume most of their urging is really what they want to do.
They do maintain that I could hire it out and it could pay for itself over time.
I am not convinced

More
8 years 10 months ago #508317 by John M
Replied by John M on topic Diggers???
I TOTALLY get it :) just let him buy his digger, and you get unending peace as its work will also be endless.

You'll never appreciate the amount of work that can be accomplished if he has his own!! Every second job will require some work with it. It'll require frequent use so it doesn't waste away...

From a biased husband who doesn't own a digger :(

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
8 years 10 months ago #508318 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Diggers???
do you have a tractor?

If not compare the 2 & decide what to get

If you do have a tractor see what it requires to make it more usefull(attachments or trade up)

This place is 1500 acres & the only time a digger has been on farm before the dairy conversion(earthworks company required) was to burry a pony when the tractor was away for repairs.

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 10 months ago #508320 by pinksox
yes he has a tractor!! but apparently that's not fair to mention!! cause its not a big tractor?........not that I know much about tractors but I'm pretty sure 75hp is quite useful........I'm also much more certain that the logic used to justify getting the digger was based much more in I just want one because they're cool...........how can you argue with that.lol

More
8 years 10 months ago #508322 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Diggers???
lol

we have a MF390 & a claas arion 410. The Fergy is apparently only 81hp(I googled & found a tractor data site). Thats all we had when the place was 680 acres :)...drystock staff use that & we have the claas. Oh they currently also have a MF135(with duels) for just towing pke trollies around until the home farm needs it for calf feeding again

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 10 months ago #508328 by Ruth
Oh for goodness sake. I bought Stephan a 46hp and he's perfectly happy. Is this about the size of the tractor or something else going on?

More
8 years 10 months ago #508329 by pinksox
your just making him sad now!!! obvious logic was not what he was looking for! funny biased logic was much more agreeable. thank you all for your insights.

More
8 years 10 months ago #508330 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Diggers???

John M;515009 wrote: I TOTALLY get it :) just let him buy his digger, and you get unending peace as its work will also be endless.

You'll never appreciate the amount of work that can be accomplished if he has his own!! Every second job will require some work with it. It'll require frequent use so it doesn't waste away...

From a biased husband who doesn't own a digger :(

I love your optimism John M, but I hasten to say my brother bought a digger for the farm and justified it that at $300 a day it would soon pay for itself digging drains.
He paid more than $20000 for it and for the last 6 years it has sat in a paddock in the same place the delivery truck off loaded it! grrrrrrr!
For that more than $20000, he could have paid someone to clean the drains for the next 66 years!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds