Raw Milk

More
More
8 years 9 months ago #508157 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Raw Milk
I have friends who have had a raw milk dairy farm running since Sept last year in Welcome Bay. I have been worrying a little about how the decision may effect them as this has taken a lot of work and financial input to get up and running. That result looks good at a glance.

If anyone is interested it is called Walnut Tree Farm and is on facebook, has a website etc. They have a proper dispenser and very high hygiene systems in place and people can go and watch the milking etc.
Hope it is alright to mention them as there do seem to be people searching for raw milk here every now and then...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508158 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Raw Milk
I see that sellers of raw milk will have to register and a public list will be kept, for which the farmers will have to pay a registration fee and annual renewal....I wonder how much that will be? I hope it is a fair amount as it says it is to maintain the list, which can't be that expensive to do....

Okay, found it $140 to register and $70 per year.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508163 by Panda
Replied by Panda on topic Raw Milk
I have also been buying my milk from Walnut Tree Farm in Welcome Bay, for months now. The milk is lovely and creamy, and you can see the cows being milked. I have no problems with drinking raw milk, no side affects or anything. I couldn't recommend it enough. The couple that own the farm are wonderful too. I would much rather buy from them than give my money to big corporations like Fonterra!

Murphy the dog. 4 chooks: Mocha, Otis, Betty and Suzi.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508166 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Raw Milk
[QUOTE
Animal health

Sellers of raw milk will need to meet stronger requirements about the health of their relevant animals, including:
  • ensuring any raw milk sold to consumers comes from healthy milking animals that are kept on the property. ....and

Your raw milk operation will need to undergo certain checks to ensure requirements are being met, including:
  • Verification of your dairy farm by a recognised person.
  • Veterinarian inspection of your milking animals.
[/QUOTE]

from Cowvet For those who are interested....

The New Zealand Veterinary Association has made an official submission against the sale of raw milk to the public.

When asked (by MPI) for details on cost for a vet to visit a farm twice a year to ''certify the herd as healthy'' vets replied that as a profession they wanted no part in giving the public the illusion that if the herd 'looks healthy'' that this gives any assurance that the milk is safe. All of NZVA's experienced dairy practitioners who contributed to the NZVA submission stated that it would not be possible to guarantee the safety of raw milk by routine veterinary inspection of farms.

Vets have been instructed by their professional insurance provider to refrain from certifying any herd as healthy for raw milk sale and the insurer will resolve to exclude cover for this activity

So isn't the proposed legislation now contradicting what the veterinary Association were distancing themselves from? ie that animals need to be healthy

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 9 months ago #508168 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Raw Milk
It was the Veterinary Association, not the Veterinary Council. They are two distinctly different organisations.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508175 by Stikkibeek

Ruth;514845 wrote: It was the Veterinary Association, not the Veterinary Council. They are two distinctly different organisations.

Probably splitting hairs but thanks for pointing that out.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508183 by Ruth
No. They perform very different functions.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508187 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Raw Milk
It still begs the question. If the requirement by law is to have a vet certify the herd as healthy and the vets won't do it (see CowVets posts as to why ) then the farmer won't be able to comply and there will be no legal sale of raw milk.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
8 years 9 months ago #508188 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Raw Milk

Anakei;514868 wrote: It still begs the question. If the requirement by law is to have a vet certify the herd as healthy and the vets won't do it (see CowVets posts as to why ) then the farmer won't be able to comply and there will be no legal sale of raw milk.

begthequestion.info/

More
8 years 9 months ago #508189 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Raw Milk
In that case I beg your pardon!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
8 years 9 months ago #508190 by Stikkibeek

Ruth;514863 wrote: No. They perform very different functions.

It is still splitting hairs and detracts from what I thought was a relevant observation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508221 by jimminette
Replied by jimminette on topic Raw Milk
LOL - worried about 'harmful bacteria" in raw milk when we've just had parsley recalled from the supermarkets because of 'harmful bacteria" and recently packaged lettuce as well.

More
8 years 9 months ago #508232 by Ruth
Vegetables are very dangerous!

Now I'm trying to think of the next line of this thing I'm sure must be a great joke ...

More
8 years 9 months ago #508243 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Raw Milk

jimminette;514905 wrote: LOL - worried about 'harmful bacteria" in raw milk when we've just had parsley recalled from the supermarkets because of 'harmful bacteria" and recently packaged lettuce as well.

Its a bit more than 'harmful bacteria' - its listeria in the parsley.

My local vege shop has just offered to buy all the parsley I can produce.
I am parsley grower supreme, it has self seeded and grows in the all the cracks in the drive, on all our paths, and even in the garden.
There is a limit to how much of it one can eat, despite it being good for you

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds