To whomever is doing the rain dance....

More
8 years 11 months ago #39708 by Kilmoon
....stop, just stop it now! :D :D :D :D

We'd had 41mm by 9.30am (20mm of that in an hour), its been bucketing every since, I'm about to brave the deluge and go check the gauge again. I can see it with the binoculars from the lounge....the line looks like it may be above the 30mm point.

This morning I let the lambs into the hayshed paddock, they headed straight for the open bay, poor mites, at some stage this winter I'll call them hogetts, at the moment drenched rats is more apt. The ewes have made the odd baa from the back paddock, the tone was along the lines of "we don't have flippers ma"....or gills for that matter. :D

Apparently this is set to continue through the day, then we get snow. I'm not worried about the snow as it would have to be a blizzard to be able to settle.

Wish I could send this north to those cantabs still in drought with brown dead paddocks up around Cheviot - though the heaviness of what we're getting just at the moment would not be helpful. Hope you guys get some rain out of this system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #507457 by stephclark
you are not alone.. its persisting down here in nthland and basically has been most days this week...temp has droped too..brrr

I don't have binoculars but I do have a hubby who is easily bullied into going out to check the stock and move the horses.. :D

More
8 years 11 months ago #507459 by cowvet
It's me doing that rain dance and I'm not stopping! Driest year I can remember and when you are making plans for trucking in stock water then you know it is dry!

I love animals...they're delicious

More
8 years 11 months ago #507460 by Hawkspur
While I'd love the rain to hang off for a couple of days, because I am partway through staining some exterior walls:rolleyes:, it is much needed, and we aren't getting that much. So rain is welcome.

More
8 years 11 months ago #507461 by Kilmoon
So just after posting this thread at 11.34am I went to clear culverts, feed sheeps etc. The first thing I did was check the rain gauge - another 40.5mm in it.

On the way back from clearing all culverts, feeding sheep, stopping to watch really cool white water rapids on the sides of our hills, being amazed at water gushing out of hillsides where we've never had water gush, trickle or show any inclination to come out of before, I got back to the said rain gauge (soaked to the skin by the way - only my shoulders were dry) to find another 31mm in it.

So that's 41mm to about 9.30am, another 40mm to just after 11.30am, then a further 31mm till about 1.35pm

Thats a grand total of 112.5mm so far today[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]....and its still bucketing down.[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

So everyone just stop any hint of a rain dance down around Dunedin....send it all to cowvet instead! :D :D

More
8 years 11 months ago #507467 by Kilmoon
We're now at 146.5mm for the day and still bucketing.

Cowvet, I do hope this front gets to you guys too.

More
8 years 11 months ago #507472 by muri

Kilmoon;514082 wrote: We're now at 146.5mm for the day and still bucketing.

Well I wont make any complaints about our weather then but its not nice.

More
8 years 11 months ago #507473 by Stikkibeek

Kilmoon;514076 wrote: So just after posting this thread at 11.34am I went to clear culverts, feed sheeps etc. The first thing I did was check the rain gauge - another 40.5mm in it.

On the way back from clearing all culverts, feeding sheep, stopping to watch really cool white water rapids on the sides of our hills, being amazed at water gushing out of hillsides where we've never had water gush, trickle or show any inclination to come out of before, I got back to the said rain gauge (soaked to the skin by the way - only my shoulders were dry) to find another 31mm in it.

So that's 41mm to about 9.30am, another 40mm to just after 11.30am, then a further 31mm till about 1.35pm

Thats a grand total of 112.5mm so far today[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]....and its still bucketing down.[}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

So everyone just stop any hint of a rain dance down around Dunedin....send it all to cowvet instead! :D :D

It doesn't count when you stick the garden hose in it! :D :rolleyes: :p

I haven't ventured out to check the rain gauge, but it was only drizzle here, that is until I went out to feed the chooks and put some hay in the goat house.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 11 months ago #507477 by Kilmoon
Now at 166.5mm for the day, no more checks until the morning. Just picked up hubby with the mule, he got stranded on one side of a dip about 2.5km from home. Car is left on one side, he waded up to the waist through it, ahh well will make the morning interesting....I get to go wading to get car.

More
8 years 11 months ago #507488 by funnyfarm331
Now you are just being greedy[;)]. That is a huge amount of rain and I am envious.

We got 7mm overnight which is the most we have had in one fall in weeks.

Please, please, please send some our way.

Hope you manage to get to that car in the morning :( , not a nice way to start the day.

More
8 years 11 months ago #507489 by Ronney
Aren't you glad you own a Mule Kilmoon. Everybody should have one :D .

Given the heavy rain and flooding we get here, I have sympathy for you and also for those in the Canterbury region who are getting minimal or nothing at all. We've had more than I would like at this stage and things are already starting to pug - I'm counting on my fingers how much longer we have to go before spring!

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
8 years 11 months ago #507491 by muri
Rain gauge is full at 130 since sunday
Mowed the lawns saturday before the rain and they are longer now than when I mowed them.
Hope you are all safe in Dunedin, two months rain or so in a day.
Bear in mind a place like Dubai only gets around 100mls a year.
Our weather seems to come in events or weather bombs these days, I think Texas and Oaklahoma had weeks of rain

More
8 years 11 months ago #507496 by Stikkibeek
65mm for the 24 hours to 8am this morning.
Old creek bed is full this morning.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 11 months ago #507499 by igor
No rain gauge at our place but a bucket left outside leads me to believe that we got about three inches in 24 hours. It must have been widespread though because we got the biggest flood I've seen here. Mostly gone this morning though, just very wet underfoot on the flats now. Step-son got a foot of water through his house in South Dunedin and had to move out for the night along with his sheep and chickens. So yeah, definitely time to stop the rain dance or else go do it in Canterbury.

More
8 years 11 months ago #507502 by Kilmoon
Well checked the rain gauge at 10.30pmish last night and ended up with 200.5mm for the day, another 16mm overnight. So that weather front has given us 216.5mm - pretty good.

I'm only saying that because we've escaped serious damage to fences etc (though lots of vegetation to pull off), we managed to get the car and hubby to work this morning, the fire service are at the flooded dip looking for the blocked drains. It had gone from waist height yesterday night to down to knee height - I've driven through it several times already as I'm on kid-sitting duty for siblings. But I feel sorry for the houses there though as they flooded to various degrees. All in all the water has gone quite quick, once more stopped falling that is.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds