Will he reach?

More
8 years 10 months ago #39662 by Breadcrumb
Will he reach? was created by Breadcrumb
Jersey heifer and tiny Dexter bull. Lily is a small 20 month old jersey. She had a bit of a slow start so we have held off breeding her for a while to give her a chance to mature. We asked the dexter stud for a small bull but I honestly didn't know Dexters could be this small! So, will he reach?

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #506998 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Will he reach?
How old is the bull?
There are two types of dexters, the short legged and the long legged and its easy to see which one you got.
To me he looks very small for a dexter, which is why I asked his age

More
8 years 10 months ago #506999 by Breadcrumb
Replied by Breadcrumb on topic Will he reach?
He is 18 months. He is only a little taller than my german shepherd! I saw a bull that someone else had leased from this stud and he was much bigger, hence us asking for a small one.

More
8 years 10 months ago #507001 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Will he reach?
She has to lie down some time..or maybe you could get him a step ladder...

More
8 years 10 months ago #507002 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Will he reach?
He would stand a better chance if you have a hilly paddock so he could be uphill [}:)] ...and I am actually serious [:0]....works for horses ...worked for our short ram lamb this year ....so if in doubt ...find a hill[;)]
He is very cute wee bull[^]

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
8 years 10 months ago #507006 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Will he reach?
18 months or 8 months? If he is a bit taller then a GS then he is about the same size as our 8 month old dexter X lowline steer :)

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
8 years 10 months ago #507016 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Will he reach?
He probably will manage, but the risks for getting hurt during service may also be a possibility

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 10 months ago #507021 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Will he reach?
We used a very squat Dexter bull a couple of years ago over our Jersey heifer. The evidence of his prowess is running about in the paddock, looking very much like a cross of the two breeds.

More
8 years 10 months ago #507022 by Breadcrumb
Replied by Breadcrumb on topic Will he reach?
18 months. He does look mature and he spends a lot of time displaying his goods. I didn't ask if he had serviced any other cows so I'm not sure if he has practise on his side.

I don't have any hills unfortunately. I hope he doesn't hurt himself.

More
8 years 10 months ago #507025 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Will he reach?
you might have to build him a ramp then [}:)] :p

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
8 years 10 months ago #507041 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Will he reach?
I thought with bulls that it wasnt so much the size of the bull that determines the size of the calf but the genetics he carries for small or large calves?
Certainly a small bull is not going to produce a really huge calf but within the range of bulls the same size, some are going to produce larger calves than others.

More
8 years 10 months ago #507046 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Will he reach?
Very, very correct muri. We had a Hereford bull with 1/8 Simmental that caused huge problems. The current pure Hereford has caused no calving problems, but has caused retained testicles and small scrotum. And the Red Devons (not South Devons) have made easy calving but calves that grow.
Re whether he can do the job. That very, very important law of life, Murphy's Law dictates that if you want him to do the job he won't, and if you don't want the job done then it will be.

More
8 years 10 months ago #507055 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Will he reach?
If you didn't want him to then he undoubtedly would. It is likely that if there is any sort of hill or bump in the paddock it will be used to good advantage.

More
8 years 10 months ago #507068 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Will he reach?
She looks just like our jersey of the same age. Hope it all works out. Our girl slipped her first calf and we are about to AI her again next time she is in season. :)

I'm very envious of all your grass, the rain keeps on going around us here and I'd give quite a lot to be going into winter with more grass than we have.

More
8 years 10 months ago #507085 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Will he reach?
He'd reach if you didn't want him to. Watch your heifer for signs of being on heat and then watch again in three weeks time, give or take a few days. I'd allow him one cycle to figure things out but if he doesn't manage on the second one ie if you see a third (and subsequent) heats I'd get worried.

At this stage my money would be on the bull.

hilldweller

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds