Watson multi shears or electric clippers?

More
8 years 10 months ago #39637 by hilldweller
My cheapish old fashioned blades are blunt and from reading various threads on here it seems as if sharpening and setting them correctly is always going to be an uphill battle. I need something better for dagging/crutching small numbers. Generally the shitty jobs LOL!

There is power near where the yards will be so electric clippers are an option, but the only ones I've actually held weighed a tonne and my hands simply wouldn't be strong enough. Probably fine for a big strong bloke though. Looking on TM some of the brands give weights and they do vary quite a bit so I'm wondering about either one of the smaller/lighter models (there are a couple at 1.2kg), or the Watson multi shears which I've never seen at all, but like the look of on the website. Would be interested in thoughts from anyone who's used either.

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #506806 by funnyfarm331
I have a friend who bought a set of electric ones from TM and she is thrilled with them.

We borrowed them for a few tidy up jobs on some bottoms here and my farm hand hated them and went back to his trusty blades in double quick time.
Granted he is no shearer[;)], but they were noisy, he had trouble getting them to cut well and said that when we get to the point of needing to replace ours we will be going with the Watson shears without doubt! He always makes a great job with hand shears and whilst we both see how easy they should be to use, the electric ones don't work for us.

He also had a heck of a job with the comb getting it to fit properly before he could try them out.

I'd try to borrow some before I bought anything, just in case you too find electric ones more trouble than they are worth.

More
8 years 10 months ago #506815 by Stikkibeek
RichardW on here should be able to tell you all you need to know about the Watson multi shears. Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 10 months ago #507015 by hilldweller
Any other opinions?

And yes I've read that thread SB and think they look good. Just wish it was possible to try both as I'm sure it would then be an easy decision one way or another.

hilldweller

More
8 years 10 months ago #507033 by Breadcrumb
We have the 1.2kg ones from trademe. We have only used them on 5 sheep so far and have never used proper shears so can't compare but they have done a good job so far. They are heavy for me to hold but my husband manages. They do heat up with prolonged use (but we are VERY slow shearers) so might not be good for lots of sheep.

More
8 years 10 months ago #507086 by hilldweller
Hmmmm.... I am leaning towards the Watson shears because they look like a quality product with good backup, and because I'm sure they must be better than what I'm currently using. The electric ones might be better and then they might not, or might simply be too heavy/awkward in which case a complete waste. The thought of nice evenly clipped derrieres is appealing though and might be easier to achieve with electric clippers than the multishears, given a lack of skill and back strength/fitness.

I did the last few lambs with the blunt blades at the weekend and though they are now dag-free (and drenched etc) it was a slow process and they look untidy.

hilldweller

More
8 years 10 months ago #507102 by Ronney
HD, I have a Handypiece, not cheap but I got it as a Christmas present and wish I'd had one 40 years ago!

It comes with it's own battery or can be used off a 12v battery direct from your Mule, vehicle or whatever. My initial problem with it was that at 40kgs I'm hardly an Amazon and when I put the belt on it immediately fell to my ankles :D . That has since been rectified. My shearer has used it when his machine spat the dummy and he cleanly shore the remaining six, full-fleece ewes with it.

With the number of sheep you have, I would strongly recommend you investigate these.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
8 years 10 months ago #507141 by hilldweller
Thanks Ronney. I'd never heard of those. They look pretty cool from their website. Outside my budget but might be of interest to others.

hilldweller

More
8 years 10 months ago #507142 by Ronney
I thought they might be outside your budget because they don't come cheap. Maybe in the future when your fencing, yards etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum have been dealt with.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
8 years 7 months ago #512088 by hilldweller
Ended up going with the Watson shears and have just used them for the first time, to belly and crutch 8 woollies who missed pre-lamb shearing. Very happy :) On the clean fleece across the bellies they were just lovely to use, and on daggy rear-ends the super sharp blade and ability to snip with the very end of it were great. One poor ewe got a cut on the tail but fewer cuts overall than I would have expected with the old blades, and much quicker and easier. And what I really like is that if I don't manage to keep them sharp myself with the stone provided I can send them away to Watsons for a service, so they should last forever really :)

hilldweller

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds