Our shower's gone blue!

More
9 years 1 week ago #39633 by Stikkibeek
And no it's not shivering in the cold!
All down the sides which are some sort of aquaboard they are changing from pinkish stripes, and also the tray which is a cream coloured fibreglass, to big patches of blue hue! It's staining said patches as almost impossible to wash off, exception being the hand basin which is porcelain . This has only started to happen this year and very recently. All that has changed is hooking up the two big Bailey tanks. Water not used before catches off the colour steel roof (mist green, tanks same colour) and the starting of the fire since the weather turned cold. Funny thing though, no problems with this re the fire (Very hot water) for the last two winters. It seems to be coming exclusively from the hot water tap (most noticeable on the hand basin, and by the blue hue, I suspect copper. So, do copper pipes deteriorate internally? Is it just super heated hot water that does this? or is our new hot water cylinder the problem?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 week ago #506749 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Our shower's gone blue!
Having heard of other people with this problem it can be due to pine needles making the water acidic which is reactive with your hot tank - I guess it is copper lined.

More
9 years 1 week ago #506750 by Farmersden
Replied by Farmersden on topic Our shower's gone blue!
Did you a quick google and it suggested this: blue staining could be related to improper grounding of electrical service causing electrolytic dissolution of copper lining in the tank.. sounds interesting. We get the pink staining from the minerals in the water that come straight out of the spring with no filtering never had blue though! good luck !

More
9 years 1 week ago #506751 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic Our shower's gone blue!
For goodness sakes, don't wash your hair - otherwise everybody will think you fancy Winston.

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
9 years 1 week ago #506753 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Our shower's gone blue!

Farmersden;513285 wrote: ... We get the pink staining from the minerals in the water that come straight out of the spring with no filtering never had blue though! good luck !

Minerals or pink algal growth? Our shower goes all sorts of gross colours if I don't clean it often enough - which I rarely do.

WillEyre;513286 wrote: For goodness sakes, don't wash your hair - otherwise everybody will think you fancy Winston.

Quite a lot of people up here decided they fancied him - or at least he was the lesser of two evils. Damn, now I've thought about that joke which ends with a punchline about two weevils and can't remember the rest.

More
9 years 1 week ago #506755 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Our shower's gone blue!
We gat blue staining in our fibrglass shower and on the porcelain basin too and I've always assumed it comes from the copper pipes in the house. After a lot of trials and even more elbow grease I discovered Shower Power (from the supermarket) and hey presto easy cleaning. I spray round the shower walls and floor when they are wet and a few seconds later the stain has gone. Dry off and leaves a nice shine and no surface damage. I don't like using it everyday so dry the shower after use and that minimises the problem

More
9 years 1 week ago #506759 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Our shower's gone blue!

WillEyre;513286 wrote: For goodness sakes, don't wash your hair - otherwise everybody will think you fancy Winston.

Maybe I do! Maybe I don't, I couldn't possibly say!.....but I will add I'm not in the blue rinse brigade yet, but I may soon be an aging copper redhead!

So Ruth, Don't take the lessor of the two weevils, it's in the best interests of our navy!

More
9 years 1 week ago #506760 by Ruth
:D Yeah, google's quite useful that way. Anything I can't remember turns up on there...

More
9 years 1 week ago #506761 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic Our shower's gone blue!

Stikkibeek;513294 wrote: Maybe I do! Maybe I don't, I couldn't possibly say!.....but I will add I'm not in the blue rinse brigade yet, but I may soon be an aging copper redhead!

So Ruth, Don't take the lessor of the two weevils, it's in the best interests of our navy!

There's quite a lot of info available through Google that relates to your problem.
But, I have to say that I had no idea anybody leased weevils.

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
9 years 1 week ago #506762 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Our shower's gone blue!

WillEyre;513296 wrote:
But, I have to say that I had no idea anybody leased weevils.

Leases are quite a different matter It's the plural of louse! :D

More
9 years 1 week ago #506771 by Ruth
Making these lousy weevils.

More
9 years 1 week ago #506778 by Geba
Replied by Geba on topic Our shower's gone blue!
Our water runs blue AND red - blue from the ancient copper pipes being egged along by the cypress needles, and red from the minerals in the ground.
It turns our hair green (and no I am NOT kidding...). Needless to say, it's not drinkable.

More
9 years 1 week ago #506787 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Our shower's gone blue!
You say you have new tanks,Was your previous tank concrete?
If so, therein lies your problem.
I await your response before I go further................

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
9 years 1 week ago #506795 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Our shower's gone blue!
oxidised copper from your new hot water cylinder. Rain water is surprisingly acidic. We get it too. A good cream cleanser gets it off most surfaces (we use the ecostore one).

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
9 years 1 week ago #506798 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Our shower's gone blue!
One suggested solution I have seen was a plastic net bag, like an onion bag, filled with limestone chips, hung in the water tank to reduce the acidity.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds