The Perfect Kitchen

More
8 years 11 months ago #506800 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic The Perfect Kitchen
gas hob - essential. Nothing is as good for getting things hot quickly, and also doing a consistent simmer.
wood range (homewood heritage, cos: glass door on the fire and two ovens)
lots of bench space - we need more just next to the wood range, which has been partially fixed by putting a wooden cover over the gas hob when we don't use it, and will put shelves up for stuff that accumulates on the bench.
Wood cupboard that is accessible from outside and in
We will eventually have a big cool store for preserves, veges etc.
We will eventually also have an outdoors sink/bench for washing/sorting veg and then it can be passed in a window (sash window).
Part of the bench is about to be granite for hot dishes, bread kneading, etc.
We could do with more bench space that faces out to the dining room - we tend to use that more than the bench that faces the wall, but that is the bit next to the wood range...
Fridge by the door is very useful.
Two good size sinks. Draining board on both sides.
Drawer for herbs and spices - in fact I agree, drawers for as much as possible but our kitchen is a remodelled old kitchen so is mostly cupboards. We've put drawer units inside some.
We have a chef's trolley that can be put away under the bench that has stuff hanging on the front, and pot lids on the top. Also hang frying pans, larger utensils etc above the wood range.
We need better light too. That's another work in progress.
Cross-ventiliation somehow. When we use the wood range in summer, and even on many other days during the year, we have a window in the kitchen open, and the louvres or doors open in the dining room. Means the cook doesn't roast as well as the chicken.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506807 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic The Perfect Kitchen
We built almost 3 years ago and my kitchen has some things I would never change:

Gas -a 5 ring hob - one is huge, perfect for simmering sauces etc.

The biggest sink you can fit in, I have an even bigger one in my laundry which is great for milk buckets etc, etc.

You cannot have too much bench space - the more, the better.

A window with an awesome view. I spend a lot of time in my kitchen and the view is fabulous. I know this is not always possible but worth considering!!

As much drawer/cupboard space as you can fit in. I have a large pantry and lots of big deep drawers.

The fridge is near the entrance to the kitchen - same thinking as Kate's.

The biggest oven you can afford. Take your biggest roasting/lasagne dish when you buy. Many people are putting in small ovens and regretting it.

Consider your bench surface and colours when you are planning. I am a bit of a wipe as I go girl, and so my black diamond finish bench and white drawers etc works for me but wouldn't for some people. We have found though that the white doesn't actually get that dirty- and I don't clean it everyday. Just when spills happen and in the school holidays we have a kitchen clean down.
Making it easy clean - large splashback, no tiles is another consideration. We have ended up with a very functional large family kitchen that can easily cope with preserving/cheese making etc and there still be room for bread, dinner prep etc.

We are all reasonably tall so we went for a higher than normal bench and all the units go to the ceiling - no dust collecting space!

The only thing missing is a chef, to free me up for more outside time...[;)]

More
8 years 11 months ago #506810 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic The Perfect Kitchen
I would want drawers instead of cupboards, including in the pantry. With a pantry I would choose a slide out option instead of cupboard doors. However that would mean a great deal of planning. For me, the slide-outs would be double-sided with room for one layer - ie. the preserve section would pull out and all my jars would be nice and neat. I find it frustrating to have a huge height and depth in the pantry - easy to lose things and get cluttered.
Lots of storage. The point about making sure attachments have something to attach to is a good point. I hated my pasta maker because I could not successfully attach it to be easily used. Straight benches - not cornered - any upboard space underneath is usually wasted and perfect for pests to get in and hide.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506826 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic The Perfect Kitchen

cowvet;513083 wrote:
My ideal kitchen would be one I could clean with a high pressure hose

You'll need resource consent for the pond you will need to dig and discharge permits for the effluent! :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 11 months ago #506832 by igor
Replied by igor on topic The Perfect Kitchen
Must be a very large room or a series of interconnected rooms. Must have at least one door directly accessing an outside enclosed porch. Two pressed stainless steel sink benches required, one with a normal size sink and the other with a big commercial sized potwash sink that can take dairy buckets and large stockpots. At least two island workbenches in addition to the usual bench around the walls, one being a solidly constructed timber bench securely bolted to the structure of the house that would have the butter churn and other big hand cranked gear like mincers and graters bolted down on it. A big marble slab inset into the other island bench for rolling pastry on would be nice to have. Freezers and all but one of the fridges should be in a separate room or an external enclosed porch so that they don't have to fight the heat of the kitchen. For cooking I would like to have a solid fuel burning range with wetback in addition to an electric range and electric water heating. Having had a gas range before and found it to produce a lot of dampness in the whole house I would be reluctant to use one as the main cooking appliance again. As far as storage in the kitchen goes I like cupboards rather than drawers or open shelves. A separate bulk store with shelves all around would be nice to have. I'm sure I've missed a few things out but that's the guts of it.
NO MDF OR PLASTIC LAMINATE BOARDS ALLOWED AT ALL ANYWHERE, ONLY SOLID TIMBER, preferably of naturally durable species.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506836 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic The Perfect Kitchen
For those with clamping pasta makers or mincers etc, what is the maximum thickness of benchtop they can fit in their clamp, and how deep do they need the projection of the bench to be?

More
8 years 11 months ago #506860 by Stikkibeek

Hawkspur;513378 wrote: For those with clamping pasta makers or mincers etc, what is the maximum thickness of benchtop they can fit in their clamp, and how deep do they need the projection of the bench to be?

Hawkspur, most modern benches are too thick for mincers and those kind of clamp on things. I used to have a really good burley mincer which had a sausage stuffer, but it wouldn't even fit on the S/S bench, so I ended up selling it.
In our old homestead, Dad made a pullout chopping board (like those tea trays that up market night stands have) We didn't use it for chopping as it was some sort of ply laminated core board, but it was absolutely indispensible for hooking on the mincer and provided a shelf space to put a bowl to catch the minced toheroas mainly. One of those would solve all the clamp on issues.
Like the above picture, but under the bench

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
8 years 11 months ago #506895 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic The Perfect Kitchen

Stikkibeek;513406 wrote: Hawkspur, most modern benches are too thick for mincers and those kind of clamp on things. I used to have a really good burley mincer which had a sausage stuffer, but it wouldn't even fit on the S/S bench, so I ended up selling it.
In our old homestead, Dad made a pullout chopping board (like those tea trays that up market night stands have) We didn't use it for chopping as it was some sort of ply laminated core board, but it was absolutely indispensible for hooking on the mincer and provided a shelf space to put a bowl to catch the minced toheroas mainly. One of those would solve all the clamp on issues.
Like the above picture, but under the bench

Yes, but how thick is too thick? 20 /30/40 mm?

Many high pressure laminates, like Formica are done with a 36mm edge because that is 2 layers of 18mm MDF, and most have a substrate of 18mm overall, so it is easy to simply double that to form the edge. That also allows a bullnose to be formed. Many laminates have a minimum radius of 15mm, (some can now be taken down to 10mm). A thin edge is also more vulnerable to laminate peeling off.
Folding metal -such as for the edge on a stainless steel bench - is difficult if two folds forming the edge are closer than 20mm, and that is quite tight for some manufacturers.

More
8 years 11 months ago #506905 by Stikkibeek
Both my kitchen bench and laundry bench which is stainless steel are 40mm and the old bean slicer only just fits the laundry bench. It won't fit the kitchen bench as there is no overhang to speak of, so it wouldn't stay there without the potential to damage the bench

More
8 years 11 months ago #506936 by Sulky Creek
Replied by Sulky Creek on topic The Perfect Kitchen

kindajojo;513089 wrote: We have a ceramic with for elements and one gas with the glass bottle outside under the house.
Drawers not cupboards..much easier to access just pull out and chuck everything in....with soft close on the ones the kids slam shut .
Big deep sink.....so you can put a cold lamb in to reheat....
Two ovens.....if you are doing wood fired.... get an electric as well
Just a good layout with plenty of bench space ...

I am sure you can get Gas ceramic tops. I have a ceramic induction top. It is amazing. Eye level oven for easy clean. The house I bought, has a wall oven on a corner on an angle - 2 ovens. Right beside the ovens is the induction stove top. This area I thought was really weird as it is stainless steel and 10cm lower than the bench top. But it turns out is it amazing. I take stuff out of the oven and put it on this bench. low so I can see in it. It is a great feature and a friend loves it as well and having it put into her new kitchen. Also make the bench higher 95cm not 90cm. makes all the difference

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds