Raw milk - vets stance

More
9 years 1 month ago #505772 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Raw milk - vets stance
You are stretching rather a long bow there LR. Please give a reference to the law forbidding the consumption (not sale for other's consumption) of raw milk. I will be very surprised if you can find it. The consumption of raw milk has been standard practice in dairy farming families for as long as there have been dairy farms and I do not believe that it will stop any time soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505783 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Raw milk - vets stance

Stikkibeek;512177 wrote: That's not the point I was making

my point was that there is a big difference between the two. The big thing about chicken is that we cook it which then minimises the risk.....much like pasteurisation.

What was your point when bringing chicken into the discussion?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 1 month ago #505791 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Raw milk - vets stance
Until recently it has been absolutely forbidden to sell raw milk for human consumption in any quantity at all. Within the last 10 years, some shysters got around that law by labelling it "For animal use only", well knowing they were selling it for human consumption. The 5 litre rule is a very new regulation.
I wonder where my 1980 Food Regulations are ......
Oops, I see your point. If I were ACC I would say that farmers eat and drink lots of things that the general population does not, including cow pee when they are hit across the face by a dirty tail when in the milking shed, so they are likely to have some immunity to some of the bugs. Also, with less than 10% of the population living and working in the rural environment when ACC was set up, and even fewer milking cows and drinking that milk, the overall risk to the population at large is not big enough to be concerned about.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505795 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Raw milk - vets stance

LongRidge;512205 wrote: that farmers eat and drink lots of things that the general population does not, including cow pee when they are hit across the face by a dirty tail when in the milking shed, so they are likely to have some immunity to some of the bugs.

& cow poo...I didnt injest any this time but it was very hard to laugh with poo on the side of my lip & nose

Attached files
File Attachment:

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds