Raw milk - vets stance

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505694 by HeidiLee
Replied by HeidiLee on topic Raw milk - vets stance
Just out of interest, what are the illnesses that cows can pass on to humans through the consumption of infected raw milk?

Heidi
8.5 acres | 2 horses | 1 dog | 18 chooks | peace & quiet | a big smile on my dial![:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505697 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Raw milk - vets stance
At the end of the day, we are responsible for what we put in our mouths....
We assume that the various govt organisations monitor food production, food outlets etc to ensure that food is basically ok for human consumption, however this is not idiot proof. People need to take personal responsibility ...there are places I won't eat, places that have questionable hygiene standards and if it looks a bit dodgy well it probably is...but I bet we have all Been caught out with a case of food poisoning from a dodgy custard square, chicken roll, ham sandwich ..late night pie from that service station that's been there all day, fly in the salad and human hair in the burger.
What really really annoys me is food products that we have an expectation is suitable for consumption and turns out to be rubbish.....import products with high DDT levels and contaminants, meat labelled as meat which turns out to be reconstituted 30%meat plus filler..additives , colourings etc all of which is not included in the "healthy heart tick" label.
I know the risks of raw milk.....I assume the farmer as advised in his disclosure is regularly to tested and the milk periodically checked...-and he has taken reasonable care.
Everything after that is my responsibility.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505698 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Raw milk - vets stance
There was a snail in my spag bol the other night. To whom may I complain?

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505701 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Raw milk - vets stance
Suck it up....
In France it would be a delicacy and you would pay extra
It's only a snail can't have been too hard to catch....not like a cockroach, in a bowl of salad, they can really move..
Shell provides good fibre...keeps you regular

As my mum said, if you want to complain to ...go tell the person in the mirror.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505703 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Raw milk - vets stance
HeidiLee, see my post above for a few of the transmissible diseases that cows can give to humans. Note that the above does not include cow-pox, which is transmissible to humans and is very closely related to small-pox. With much of the population no longer being vaccinated, some of the human population catching cow-pox would again become a real possibility.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505705 by wandering free
www.tbfreeengland.co.uk/assets/4148

My mother lost a few of her friends to TB in Sheffield in the 20'a and 30s, one as young as 19, how lucky we are today that we can van pick and chose, I believe Bovine TB testing was started in 1935 in the UK, I was born the year after and how anyone can stub their nose at TB beats me, I am aware it was "cured" in 1955, but it's economic considerations are just as important.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505708 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Raw milk - vets stance

LongRidge;512108 wrote: HeidiLee, see my post above for a few of the transmissible diseases that cows can give to humans. Note that the above does not include cow-pox, which is transmissible to humans and is very closely related to small-pox. With much of the population no longer being vaccinated, some of the human population catching cow-pox would again become a real possibility.

But this would be an advantage because if if we get cowpox we can't get smallpox when its unleashed on the world by a terrorist organisation.......[xx(]

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505709 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Raw milk - vets stance

cowvet;511989 wrote: For those who are interested....

The New Zealand Veterinary Association has made an official submission against the sale of raw milk to the public.

When asked (by MPI) for details on cost for a vet to visit a farm twice a year to ''certify the herd as healthy'' vets replied that as a profession they wanted no part in giving the public the illusion that if the herd 'looks healthy'' that this gives any assurance that the milk is safe. All of NZVA's experienced dairy practitioners who contributed to the NZVA submission stated that it would not be possible to guarantee the safety of raw milk by routine veterinary inspection of farms.

Vets have been instructed by their professional insurance provider to refrain from certifying any herd as healthy for raw milk sale and the insurer will resolve to exclude cover for this activity.

feedstuffsfoodlink.com/story-drinking-ra...lness-risk-71-126289

While many of you have made good comments on the pros and cons of the ingesting/sale of raw milk, it isn't what the thread is about and suspect that the debate has started from the sentence "The New Zealand Veterinary Association has made an official submission against the sale of raw milk to the public". Under the circumstances they didn't have a lot of choice and I don't blame them for their stance - and I say this as an avid consumer of raw milk.

Read the rest of that post well and then scroll down to post No: 14.

No vet can look at a healthy animal and guarantee that what it produces is going to be healthy. How can they know that my beef steer has a perfect heart, lungs, kidneys, gut, brain and muscle? They can't which is why there are vets at the works. How can they know my cow will produce a healthy calf? They can't. How can they know they will produce healthy milk? They can't. That is done by the farmer and at the factory - and is why Althea jumps through the hoops to sell her raw milk. It would appear from her post there are already measures in place for the production and sale of raw milk.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505710 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Raw milk - vets stance
I agree that the Vets should not certify the milk as healthy by their inspection of animals on a particular farm, no one would expect that.
I do object to their submissions on the sale of raw milk

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505713 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Raw milk - vets stance
I agree Muri and would hope that anyone with common sense could work out that a healthy animal does not mean the milk is safe. So much else comes into play, including how the milk is stored etc which is why never in a million years will I be selling milk to anyone once Dory calves. It is simply not worth the risk - but I am very grateful for those who do and allow people the choice.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505715 by Althea from Middelmost
Oooo Ronney ... I think I had better clarify my post #14. I am not selling raw milk. I am supplying Synlait in Canterbury. But I do drink my milk - I take a couple of litres out for me each day before it goes into the milk tanker. When the tanker arrives to pick my milk up, my milk has several test samples taken before it is put into the milk tanker. There are several more tests done on the bulk tanker milk before it enters the factory and each product Synlait makes has a huge range of safety and security checks and tests along the way to the end product. It is fascinating to see the high tec procedures in place. You should Google Synlait and have a look. I think the people who are selling certified raw milk to the public have the same tests applied to their milk on a daily basis as well so they have a pretty comprehensive regime in place too.

I would still drink my own raw milk even if it wasn't going through any testing as I trust my own hygiene standards during the milking process, I trust my own cow's health and happiness, and I know my own personal and household cleaning prodecures.

I also seem to be the one who never gets colds or infections, or Dheli Belly when I am in India. I seem to be disgustingly healthy.

(P.S. TB Testing has applied to my housecow/cows/any other bovine I have owned on a regular basis since TB Testing started yonks back)

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #505716 by Althea from Middelmost
P.P.S. I have also always vaccinated my herd for Lepto.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #505719 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Raw milk - vets stance
Perhaps we should follow the Australian example and no perks or benefits for the dairy farmers unless all their cows are vaccinated

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #505721 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Raw milk - vets stance
To clarify....
The submission against was extensive based on the increased incidence of food borne Disease that occurs with the consumption of raw versus pasteurised milk. The is increased disease and there will be more if consumption goes up. It provided a veterinary opinion based on expertise in and science around food borne disease derived from animal products, milk hygiene, udder health, epidemiology of disease, public health stats, microbiology, milk contamination etc

The bit about certifying healthy cows was given outside of the original submission when vets were queried on what their costs might be to provide such a service if it were to be a requirement for raw milk sales.

It's also interesting to note that there is no robust research proving that the claimed health benefits for drinking raw milk actually exist . It is all anecdotal and much like the vaccination causes autism myth could lead to more harm than good. We know there are risks of disease caused by raw milk but at the moment there are no proven benefits so impossible for a science based profession to justify supporting it on a science and risk based approach.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #505722 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Raw milk - vets stance

muri;512129 wrote: Perhaps we should follow the Australian example and no perks or benefits for the dairy farmers unless all their cows are vaccinated

Would you care to expand on that for the benefit of those of us who have never farmed in Australia?

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds