Cat food, what do you feed?

More
9 years 1 month ago #505403 by bevhawkins
Our elderly cat often tries to take the raw dog feed I buy
for my Border Terriers. He goes mad for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505405 by Belle Bosse
My two cats mainly have Jimbos "pure beef" and "steak and kidney". They particularly like the steak and kidney. They didn't like kangaroo meat, MAX cat food or Jimbos white lidded "Economy" pot of horse meat.
When camping with limited chilli-bin space the cats have fresh then defrosted Jimbos beef. When that runs out, they have Whiskers canned food and occasionally the cat meat rolls which they don't care for. They are happy to return to fresh meat!

The cats supplement this with fresh caught rabbit or mice; eating from the head down. They also enjoy small amounts of coconut milk during the week.
Chantelle likes to share food I cook for hubby and me: eggs, veges, millet custard, oat porridge, potato soup and tomato based brown lentils. She also enjoys sinking her teeth and claws into apples, peaches, pears and plums.
Simon enjoys sharing hubby's oat porridge and coconut milk of a morning, the occasional boiled potato and has helped himself to the chook's organic layer mash when it was left in reach.

I don't buy the cheaper cat food brands as the cats either wont eat it, or it upsets Chantelle's tummy. When Kelly was with us she always got the best available, as cheap cat food upset her tummy. She was mostly fed fresh meat and particularly liked Jimbos steak and kidney. She was a keen rabbiter. Kelly lived in good health to 20 yrs 11 mths.

I've cut biscuits from our young cat's diet for several reasons:
1. Canola, corn, soy ingredients are mostly GE these days. I want to avoid GE salmon , the mercury load in large fish (tuna, mackerel) and the antibiotic load in commercial chicken.
2. I have previously bought Organic cat biscuits which are quite expensive at $30+ a 1.5 kg bag. Simon would sit in front of the bag most the day either trying to break into it or pawing the bag to let me know he wanted biscuits. Both cats like the organic biscuits.
3. Grains are not part of a cat's natural diet.
4. The budget doesn't support $30 a month for cat biscuits! Especially when saving for water tanks and other things to make a bare block liveable.

Since cutting the biscuits, Chantelle has lost the excess weight she was carrying. She is looking more like the sleek slim cat she was before being spayed. Simon just goes and helps himself to the neighbour's cat's biscuits. He doesn't care if they are cheap or expensive. He'd eat biscuits all day if he could... I think it may have been his diet before he was abandoned and joined us.

Years ago I had two cats who were opposites when it came to food preferences:
Sheena was nearly vegetarian by her own choice. She'd eat grated raw carrot, shredded lettuce, cucumber, vege soups, stews and even enjoyed fruit, especially rock melon! She would not touch raw meat. It had to be cooked, but even then, she was reluctant to eat it. She ate Whiskers canned fish and Whiskers biscuits.
'Tella would only eat raw or canned meat and a small amount of biscuits. She'd bypass everything else for freshly shot rabbit, but dad had to have it skinned for her first!!

Cats like most other animals need a slow change over when swapping to a new diet. Try mincing fresh home kill meat and mixing small amounts in with the food they are used to. Gradually increase the amount until the "old food" is more like the flavouring for the raw or cooked fresh meat. Sometimes it is because of the additives and flavourings in commercial foods that the cats don't like the change over... the new food tastes "bland" without it.
Good luck with the change over!

More
9 years 1 month ago #505410 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
Thanks everyone, I get the feeling we are all slaves to our pampered cats [}:)] I'm buying liver today and will start to mix fresh meat and liver into their very smelly pouch food.

As it is, they don't like the pouch food that much, they leave a lot in their bowls...as they beg for toast when I'm having breakfast every day maybe I should just give them that [;)]

Web Goddess

More
9 years 1 month ago #505412 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
I forgot to mention one cat likes hamburger buns and turnip (swede/rutabaga, call it what you like). Things I found out the hard way not to leave out on the bench.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505415 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
Mine like mainly chicken flavoured tinned food, raw meat, fish and get the occasional handful of dried cat food. They are good farm cats and will eat whatever is put in front of them most times and will also bring home bunnies and other lovely presents.

One is such a garbage guts that he will raid the wheelie bin by fishing under the lid until he grabs a plastic rubbish sack then hauls it up like a fisherman..... nom nom!

Axxx - the lovely black cat I lost on the road a couple of years ago had a real passion for bread products. [:0] He would hijack the groceries on their way to the cupboards and steal a whole loaf of bread out of a shopping bag which he would eat about 1/4 of a slice off every slice in the whole loaf!

He also stole my crumpets out of the toaster one morning when I went to answer the phone and by the time I got back to the kitchen a couple of minutes later there was just a pile of crumbs left under the coffee table. [}:)]

You daren't leave any unattended baking on the bench to cool when he was around as he would happily grab biscuits and scoff cake as well! It was so bad that we got a "catproof" bunker made for the new kitchen so that we could cool baking and other things without fear they would get eaten by him. Sadly he decided to go and visit the people across the road and must have been hit by a car the day before I left for my holiday.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505421 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
One of ours just finished licking clean my mango yoghurt pottle!

More
9 years 1 month ago #505482 by LongRidge
My post got deleted and I had to re-sign in. For a moment I thought that I had been removed from membership :-((.
Our cats only get meat and a few pellets. They will not eat fresh meat until it has been frozen, nor if it has fat or gristle or membrane on or in it. They tend to vomit back liver and fish.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505509 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
Nothing...

Zilch...

Nada...

They bring US rats. well, until I drop a yearling feral kid goat plomp in front of their noses after a trip out the back of the farm. Then they figure out we can provide for ourselves without their charity for a while before they start giving hand-outs again.

But a plucked possum left on the farm deck gradually gets rendered down to bones over a few days. Wild young rabbits have a tendency to show up mysteriously under the kitchen table and then disappear other than a few smears on the lino.

One SMALL pack of kitty treats in a resealable pouch lasts a couple of months,

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 1 month ago #505696 by Bibby
Replied by Bibby on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
A skinned possum leg or two in the evening and free choice cat biscuits.

Possum (our cat) loves the possum legs, and seems to relish having meat that she can tear off the bone.

She has had possum since we caught her as a feral kitten so the flavour may not be to every cat's taste.

It is great to combine trapping pests with feeding the cat though :) .

The possum legs seem to last best when hung outside with the skin on as they go slimy in the fridge after a couple of days. Any excess possum legs are frozen for later. We've found that most of the meat on a possum is in the legs and the rest of the carcass gets thrown in the bush as it's not worth the effort to gut and butcher.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505740 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
Just discovered all three of my cats like stuffed buttenut squash that has been cooked with chilli oil, loads of garlic, then stuffed with veg. I would have thought the smell of garlic alone would have put them off, let alone the chilli.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505751 by jross
Replied by jross on topic Cat food, what do you feed?

kai;512150 wrote: Just discovered all three of my cats like stuffed buttenut squash that has been cooked with chilli oil, loads of garlic, then stuffed with veg. I would have thought the smell of garlic alone would have put them off, let alone the chilli.

[:0] That there are some strange moggies...[;)]

More
9 years 1 month ago #505764 by stephclark
my lot get the cheap bickies and cans... they wont touch the posh stuff or fresh, but cooked veg, fat trimmings, bread, pasta any soup etc ..yum yum...

but they make short work of bunnies, mice and sparrows...wont eat a rat ( who can blame them ?[^] )

food goes out in the morning... first in, best served...

More
9 years 1 month ago #505800 by wandering free

Ruth;511732 wrote: We ended up on one of the vet-sold "better" biscuits. The cats all died, regardless.

How old were the cats Ruth, Smokey died and was only just over 3, we have no idea why, he'd been dead a week when he was found near water, I had noticed he was drinking more than usual but put it down to hot weather.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
9 years 1 month ago #505802 by kindajojo
Swop cats for a Labrador.....no problem with what to feed....

More
9 years 1 month ago #505806 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cat food, what do you feed?

wandering free;512214 wrote: How old were the cats Ruth, Smokey died and was only just over 3, we have no idea why, he'd been dead a week when he was found near water, I had noticed he was drinking more than usual but put it down to hot weather.

Spice: 5 years, by modified possum trap out on the farm set to catch her feral relatives. Foxton: 16-17, age-related decline, organ failure, euthansia. Finan: 7 years, cancerous kidney nodules, secondaries throughout, euthanasia.

It wasn't a serious post, more a sort of "I gave them the best, they still died"... Just rather sooner than I had in mind in two thirds of that small and adored population.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds