Cat food, what do you feed?

More
9 years 1 month ago #39494 by kate
Our three cats get cat biscuits and a pouch or two of feed a day between them. I'd really like to feed them something a bit healthier. When given lovely, fresh, homekill meat they turn up their noses, although when we're cooking they hang around, sucking their cheeks in and looking hungry.

Anyone out there who can recommend a better diet?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505366 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
We ended up on one of the vet-sold "better" biscuits. The cats all died, regardless.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505368 by jeannielea
Add a small bit of liver to the meat and they should eat it. Once they've got the taste you won't have a problem and can stop the liver

More
9 years 1 month ago #505370 by Hawkspur
My cat has been on quite a few different diets recently because of medical issues.

Cats need either very fresh meat or specific cat food because any processing, whether mincing, chopping, freezing or cooking, degrades some of the constituents that cats need in their diet. (Freezing has a slower effect, so can be OK if the meat is frozen for no more than a year, and defrosted without being warmed too much, such as may happen in a microwave. Defrosting overnight in the fridge is better.)
One of the essential constituents for cats that is easily degraded is the amino acid taurine, and there are others I can't remember the name of.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505371 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
I know what you mean. My cat won't eat raw meat (not even liver) but will eat some cooked scraps sometimes, but leave them at other times, He loves tinned tuna but won't touch raw fish (even tuna)
I feed Optimum biscuits ad lib and he feeds himself large rats several times a week. He will eat the rat down to the tail, but won't touch anything raw I give him :confused::confused:
Since going primal myself I have been looking into raw diet for the cat but as he won't touch anything I've tried him with so far I think I'll put it in the too hard basket. He's very healthy and hasn't been to the vet in years, so I think what might be lacking in the biscuits is found in the rats!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 1 month ago #505374 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
As HS mentioned, taurine is a big one. It is most abundantly present in the brain and heart, which is why your cats may sometimes just the head or upper half of a rat or mouse (my big hunter does this, and artfully arranges the rest of the carcass just outside the door to the verandah, the highest indoor/outdoor traffic area of our home! The other day there were bits of FIVE rats and mice out there, and he didn't bother coming in for his supper).

Anyway, we feed a mix of raw: beef, hare or rabbit & green tripe. It's the same stuff the dogs get actually, but the cats also get regular feeds of raw goat milk fresh out of the goat as well turkey or lamb heart. We have a fantastic raw pet food place not far from here, and we've been customers going on 12 years. They have a huge selection of foods specific to all kinds of pets, and they also supply the local wildlife park's carnivorous creatures. I think whatever you feed, it's best it remains consistent, and not trying a little of this a little of that, especially with prepared foods. Of course if your cat has allergies, that's a whole other can of worms. Raw food can sometimes alleviate allergy problems, but not always.

When we run out of the pet meat (we buy 40kg once a month, and that feeds 2 dogs and 5 cats) now and again, the cats get Virbac cat bix or Harroways cat bix (both from supermarket, but they are a good quality feed). One cat, the one who's had the raw meat since arriving here a year ago at about 4 months old, hates biscuits. They are a novelty for one meal, and then he won't eat till there's meat in his bowl again. They all get fed twice a day.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505378 by Ruth
Canned worms. There's a thought ...

More
9 years 1 month ago #505379 by terralee
Fresh meat cut up twice a day,morning and afternoon, :D

Nightime they have a pouch of Whiskas Oh So Meaty Casserole with shredded chicken AND a can of Dine Desire Succulent Tuna whitemeat with snapper or Dine Desire Tuna Slices in a light Jus or Dine Desire tuna Flakes and Salmon,AND some Purina One Chicken and Turkey kibbles these are put down to see them through the night grazing[^]

Spoilt Brats ...at least I have found something they will actually eat:rolleyes:

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 1 month ago #505383 by Hawkspur

Ruth;511745 wrote: Canned worms. There's a thought ...

That let the cat out of the bag...

More
9 years 1 month ago #505384 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
I buy the good quality buscuits from the vets, expensive but much cheaper in the long run than the cheap supermarket stuff. Buscuits only after dinner is finished or in the morning.
If the cat turns up her nose, she doesnt get an alternative. Mainly home kill meat with a few other things to give her some variety
I dont buy any Purina now after reading about the fishermen kept as slaves and avoid canned fish for the cat.
Jimbos is often enjoyed by cats, I think actually because it has horse meat in it which they seem to like, but its pretty expensive

More
9 years 1 month ago #505388 by Ruth

Hawkspur;511750 wrote: That let the cat out of the bag...

We just can't be serious around here for five minutes!!!

More
9 years 1 month ago #505393 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
Mainly cheapo cat biscuits except him with a urinary tract problem and he gets the purina stuff. The best and actually pretty cheap cat food I have come across is from countdown, their own make, which is pretty well unprocessed fish. If I had to eat cat food, their stuff would be my choice.

More
9 years 1 month ago #505398 by Stikkibeek
I feed Jimbos in the morning with some biscuits to follow up if they complain of "hunger" and Whiskas pouches at night with biscuits. The Toerag eats scrap such as chop fat and bacon rind but then she also eats flies, cicadas, lizards, mice, birds, and add to that the bread she stole off the bench.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 month ago #505399 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
Rabbits. If your cat can't or is too lazy to catch their own then break out the slug gun :)

Our cat recently died of old age and kidney issues and in his last months the only food that remained popular was rabbits that I bowled for him, and his first choice was always the organs, including the brains.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 1 month ago #505402 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Cat food, what do you feed?
Our cats are boring, cat chow bikkies & occassionally a pouch....maybe once a month

5 month old kitten was getting kitten food but he kept getting into the others food everytime we walked away(growl or stand up & he would leave it until you sat again) so hes on the same as them now

All cats have beautiful shiny coats & are happy
They do like the more expensive brands which they maybe get 1 bag a year

The 5 month old who was found abandoned at 3.5/4wks old is 3.1kgs already!

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds