Kunekune face lesion/fistula

More
9 years 2 months ago #39331 by Robinsons Folly?
So... our Miss Piggy has just been diagnosed with this problem. It started out as a spot with swelling and then when it got to a suitable size, it burst and a whole lot of unpleasantness came out and once it cleared, there was a sizeable hole. In the past couple of days after looking nice and clear, it had become worse again and closed up with further green discharges, so I got the vet back again. This time it was one of the senior partners and he diagnosed that it is due to impaction of food in the cheek combined with an abnormality in the jaw. I wonder if this is genetic.

He said he had read about it in the NZ Veterinary Journal and so I went off to find it. For anyone who has had the same problem you might find it interesting.

Link here: www.sciquest.org.nz/node/81268

Unless you have a subscription, you will only be able to read the abstract which is essentially a summary of the findings of the paper.

I note that back in 2008/09 someone on here else had the same problem, and I am not sure if things turned out ok, but I think essentially, it is not curable and while it may come and go in cycles as things clog up, it will get to the point where we will need to make the ultimate decision.

Has anyone else more recently had issues with this?

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #503876 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Kunekune face lesion/fistula
Pumpkingirl's pig had that problem, didn't it? It sounded disgusting.

More
9 years 2 months ago #503884 by Andrea1
There was a piece about this in one of the NZKA newsletters quite a while back. They wanted info/experiences from people whose pigs were having this issue, as it appears to be genetic. Not common, but does come up now and again. You might like to contact the Association via its website, and see what they have to say about it. I can't remember what the outcome was.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds