Everyone gearing up for the storm coming on Monday?

More
9 years 1 month ago #503964 by MurrayR
On Christmas day 1984 (or 85) a tornado passed over our house at Cockle Bay and a number of our neighbours lost roof tiles. We were looking after a neighbours house and when I went to check inside found the ceiling hatch in the hall had lifted off and both toilet bowls were empty. The dislodged tiles were directly above the hatch.
Interestingly all the damaged roofs were in houses that were sealed up, while the occupants were away.
That would seem to give credence to leaving windows open.
I concluded that a severe drop in air pressure had actually sucked air out of the house, rather than the wind blowing things off.
Very scary!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503972 by MurrayR
I have been watching the barometer today. In the 12 hours since 8.00am this morning it has dropped 14 Hpa. It will be interesting to see it at 8.00am tomorrow.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503989 by Stikkibeek
Been raining here steadily but not heavily since 4.30. Wind is just starting to get up and have heard a few gusts rattling the tin fence. I think Auckland will have the worst of it about 12am.
OH harrowed the horse paddocks today, so that all the manure will be broken down with the rain. There was a cloud of dust following him around the paddock. We welcome the rain at least.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 month ago #503993 by muri

kai;510164 wrote: The only major difference is that tornadoes are called that because they start overland, cyclones start at sea. It is just nomenclature. It was; certainly to begin with; a pattern like a tornado.

Not sure where you got that info from but the only tornado I have seen the aftermath from was in whenuapai a few years back and it started out at sea and then hit landfall
Below is a definition of each

A cyclone is defined in the dictionary as "an atmospheric system characterized by the rapid inward circulation of air masses about a low-pressure center, usually accompanied by stormy often destructive weather".
A tornado is defined in the dictionary as "a rotating column of air ranging in width from a few yards to more than a mile and whirling at destructively high speeds, usually accompanied by a funnel-shaped downward extension of a cumulonimbus cloud". The wind speeds of tornadoes range from 40 mph to 110 mph, span about 75 m across and can travel a few miles. In extreme cases, tornadoes have also reached a speed of 300 mph.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503995 by Ruth
We've had about 10mm of rain, a few strong gusts, but now just grey and damp. A lucky pass, again.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503996 by seatil
Fair bit of rain overnight, but nothing like previous storms. Some wind, enough to take down a large branch from the tree some of our chooks roost in. Had to get out the tree saw and loppers to be able to get into the chicken paddock this morning. Fortunately no casualties -- most of the tree roosters slept in the coop overnight, and the branch fell in just the right place not to take out fencing.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503998 by Stikkibeek
Some gusts of wind but not as strong as previous normal cold fronts. Still raining steadily and 20ml overnight. It should soak in nicely. Still raining.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504001 by muri
How different from the predictions, no wind in the night and only 20mls.
I hope the east coast gets off as lightly as we have.
20mls does very little really in terms of soaking into the roots of the grass, might just make it but should boost at least some growth

More
9 years 1 month ago #504010 by kai

muri;510210 wrote: Not sure where you got that info from but the only tornado I have seen the aftermath from was in whenuapai a few years back and it started out at sea and then hit landfall
Below is a definition of each

A cyclone is defined in the dictionary as "an atmospheric system characterized by the rapid inward circulation of air masses about a low-pressure center, usually accompanied by stormy often destructive weather".
A tornado is defined in the dictionary as "a rotating column of air ranging in width from a few yards to more than a mile and whirling at destructively high speeds, usually accompanied by a funnel-shaped downward extension of a cumulonimbus cloud". The wind speeds of tornadoes range from 40 mph to 110 mph, span about 75 m across and can travel a few miles. In extreme cases, tornadoes have also reached a speed of 300 mph.

dunno about you, but "rapid inward circulation of air" and "rotating column of air" sound pretty much the same to me.
google is not always ones friend

More
9 years 1 month ago #504011 by Stikkibeek
Cyclones used to be called hurricanes here. Remember one as a kid that was very destructive. it was fashionable for farmers to use macrocarpa for shelter belts then, and due to the shallow root system, there were trees down everywhere long with powerlines. My mother had some great shots of the destruction, but sadly all those slides were lost in the fire. On the Kaikohe side of the Maungamuka gorge, somewhere about where the tung oil plantations used to be was a villa that got blown off its foundations and moved quite a distance. The owners re piled it in the new position and realigned their drive, then repaired those things that got damaged . A testament to how well houses used to be built.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504012 by ahdeek

kai;510164 wrote: The only major difference is that tornadoes are called that because they start overland, cyclones start at sea. It is just nomenclature. It was; certainly to begin with; a pattern like a tornado.

www.diffen.com/difference/Cyclone_vs_Tornado

More
9 years 1 month ago #504017 by Tui Ridge
No wind here, 25ml steady soaking rain overnight, has stopped now :D

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
9 years 1 month ago #504018 by terralee
We got 17 mls ...some wind and thankfully nothing like it was predicted ...would rather be prepared and not need to be ...than to need to be and not be prepared:confused:
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 1 month ago #504019 by Baroque

seatil;510154 wrote: Yup. They've got a 14 foot trampoline. Picked it up second hand off trademe for not very much.

It gives them somewhere to lounge around and get themselves (and their hooves) off the ground. It's very popular with the kids. Less so with grumpy momma goat who after finally plucking up the courage to jump up discovered that it bounced and ended up unceremoniously falling over. :D

I LOVE the idea of a goat trampoline! Then they would have another way of getting over my fences!

I did the musical animal routine here yesterday too, there are only a limited number of places I can put the mares so they don't fight over / through the fences, and of course I can't put our stallion and his big mate anywhere close to the mares for obvious reasons.... :rolleyes:

Everything loose was tied down and/or moved to safe places so this morning it didn't look too bad.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
9 years 1 month ago #504167 by ahdeek

catherinelee33;510137 wrote: Goat trampoline???

and here a photo of it after the storm

Attached files
File Attachment:

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds