Everyone gearing up for the storm coming on Monday?

More
9 years 1 month ago #39329 by Inger
The Engineer is trying to get a hillside finished on his spraying schedule, before the rain arrives and I'd like to get the herd off the river paddock and treated for ticks and wormed, then moved onto a hill paddock over the weekend. So there's a shuffling around of things to do BEFORE the rain arrives and what can wait until later.

As with any block of land, I have to play musical animals, in order to get the breeding herd to the paddock I want them in, because at the moment, the bulls are in the way and I also want to treat the bulls for parasites as well as give them a booster shot for BVD, before I put them away in their part of the farm for winter. At least the sheep are all sorted at the moment. :)

The East Coast of the North Island is due to get hit the worst. They're looking at a possible cyclone Bola type of event. We should miss the worst of it up here, but we could do with the rain. It's just the wind I could really do without. We've got enough fallen trees to chop up for firewood already!

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503855 by Stikkibeek
Now they are predicting gales from the SE, it's not so pleasing news for us as we are a bit exposed from that quarter.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 month ago #503863 by kb
I've been watching progress closely and lets hope it loses some force and moves out to the east of NZ sooner than later. Hasn't even reached Vanuatu yet, although they are already getting a hammering. They are predicting winds up to 160km/h for them over night, with wind reaching 280km/h at storms centre which is out to sea.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503870 by seatil
We've only just reconstructed the walk-in chicken run that got converted into flat pack in last July's storm. I guess we will find out if we've done a better job of it this time around soon enough...

Got a fair bit of work to do tomorrow morning to get broody coops moved to more sheltered spots, and other shelters turned around so the storm winds don't just march in there. Oh, and secure the goats' trampoline.

Will be interesting to see the responses of the various poultry that have never really experienced wind to the storm. I'm expecting the turkeys in particular to have "fun".

More
9 years 1 month ago #503871 by Ruth

Inger;510048 wrote: ...As with any block of land, I have to play musical animals, ...

Nope, not any. :D Some have lanes, lots of lovely lanes! [8D]

More
9 years 1 month ago #503932 by catherinelee33
Goat trampoline???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More
9 years 1 month ago #503937 by muri
Just come back from the Kumeu show, a lot of people already holding on to flimsy tents and coverings that arent going to last the day.
Wind is up here and fairly consistently strong
They are now saying the winds on vanuatu were over 300km per hour!

More
9 years 1 month ago #503947 by seatil

catherinelee33;510137 wrote: Goat trampoline???

Yup. They've got a 14 foot trampoline. Picked it up second hand off trademe for not very much.

It gives them somewhere to lounge around and get themselves (and their hooves) off the ground. It's very popular with the kids. Less so with grumpy momma goat who after finally plucking up the courage to jump up discovered that it bounced and ended up unceremoniously falling over. :D

More
9 years 1 month ago #503948 by terralee
Checkout this ...you can check how it will be at your place.

www.windyty.com/?-39.592,174.283,4

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 1 month ago #503949 by Ruth
Well we've just got the power back on, which is lovely. Today is the second major outage for maintenance here this summer. I wouldn't want to have been one of the crew working in today's winds and now starting rain. I guess they really wanted to repair the falling-over pylon before there was a big blow or rain.

We may not get much of this storm, but we're getting things up out of flood regions and moving things which might blow over, around or away.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503951 by muri
A tip that I read somewhere, if you are getting the full brunt of this wind, open the windows on the side of the house away from the wind as it relieves the pressure on your roof so it wont blow off.
They are now saying 130km winds here and last time we had easterlies here a lot did lose their roof
Have just pulled a wooden bench out of the fish pond, I thought I had put everything away that I could

More
9 years 1 month ago #503953 by kindajojo

muri;510158 wrote: A tip that I read somewhere, if you are getting the full brunt of this wind, open the windows on the side of the house away from the wind as it relieves the pressure on your roof so it wont blow off.
They are now saying 130km winds here and last time we had easterlies here a lot did lose their roof
Have just pulled a wooden bench out of the fish pond, I thought I had put everything away that I could

I think that one was debunked for tornadoes in the US..opening windows and doors does not keep the roof on...
But do chain down anything that may get blown away, turn trampolines upside down, I hate flying correlated iron...lost a horse from it....

More
9 years 1 month ago #503954 by Cigar
Mythbusters did a thing on opening windows, etc. From memory I think it did make a very small difference, but the collateral damage from rain getting in and stuff inside blowing around made it worse overall.
It's only a bit breezy here at the moment, but I'm going out soon to move any loose stuff into the shed - easier now than in the dark/rain/gales!

More
9 years 1 month ago #503956 by muri

kindajojo;510160 wrote: I think that one was debunked for tornadoes in the US..opening windows and doors does not keep the roof on...
But do chain down anything that may get blown away, turn trampolines upside down, I hate flying correlated iron...lost a horse from it....

But the point is is that this is not a tornado and it a very different wind pattern in a cyclone.
Last time we had 130km winds from the east like this I opened windows on the west and it made a huge difference, we were feeling the house lift slightly with some of the wind. Once we opened the windows it stopped.
If you open away from the wind and rain then no rain comes in
Nothing will stop a tornado ripping off a roof, its a very concentrated and powerful wind over a very small area, same as being in the eye of a cyclone I would imagine

More
9 years 1 month ago #503957 by kai

muri;510163 wrote: But the point is is that this is not a tornado and it a very different wind pattern in a cyclone.

The only major difference is that tornadoes are called that because they start overland, cyclones start at sea. It is just nomenclature. It was; certainly to begin with; a pattern like a tornado.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds