Ride on mower options

More
9 years 1 month ago #39310 by keeshhira
Hi, i'm looking for some feedback / info re ride-on mowers. I need to buy one for our lifestyle block. 1 acre around the house, nice and flat + 3 acres of paddock (looked after by sheep, but will need topping off), with a slight slope. I've seen the Rover 20/42, Cub Cadet LTX1042 , Husqvarna TH2242 and MTD 20/42. I've heard MTD are not good. Haven't seen a John Deere yet. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503714 by fishandchips
Replied by fishandchips on topic Ride on mower options
I have a Husqvarna www.husqvarna.com/nz/products/garden-tractors/cth2642tr/ which I use for mowing lawns but would not use it topping paddocks. It works well on the lawn but long tough grass makes it stall a bit.

My brother has a Walker www.omcpowerequipment.co.nz/shop/Ride+On...ch+Walker+Mower.html and it is great, the blades are run but hydralics and not belts. It chews through everything. When I need to replace my mower I would get a Walker. I would use this to top paddocks as it will not chew belts.

My folks have had John Deere, Husqvarna, Countax.

If you have other questions just ask.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503754 by mc2631
Replied by mc2631 on topic Ride on mower options
I've got a husqvarna nothing but problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
9 years 1 month ago #503756 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Ride on mower options
I bought one for my SOH for Xmas.......he constantly moaned about me mowing the lawns with the tractor and slasher deck...
I did some research and basically
Husquevana ....not great reliability and difficult to get parts and repair
Stay away from anything sold by Bunnings and mitre 10
Stay away from anythiing Chinese as not designed for nz conditions
Metal deck unless you have bowling green lawns
The biggest killer is leaving wet grass under the deck..so cleaning is required so get ones withe the hose cleaning points
Briggs and Stratton motor .....
To catch or not to catch...the catcher adds another few $$$ to the price and you need to get a mower with a good throw.....
Buy from a dealer that will also do the service ....ie a proper lawn mower supplier.

More
9 years 1 month ago #503758 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic Ride on mower options
Picking a ride-on-mower that will handle the flat acre around the house is trivial, almost any machine from any brand will do that quite happily. It's the 3 acres of paddock that will be the problem.

I have a 'parallel imported' Craftsman ride-on, I believe this is made by MTD and has served me very well so far. I have one neighbour with a MTD and another with a John Deere, they all seem to be much the same thing.

Being parallel imported meant that my 22HP 48" cut Craftsman cost me as much as a Mitre10 model of half the size and HP. But, of course I'm relying on myself if it needs any work.

As others have said, whatever you buy, keep it sharp, keep it clean, keep it serviced and keep it dry and most mowers will give you long service.

If I had all the money in the world, I would certainly be looking at a Grillo Climber though. My place has a few hills that I do on my standard ride-on, but they get a bit dicey sometimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob_McInnes

More
9 years 1 month ago #503772 by wilsontour
Replied by wilsontour on topic Ride on mower options
Countax c800H is what we have. British made so a bit pricey but very good. We have about 2 acres of lawn/orchard so it gets plenty of work. It has a powered catcher/roller so does a very tidy job. Triple blade mowing deck, all steel.

See:

www.steelfort.co.nz/products/brand/48

More
9 years 1 month ago #503783 by keeshhira
Replied by keeshhira on topic Ride on mower options
Thanks for all the advice. I have decided Husqvarna is out, MTD is out. This one is looking like 1st pick at the moment. www.steelfort.co.nz/products/lawn-and-ga...on-mowers/product/84

More
9 years 1 month ago #503789 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Ride on mower options
I would go for a second hand Countax, it will pick up grass and leaves, leave a nice striped finish. Too expensive to buy new though - there are several on TradeMe from $1,200. You can easily remove the catcher and brushes, and it will tow a normal size trailer easily.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #503865 by kb
Replied by kb on topic Ride on mower options

mc2631;509933 wrote: I've got a husqvarna nothing but problems

I'd be interested to know what model and what problems you have experienced?

More
9 years 1 month ago #503933 by catherinelee33
I have a John Deere bought second hand from the vendors of my property four weeks ago. Just learning how to use it. What looks like a flat lawn has some sloping bits when you're on a machine. And the instruction book (yes I read it!) has about ten pages of safety warnings at the front about how it can sever limbs etc which is a bit scary...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds