Bee swarms

More
9 years 2 months ago #39180 by kai
Bee swarms was created by kai
I am getting fed up of them, today the fourth swarm since xmas day has turned up and taken up residence.
A friend is dealing with them, but surely this has to be unusual to have so many swarms in one year. I had never even seen one before this summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502532 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Bee swarms
Something will be attracting them, Feel free to send some down here. I'm wanting a swarm to repopulate my hive but they are few and far between

More
9 years 2 months ago #502536 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Bee swarms
A swarm doesn't usually stay unless a home is available, they usually move on. Maybe the weather has increased the chances of more swarms.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502542 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Bee swarms
I am told there are a lot of hives 1km up the road the suspicion is that someone is not taking care of their hives.
They have made themselves a cluster each time they have arrived.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502550 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Bee swarms

kai;508573 wrote: I am told there are a lot of hives 1km up the road the suspicion is that someone is not taking care of their hives.
They have made themselves a cluster each time they have arrived.

Gosh at the price of honey this season, that would be surprising. A 2nd not so good season in a row.
It usually means very healthy full hives.
They form a cluster because they are protecting the queen, while the scout heads off and look for a new nesting site.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502590 by mc2631
Replied by mc2631 on topic Bee swarms
Why don't you catch it in a hive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
9 years 2 months ago #502591 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Bee swarms
I don't keep bees and I don't want to. I don't like or use honey.

It is not too difficult to find someone to come and take them away, it is just a pain in the neck to have 4 lots in two months to get rid of.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502600 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Bee swarms
Could be a business opportunity if they keep coming :-)

Make some cheap hives, catch the swarm, sell them on trade-me or in the local paper. If the buyer doesn't have the legal training to have a hive, refer them for lessons to a local who'll give it to them at a commission perhaps. Sell the experience of catching a wild swarm, put people on a waiting list. Don't even have to have the bees around long going that way.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds