Pressure Canner advice

More
9 years 2 months ago #39116 by carlyjean
Hi
I was looking for some feedback on pressure canners. Just hoping to get into canning more food this year (we are off the grid and power is very precious- so wanted to can foods that I can't fit into our very limited fridge space, at this stage we don't have a freezer either). Has anyone had good and or bad experiences with certain models.
Any advice will be very much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502024 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Pressure Canner advice
By "canning" are you using the American terminology meaning "Bottling" ie preserving in glass jars, or do you mean the real canning, ie in tins?

If you mean bottling, I find the overflow method a lot less time consuming, you can do more jars at the same time and just as easy. Agee jars with Perfit seals need to be tipped upside down after you tighten the screw bands as the modern perfit is not as solid as the old agee seals used to be. This means any air trapped inside will not be hanging around the lid and you are more likely to get an airtight seal.

There are lots of different pressure cookers around now. I suggest you choose based on number of jars you can fit and the type of jars you use, does it have a trivet to keep the jars off the bottom, good manual to help with cooking times and pressure, good guarantee etc. Are there parts available (rubber seals) if used those kinds of issues.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 2 months ago #502026 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Pressure Canner advice
We had a brief but frustrating experience with getting a big pressure canner in from the USA through Fishpond NZ. We ordered the All American 941 (41 litre) pressure canner and waited.
What arrived was a smaller 30 litre pressure canner. On unpacking it we found it had been packed carefully, BUT... all the top protection put in place was of no use as the big pot had been packaged upside down! The base was well protected but unfortunately, the top/ handles were damaged.
That was the end of our pressure canning venture, but not the end of the hassle of returning the pot to sender and getting a refund. We would have been happy to get the pot we ordered but Fishpond didnt have a 41 litre pressure canner to send us. We were refunded in full, but currently have not pursued importing another pressure canner into New Zealand.
One day we will give it another go, as it is the best way of preserving the non acidic foods such as vegetables if you are not freezing or drying them.

The All American pressure canner is supposed to be the best you can get. It is aluminium, heavy and comes in various sizes.
www.allamericancanner.com/allamerican941pressurecanner.htm

This website gives a comparison between the All American and Presto:
www.canadianpreppersnetwork.com/2013/03/...pressure-canner.html

An Australian website:with the Presto
www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/pressurepreserving.html

A great American website with information on pressure canning:
www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/pressu...ng-zm0z13jjzrob.aspx

For now, I'm looking forward to my 4 week trip to Australia, going through my stuff there and bringing back the 9 litre Italian pressure cooker and good stainless steel cookware.

There is a difference between a "pressure canner" and a "pressure cooker"...

On a different method of preserving food... drying... the 9 shelf, "Excalibur" drier is excellent, top of its class. It does take a lot of power to dry the food though.

Have you looked into the "water bath" and "overflow" methods of bottling?

We are setting up our place with solar power and husband has promised he will build me a large solar drier.

Hope you can get your pressure canning underway soon.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502033 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Pressure Canner advice
I've done a university degree which involved canning (B Technology (Food Technology), Massey University graduated 1979). Although only a couple of cases of the botulism dangerous to adult humans has happened in NZ, in my opinion canning low acid foods like meat, stews, vegetable including spaghetti in tomatoes, and fish is far too dangerous to do at home, be it by canning or by the overflow method of bottling.
Buying a freezer and a solar power unit may be far more beneficial in the medium term, rather than the expense of safely processing low acid foods..

More
9 years 2 months ago #502035 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Pressure Canner advice

Belle Bosse;507978 wrote:

We are setting up our place with solar power and husband has promised he will build me a large solar drier.

I happen to have one for sale at the moment, should you or anyone you know be heading in this direction.
I made it last year with all good intentions of using it, then decided this year I probably would stick to my small electric one and freeze most of the excess.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502048 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Pressure Canner advice
Ozfarmers.com have pressure canners for sale and ship to NZ. I had to google the difference between cookers and canners and it seems to come down to size . Pressure cookers are generally smaller and heat up and cool down too quickly so the food does not get processed enough. A shame as I was planning to bottle in my pressure cooker [:(!] Its probably still safe to do so for medium acid things and I can always try it out on DH to see if its alright [}:)]

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 2 months ago #502075 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Pressure Canner advice

LongRidge;507989 wrote: I've done a university degree which involved canning (B Technology (Food Technology), Massey University graduated 1979). Although only a couple of cases of the botulism dangerous to adult humans has happened in NZ, in my opinion canning low acid foods like meat, stews, vegetable including spaghetti in tomatoes, and fish is far too dangerous to do at home, be it by canning or by the overflow method of bottling.
Buying a freezer and a solar power unit may be far more beneficial in the medium term, rather than the expense of safely processing low acid foods..

makes me wonder how most of Northern Europe has not succumbed to botulism in the 19th century before the advent of the freezer.

Longridge, i respect the fact that you mean well and you're repeating what you've been taught. i also agree that it is not for the novice and should not be propagated over the internet or a youtube video.

However, I have seen the bottling of tomato, vegetables, meat and fish in action and tasted the results. I disagree with the wholesale attitude of 'it's too dangerous and should not be done'.

its a viable option of preserving food without the aid of power, under the proviso that the person making it is aware of the correct process and the possible consequences if that process is not followed.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 2 months ago #502077 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic Pressure Canner advice
Yep, I canned a few bottles of chicken with my pressure canner, basically following the instruction in the canner manual and also youtube videos. Total no-brainer, you just have to keep an eye on the pressure gauge and follow the instructions.

I think you would need a real pressure gauge to do the canning, so a regular pressure cooker probably won't do, you also wouldn't be able to fit many bottles in.

I bought my canner straight off ebay and had it shipped here, bought two actually and sold one on TM that covered most of the cost for both. It was just one of the cheaper twist top ones, but haven't had any problems with it.

As far as botulism goes, never ever eat anything that doesn't look and smell 100% . I'm sure I read an article a week or so back about a Japanese tourist here that contracted botulism from eating one of those instant rice packets.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502078 by kernels
Had a quick look, brand on mine is 'Presto'

More
9 years 2 months ago #502081 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Pressure Canner advice

Anakei;508006 wrote: Ozfarmers.com have pressure canners for sale and ship to NZ.

Anakei,
Thanks for this lead.
Have looked up their website and it looks promising. Have it bookmarked for future reference. :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #502085 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Pressure Canner advice
Blueberry, it is rather a case of "how lucky do you feel?". I could walk across a motorway with my eyes closed and not get injured. I would guess there would be one chance in 1000 of someone wanting a dent in their car by hitting me. But I don't because it is too risky for me to be bothered with.
With wearing helmets, that is just plain stupid. If I have an injury bad enough for the helmet to help me, my body will still be injured, so I may as well have got all the pain over and done with, and died.
There are enough deaths from botulism in Europe and USA every year for it to be a major health concern, with a couple of hundred people on average dying. Because you have not had a problem yet only means that you are lucky. It does not mean that there is no risk. As far as I'm concerned, low acid canning and bottling is too dangerous for me. And with my luck, my loved ones would die and I would be left alive.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502089 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Pressure Canner advice

kernels;508038 wrote: Had a quick look, brand on mine is 'Presto'

My very old pressure cooker is a presto. Still have the old book and it does cover pressure canning (bottling)

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 2 months ago #502092 by kernels

LongRidge;508045 wrote: Blueberry, it is rather a case of "how lucky do you feel?". I could walk across a motorway with my eyes closed and not get injured. I would guess there would be one chance in 1000 of someone wanting a dent in their car by hitting me. But I don't because it is too risky for me to be bothered with.
With wearing helmets, that is just plain stupid. If I have an injury bad enough for the helmet to help me, my body will still be injured, so I may as well have got all the pain over and done with, and died.
There are enough deaths from botulism in Europe and USA every year for it to be a major health concern, with a couple of hundred people on average dying. Because you have not had a problem yet only means that you are lucky. It does not mean that there is no risk. As far as I'm concerned, low acid canning and bottling is too dangerous for me. And with my luck, my loved ones would die and I would be left alive.

Actually it's only about 20 people a year that are infected with food-borne botulism in the states every year. By comparison, hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people in the states die annually due to various foodborne illnesses.

I would think that in a large number of these cases it is just Darwinism at work. I quote from the article below: "Strang ate it despite noticing its "blue cheese" smell."

www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/65620530...uts-down-mans-organs

As before, if it doesn't look and smell 100%, DON'T EAT IT!

More
9 years 2 months ago #502093 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Pressure Canner advice
Maybe not a Darwin Award winner but that man definitely deserves an honourable mention.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502126 by Remrem
Replied by Remrem on topic Pressure Canner advice
Snap Longbridge, I have the same degree as you as well as the Approved Person for low acid food canning qual. After working in several canning factories as quality manager the thought of doing it without the checks and balances would scare me. Hopefully all YouTube instructions build in a good safety margin.

Farming on The Main Drag in the Rangitikei since Feb 2013

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds