Moving to Kotemaori in Wairoa district?

More
9 years 2 months ago #39100 by ruthie_rufus
Does anybody live there or close by in the Wairoa district?
Pros/cons?
There's some great properties at reasonable prices :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501892 by spark
Hi,

I understand that Wairoa district is economically depressed. Relative to the rest of NZ, there is quite a high proportion of poorly educated, low skilled, under- or unemployed people in the region. The region also has a rather high (by NZ standards) crime rate. Generally, the further north you head from Napier, the worse the situation gets.

Gisborne isn't so bad though - better employment prospects there than in Wairoa.

Cheers

More
9 years 2 months ago #501896 by Kalmara
As Spark said.
Very isolated. A bit closer to Wairoa than Napier. No corner shop :) So plan on an hours drive to a supermarket/chemist/doctor/vet/fuel/etc. There is a small local school for primary kids. High school kids would need to board in town.
One bus north & one bus south daily, so would mean an overnight stay in Wairoa or Napier if using the bus for transport.
Not much in the way of employment.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501897 by ruthie_rufus
Thanks, Yeah we're not planning on looking for employment in the area. We're looking at areas in which we can start a self sustainable property, isolation for us isnt too much of an issue, or though crime rates are... I know there's a police station there.
I guess thats why its cheaper there. Still we do like the properties

More
9 years 2 months ago #501898 by Kalmara
There isn't a police station. Although the sign could well be still there ! Once upon a time there was a local policeman that lived in what was called the "police house" at Kotemaori.
Nearest police station would be Wairoa or Bay View.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501913 by ruthie_rufus
Ohok, yeah it was just the sign we saw.
Thanks ��

More
9 years 2 months ago #501943 by mc2631
All I know is that it's full of gang members and at the same time a nice rural community

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
9 years 2 months ago #501990 by LongRidge
rythie, you get what you pay for :-((. The land up there is rather unfertile for growing plants other than native forest, and perhaps pine trees. To change the fertility to grow crops or pasture needs different fertility than what is there now. Thus lots of the correct chemicals (either "organic" or artificial) is likely to be needed to make a small area self sufficient. Personally I think that if you are adding natural fertilisers like seaweed, animal poo, etc, they are artificial to that environment, so you may as well use proven artificial fertilisers, and week killers. And these will cost a bit more to obtain in an out of the way place.
But for the style, it would be high on my list of places.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502009 by lisaeve
Have done a little bit of work in the area and agree with all of what's been said above. You might want to try contacting Kay Baxter/Bob Corker @ Koanga as they moved their set up to Wairoa a few years back. I think one of the factors in the decision was also land price, but I assume they would also have considered soil types, growing climate etc.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds