Buying water

More
9 years 3 months ago #501860 by Webby
Replied by Webby on topic Buying water

smudge;507789 wrote: It's the per litre rate I'm trying to determine, leaving the water truck out as neither of us need a water truck, it's just pumped out of the ground.

But remember there is power and is there any agreement with you if the pump needs repaired????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501861 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Buying water
When I took over this place, the pump to bring water from the lake was on a separate electricity account and not the house account. My neighbour has the same and you have to pay commercial electricity charges on the second electricity account which had a fixed daily charge that was double the domestic rate. It made for very expensive water for the animals
So you need to establish what it is costing him electricity wise as well.
Using the costs of getting a tanker of water is probably a good base line, even tho you are not getting in water this way, but this is what it would cost you per litre if you were to buy it in. Buying by tanker would be the alternative and that would probably be the rate I would be paying myself

More
9 years 3 months ago #501863 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Buying water
The cost of the truck will be about $100 (assuming a 60 minutes turn-around), the 15,000 L of water will cost about $80 before profit. So the water costs about 0.53 cents per litre. If you are paying by invoice, add 50% taxes to this so 0.80 cents per litre.
Thus $5.30 per 1000 Litres if no paperwork is involved, $8.00 per 1000 L if a GST invoice is involved.
NB more or less. however generous you feel, because when buying and selling it all becomes a matter of how much you expect.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501868 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Buying water

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 3 months ago #501870 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Buying water

smudge;507789 wrote: It's the per litre rate I'm trying to determine, leaving the water truck out as neither of us need a water truck, it's just pumped out of the ground.

Wasn't actually suggesting you get in a water truck. I was using it by way of reference for the cost!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 3 months ago #501871 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Buying water
If they are collecting it from the roof, why don't you? Surely for the cost of new guttering it has to be more cost effective.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501887 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Buying water

LongRidge;507796 wrote: The cost of the truck will be about $100 (assuming a 60 minutes turn-around), the 15,000 L of water will cost about $80 before profit. So the water costs about 0.53 cents per litre. If you are paying by invoice, add 50% taxes to this so 0.80 cents per litre.
Thus $53 per 1000 Litres if no paperwork is involved, $80 per 1000 L if a GST invoice is involved.
NB more or less. however generous you feel, because when buying and selling it all becomes a matter of how much you expect.

Bugger that! Our septic system is based on water use of 1000L per day (4 bedroom house), but even with the stock water coming from the house supply we only use about half that amount, but that would still be $26.50 per day for water, that's $800 a month!

Having another look, I think you've moved a decimal point, 1000 litres at 0.53 cents per litre is 530 cents ($5.30, not $53).

More
9 years 3 months ago #501888 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Buying water

kai;507804 wrote: If they are collecting it from the roof, why don't you? Surely for the cost of new guttering it has to be more cost effective.

Kai, yes we collect from the roof and so do they. It works up until February. Then both of us require the bore pump to keep up.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501889 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Buying water
Cigar, very true. I've altered my calculation error.
smudge, we have 90,000 L of stored water. We would need less if the tanks had mid-point (rather than only out the bottom of the tank) take-off. Any leaks would not leak out as much if we had those.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501899 by MurrayR
Replied by MurrayR on topic Buying water
We are one of five LSB's that has water reticulated from a bore on one of the properties.
The water is metered and the "Right and Cost" is on our property titles.
The water is high in iron and non potable. The agreement is that it is for stock use only however most also use it for gardens.
The cost relates to the nearest town supply, which is Pokeno/Tuakau and is currently $2.84 per cubic meter (1000 litres)
While this is expensive it means our roof supply (with 46000 litres storage) gets us through the driest summers. This is the driest and we still have 50%.
For the past year I gave been filling our troughs from the house supply, however I have to manage this very carefully, on a daily basis, as the pump has no pressure reserve and will run almost constantly for a few seconds a time as each cow takes a lick.
If we go away I run the feed from the bore supply.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501955 by Cigar

MurrayR;507835 wrote:
For the past year I gave been filling our troughs from the house supply, however I have to manage this very carefully, on a daily basis, as the pump has no pressure reserve and will run almost constantly for a few seconds a time as each cow takes a lick.

We used to have the same problem, so I changed the trough ballcocks to full-flow versions. It works much better, as the water flows in fast then shuts off, rather than the gradually slowing trickle as the trough refills with the standard ballcocks - much less running time for the pump.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501978 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Buying water
Not directly applicable, but we pay our neighbours 2x what they pay per unit of power for the very small amount of power we occasionally steal off their bore pump. To say 'thanks' and to make up for all their hidden costs and to ensure continuity of supply ;-)

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
9 years 3 months ago #502020 by wilsontour
Replied by wilsontour on topic Buying water

Cigar;507898 wrote: We used to have the same problem, so I changed the trough ballcocks to full-flow versions. It works much better, as the water flows in fast then shuts off, rather than the gradually slowing trickle as the trough refills with the standard ballcocks - much less running time for the pump.

What brand do you recommend Cigar? Sounds like what we need. How do these work as I'm trying to picture the difference between standard ballcocks and full-flow.
cheers:confused:

More
9 years 3 months ago #502045 by Cigar

wilsontour;507972 wrote: What brand do you recommend Cigar? Sounds like what we need. How do these work as I'm trying to picture the difference between standard ballcocks and full-flow.
cheers:confused:

We just got the ones that were on special at RD1 and fitted our troughs, the brand might have been Apex?
I think they have a valve in them, they don't start flowing until the trough drops a bit, then they flow at full noise until they reach the cutoff level and then shut off completely.

More
9 years 3 months ago #502073 by MurrayR
Replied by MurrayR on topic Buying water
Thanks Cigar.

Will check out the "Full Flow" units when next at RD1.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds