Buying water

More
9 years 3 months ago #39098 by smudge
Buying water was created by smudge
We have an agreement with our neighbour to get water from them. Their tanks are filled from their roof and can also be filled by a bore pump. It is a 1kw bore pump.

When we use their water, we siphon it from their two tanks. What is a fair and reasonable price for that water? I'm keen to hear your views, especially from others with a similar arrangement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501842 by Go Kaz
Replied by Go Kaz on topic Buying water
Whats the current going rate of water if you are on the public system in Auckland?? Somewhere around the $1.30ish a cubic meter? no idea what the cubic rate is if you have to buy a tanker load?

Maybe something not far below the public water cost?

More
9 years 3 months ago #501843 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Buying water
GoKaZ, watercares water rates [which are really outrageous] is totally different to what it costs by the tanker. I thought it was something like $100+ for a tanker load

More
9 years 3 months ago #501845 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Buying water
A cubic metre is 1000 litres. If you can score that out in the boondocks for $1.30, you're doing very well.
A truckload is around 15,000 litres (i.e., 15 cubic metres) and costs around the $350 mark: if the $1.30 figure is correct, rural water is therefore about 23 times as expensive as in the city.
Good luck!

• Cherry
9 years 3 months ago #501846 by Cherry
Replied by Cherry on topic Buying water
We have had two loads of water in the last 2 months. 14000 ltrs at $240 each

More
9 years 3 months ago #501847 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Buying water
Yes I understand tankers are expensive. I'm looking for what is fair and resonable to buy water supplied from a neighbour via a bore pump. Preferably a rate per cubic meter (1000 l as already pointed out by Alan).

Naturally a truck will cost more for several reasons:

The size of the truck
The distance traveled
The amount of water supplied

More
9 years 3 months ago #501848 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Buying water
Last summer we paid $160 for 10,000 L. $160-180 is standard around here.

No idea the cost this summer - we haven't needed any yet.

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
9 years 3 months ago #501849 by smudge
Tui was that from a tanker or a bore?

More
9 years 3 months ago #501850 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Buying water
wow - water here is $410 a 14,000 tanker full. Council charges $1.84 per cubic metre over our allowance

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 3 months ago #501852 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic Buying water
Tanker, but he fills his tanker from a bore. Most of the other suppliers use a town water link so have to pay commercial council rates for the water. Im guessing the guy we use would have to pay for a commercial bore as well. (But the water is nicer [;)] ).

But thats $16 for 1000 L isn't it? Might be a base rate to consider.

(Oh and he doesn't charge us mileage cause he's just down the road [^])

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

More
9 years 3 months ago #501853 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Buying water
We are on the Waikato District trickle water system, I think we pay $1.35 + GST per cube for what we use. But we also pay a fixed amount per annum for being on the system (I think it is either $300 or $600) whether we use any water or not.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501854 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Buying water
We bought a tanker loaad of water during the summer last year. it was $150 for the full load and he got it directly from the filters in Creighton road, Papakura. Don't know for sure the size of the house tank, but think it is an old 3000 gallon tank.
I would say, that if you want to pay a fair price to your neighbour, then discuss the per litre rate for your area. You could deduct gst and discharge and then offer him something towards the power he will use to lift water from his bore.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 3 months ago #501856 by smudge

Stikkibeek;507787 wrote:
I would say, that if you want to pay a fair price to your neighbour, then discuss the per litre rate for your area. You could deduct gst and discharge and then offer him something towards the power he will use to lift water from his bore.

It's the per litre rate I'm trying to determine, leaving the water truck out as neither of us need a water truck, it's just pumped out of the ground.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501858 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Buying water
Friend has arrangement where by he takes the % of his land v the suppliers land area..

Say for example 10% and then pays that % of the costs of the water supply...ie electricity, repairs and maintenance.....supply costs.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501859 by Webby
Replied by Webby on topic Buying water
I would make sure that it would be a little bit more than fair as stated below there are on-going costs of having a bore and I know when we shared ours the real estate agent said that this was the biggest area for disputes. I know you're probably only using it at extreme times but this is a luxury that you have and very good neighbours that will share with you so to pay more than what would be fair would be good to show your appreciation, but how you come up with what is fair well as far as the comments go it really looks varied but I personally would be going for the more expensive one. good luck and hope we all get some rain soon

kindajojo;507791 wrote: Friend has arrangement where by he takes the % of his land v the suppliers land area..

Say for example 10% and then pays that % of the costs of the water supply...ie electricity, repairs and maintenance.....supply costs.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds