It's a bit dry

More
9 years 3 months ago #501960 by Tui Ridge
Replied by Tui Ridge on topic It's a bit dry
We've had 9mls in the last 30 days (official at manukau / airport) until yesterday.

Had 4ml yesterday and 2ml this morning, rain has just started again and all the weather websites etc i've checked show us getting more rain tonight and tomorrow - slow and steady and plenty of it would be good!

Me and hubby and 2 boys, Alpacas, Arapawa sheep, Lowline cattle, lots and lots of chooks and ducks ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501961 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic It's a bit dry
When you've finished with it, can you send it down here? We've had a few mms this week but I did a bit of digging yesterday to put in a new trough and the soil was dry as a bone.

hilldweller

More
9 years 3 months ago #501962 by RayH
Replied by RayH on topic It's a bit dry
awesome lot of rain still soaking in , tank full, pool full and my garden tanks full, now hosing extra water into my little pond that had dried up yay ! cant wait for the green grass now and my garden will make it

More
9 years 3 months ago #501971 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic It's a bit dry
The tiny amount of rain we had has not got through the vegetation to the ground. The clay is so hard we gave up on the post hole borer - it was wearing down the blade and just leaving a polished circle of clay. Resorted to the crow bar instead.[B)]

More
9 years 3 months ago #501973 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic It's a bit dry
We have had 12 mls overnight ...but it is fine again for now ...good for feed here but the ground was starting to crack a bit so very welcome to freshen things up ...hopefully a bit more to come yet :)
Summer rain is the best [^]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 3 months ago #501974 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic It's a bit dry
Well that was 37mm for us, lovely apart from the fact the facial eczema spores will take off now, so better up the zinc water treatment to full strength now.
The second driest January since we started recording in 2000. I do remember a hot dry summer in 1969/70 but no idea about the rainfall!

Our Jan average is 92.5mm, in 2001 we had 15mm, in 2008 we had 195mm, most of it falling over 2 days and this year we had 17.5mm,most of which fell the first week in Jan.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501975 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic It's a bit dry

Hawkspur;507917 wrote: The tiny amount of rain we had has not got through the vegetation to the ground. The clay is so hard we gave up on the post hole borer - it was wearing down the blade and just leaving a polished circle of clay. Resorted to the crow bar instead.[B)]

We replaced a post in the yards yesterday and had to pour a bucket of water down it to get the post hole borer to cut in.

Kai wrote: 25mm and still raining.
[hr]Lucky you. We've only had 4 ml since yesterday morning.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 3 months ago #501976 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic It's a bit dry
Our Jan average is 82.9 mm over 21 years. This year we got 20.5 counting the 10.5 mm on Jan 31, so our 3rd driest January. Now had 25 mm in the last 2 days, and still dribbling, so that is a relief, even though all the Maori hay has not been eaten yet.
I dig post holes by hand now, because the Mate borer kick so hard when it finds a stone. In Thames where we had no stones we poured 5 litres of water into hard ground so that the soil clung to the auger to get it out of the hole. With hand digging I also put water into the hole so that the soil packs into a lump to get it out of the hole. I also use two long handled spades at the same time, which helps hugely.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501977 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic It's a bit dry
tank half full here, and still raining. We still have loads of feed but I'm looking forward to the hillsides turning a greener shade of brown ;-)

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501981 by kai
Replied by kai on topic It's a bit dry
another 10mm over night and now it is a torrential downpour like Kapiti does so well. With the ground having been so dry I am slightly concerned that the rain falling on the tararuas is going to run straight off the ground and end up flooding this place.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501982 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic It's a bit dry

Stikkibeek;507921 wrote: We replaced a post in the yards yesterday and had to pour a bucket of water down it to get the post hole borer to cut in.

Kai wrote: 25mm and still raining.
[hr]Lucky you. We've only had 4 ml since yesterday morning.

We tried the water method and it only softened 3cm in 24 hours, so went for the brute force method. My preferred method is to wait till autumn when it is cooler too!

More
9 years 3 months ago #501983 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic It's a bit dry
After only 11mm for all of January, 34mm yesterday and over night in a steady not too heavy rain, perfect[8D][8D]

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
9 years 3 months ago #501985 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic It's a bit dry
hd 30mls here in Feilding since it started yesterday till now (12.05pm ).. quite likely all we might get ,,, but sure will freshen things up a bit :)
Would love another 30mls please :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #501986 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic It's a bit dry
Its coming Stu, just started pouring down again here.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 3 months ago #501988 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic It's a bit dry
36mls so far and none wasted by run-off

Everything Must be Somewhere

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds