It's a bit dry

More
9 years 4 months ago #39055 by kindajojo
It's a bit dry was created by kindajojo
No rain for four weeks and scorching temperatures here in the Manawatu. Still a good covering of feed, but at the rate there grass is burning off could do with 100 mm over three days. The great spring meant the animals are well covered and could do with losing a bit of weight.

How is everyone else managing..?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #501431 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic It's a bit dry
like wise ,, I still have grass Jo ,, but nothing coming on to replace it :(
desperately need rain and 100mls sounds great :) :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #501433 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic It's a bit dry
Yep would not mind some rain here either 100ml would be great ...can come anytime now as we have picked up all our required hay for winter and it is stacked looking and smelling divine in the hay shed [^] We still have a ton of grass in every paddock as we have had growth that we have never experienced on any other property ...of course it is getting dry so the ground could do with a good soak but even if we have no significant rain for a couple of months we would still be right for feed[^] AMAZING
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 4 months ago #501434 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic It's a bit dry
We got 6ml yesterday, and about 4 today, in a few great big cloudbursts. The air smells nice and clean (except for the 2 hectare compost fire smouldering about 800m away!!!!!), and the ground is damp (just), but it's a far cry from a drought-breaker. We are a dead, brown dust bowl.

More
9 years 4 months ago #501436 by jsmum
Replied by jsmum on topic It's a bit dry
I don't believe the weather forecasts anymore. All lies! Luckily I have a paddock shut off with heaps of grass in it. Its more the dying trees and shrubs that worry me.
It was a bit worrying driving home from work and seeing the smoky haze from that fire out Bainesse

More
9 years 4 months ago #501437 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic It's a bit dry
Last Thursday (I think it was) we had the most massive downfall of torrential rain in Terrace End. FIL in Hokowhitu measured it at 30mm in one hour. Our cul de sac was flooded. However the official rain gauge for Palmy is at the airport and according to that PN had no rain whatsoever!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
9 years 4 months ago #501440 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic It's a bit dry
We got a bit of light rain overnight a few days back, but all that did was taught the grass to hope and now with the hot winds and scorching sun, everything has gone withered and pretty dead looking.
We are still ok for feed though as we have a big unwanted hay paddock that is about 18 inches high in red clover. we will feed this off to the cattle over the next two weeks.
Plums in the orchard are starting to wither on the trees and still too green to pick. Can't spare much water to irrigate as farm tank now empty and we've switched to the dreaded bore water for the stock.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 4 months ago #501441 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic It's a bit dry
We have no grass and whilst some places around us today got up to 10.5ml, we got virtually nothing. So no rain for at least 6 weeks and pretty much nothing for a time before that! We have been feeding out for everything for a fortnight, some 6 weeks earlier than usual.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 4 months ago #501445 by muri
Replied by muri on topic It's a bit dry
Its summer and summer is dryer than other months.
We have had two summers of drought previous to this and this is nothing compared to where we were at this time last year or the year before.
So enjoy the summer months and farm according to these conditions as it could well be the way things will be each year for us

More
9 years 4 months ago #501448 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic It's a bit dry
Here it's as usual, bits of rain from time to time, never enough to really top things up, but enough to give the grass a bit of relief. It doesn't grow a great deal at this time of year, but still hugely more than when it's cold. The cows are happy because they're warm - except for the explosion in biting fly numbers this year.

More
9 years 4 months ago #501450 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic It's a bit dry
Am LSB-sitting outside of Whanganui, four horses, two big beefies, and 10 calves, but very luckily enough grazing left to not need feeding out YET :) but yes, very, very dry.

Through Levin yesterday and they actually had a tinge of green and were out baling [;)] hoping the grass keeps growing there before my seven weeks blocksitting there in May/June.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
9 years 4 months ago #501451 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic It's a bit dry
We drove over from here to Te Aroha to pick up hay yesterday ...quite strange as some areas quite green whilst others a few kms on are very dry and burnt off ...we are still green and more grass than any other place at this stage of a summer but the ground is cracking so rain would be nice to get rid of cracks and freshen things up ...but feed wise we are in a pretty good position at the moment :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 4 months ago #501452 by kate
Replied by kate on topic It's a bit dry
It's dry here too, in what is usually a high-rainfall area. We've almost no rain for a couple of weeks. The paddocks are drying out...

Web Goddess

More
9 years 4 months ago #501453 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic It's a bit dry
Like Eelcat we are very very dry here too. Had 18mls yesterday so even the grass is smiling but if the temps go to 30 again as they have been in recent weeks it won't be good. We are not feeding out yet but will have to in the next week or so. And of course we are having trouble getting the lambs and some cattle away to the works.

More
9 years 4 months ago #501455 by John M
Replied by John M on topic It's a bit dry
I'm ok with feed but it's drying out quickly, especially with these winds the last few days!!

My ewes are up Pohangina way for another month or so and I'll bring them home just before tupping.

My calves are out Te matai Rd way and have heaps of grass ahead of them so I can conserve my own grass. I have 2 rams, 3 ram lambs for sale, 2 hoggetts and 6 ewe lambs here now.

Anyone want a fully shed, Wiltshire ram lamb ? :)

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds