Cattle Home Kill

More
9 years 2 months ago #501792 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Cattle Home Kill
best steak ever....350gm scotch cooked above coals with V shaped grill bars, fat that drips down onto coals mmmm steak, always grind salt on while cooking.....lamb cutlets are excellent this way...
BBQ is mum & dads, its south american inspired from many visits to Chile

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501795 by MurrayR
Replied by MurrayR on topic Cattle Home Kill
Almost exactly LR.
25 kg sausages and 30 kg mince.
I do steaks on a very hot BBQ plate, rather than a grill. Seem to be more tender that way.
Our new poodle will get through the mince as we precook and freeze her food, which is 50/50 meat and veges. Loves carrots and peas!

More
9 years 2 months ago #501801 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Cattle Home Kill
There are so many things to do with good mince.....
I use a pack of sausages and a pack of mince ...equal portions and make sausage rolls...big chunky ones with chunks of onion, carrot, Apple herbs and feta cheese ..... real meat not like the ones in the shops ....

More
9 years 2 months ago #501805 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Cattle Home Kill
Been reading this thread with interest and a tummy rumble. We have a 20 month old Dexter heifer going into the freezer in a couple of weeks, and since we've been out of beef (except a wee bit of mince) for a while, I can hardly wait!!!

We get ours made into as much mince, schnitzel and steaks as possible. Can't be bothered with sausages... we make those from goat/pork instead, far more satisfying. Schnitzel is so quick and easy to cook and use in so many ways, as is mince. And steak is just steak.... perfect with a huge green salad for a satisfying meal. Oh, I can hardly wait!!! Steaks again!!!!!!

More
9 years 2 months ago #502349 by Snarg
Replied by Snarg on topic Cattle Home Kill
Before: i.imgur.com/TEoFyOj.jpg

After: i.imgur.com/CTl6d8v.jpg

Approx. 500lbs of meat (!)

More
9 years 2 months ago #502352 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Cattle Home Kill
Well done....he looked a lot cuter in the first photo though [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
9 years 2 months ago #502355 by Snarg

Kate;508347 wrote: Well done....he looked a lot cuter in the first photo though [}:)]

But he tastes better in the second one :)

Forgot to mention, that is a freezer we bought just for this. Not surprisingly, it was not big enough. We don't have freezer space left anywhere!

More
9 years 2 months ago #502357 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Cattle Home Kill
You don't use chest freezers?

Looks tasty in pic 2 :)

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
9 years 2 months ago #502367 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Cattle Home Kill
At 1500 lbs, so 680 kg, live weight (about 1/3 live weight for meat and no bones), I would be fairly certain that Horace was 30 months old rather than 18 months. Do you still have the head to check the teeth?

More
9 years 2 months ago #502372 by Snarg

Kiwi303;508354 wrote: You don't use chest freezers?

We have a small one in our house. The one in the picture is a stand up freezer. We also have a side-by-side freezer/fridge in the kitchen. ALL of the freezers are full!

LongRidge;508365 wrote: At 1500 lbs, so 680 kg, live weight (about 1/3 live weight for meat and no bones), I would be fairly certain that Horace was 30 months old rather than 18 months. Do you still have the head to check the teeth?

No need to check the teeth. He was born on our property, so I am confident of the age :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #502378 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Cattle Home Kill
So that just goes to prove that everything is bigger and better in Texas :-)).
I'm looking at buying a replacement bull at the moment and can get an 18 month old purebred Angus, which are hugely bigger than Highlands (....????) that is 380 kg (850 lb) at 17 months, though he has been struggling with a drought for the last 8 months.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502379 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Cattle Home Kill
Snarg, what was the final hanging time?
We just got a 15 month angus x jersey bull done, had mated a cow once so was interested to see flavour. We hung for 12 days. Before cutting the whole thing up we tasted a bit of steak, cant remember if from the front or hind quaters. Taste was perfectly great, but tiny bit tougher than the steer of same age and breed done year before. No matter though. Made lots of snitzel, stirfry, steak, mince, and some sausage mince for when we kill a fat sheep. Bull did not have much fat. The heart was left to hang inside the carcass, and halfway thru cutting up meat we tried some heart sliced and fried. Yum yum! I was so surprised as river cottage's hugh always boils the heck out of it first to tender it a bit. The texture of the heart was not like liver, a bit grainy, but like a melt in your mouth morsel from an expensive restaurant ( I'm guessing, we dont go there). [;)]
Cant remember the final weight, but worked out to be about $1400 worth if you had to buy it. We feel so blessed to have his lifestyle, and great friends who do our homekill for us! :D

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502382 by Snarg
We let him hang for about 14 days. The taste is excellent but the meat was a bit tougher than I anticipated. It wasn't horrible, shoe leather, tough, but still, kind of tough. I just need to find a good marinade and everything should be good.

We had the butcher keep the fat and have made tallow from it. I'll warn you ahead of time, it's not an awesome smell to have in the house.

We are going to use some for frying and some for making candles.

Tallow: imgur.com/1bZdsIs

I don't recall exactly how much we ended up with, but it is a significant amount.

More
9 years 2 months ago #502383 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Cattle Home Kill
Rendering tallow sure brings the flies in! I have made soap with a proportion of animal fat in it. Was nice lather, and doesnt smell different to my veg oil soaps.
Sounds like you have done a great job of using every part of the animal :D

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds