Cattle Home Kill

More
9 years 2 months ago #501118 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Cattle Home Kill
Spotty's horns were wiggly at first appearance (maybe 5-6 months of age or older) as though not fully attached like scurs but are now securely attached and several inches long like proper horns.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501119 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cattle Home Kill
Still scurs. They can end up being attached to the skull when they're large. The tiny leathery button ones usually stay wobbly, but the others get pretty solid. Their surface is a bit different from proper horns though.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501326 by Snarg
Replied by Snarg on topic Cattle Home Kill
New appointment set for tomorrow. The plan is to pick up the butcher about half a mile away and drive him in to where the bull is.

Fingers crossed.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501335 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Cattle Home Kill
Best of luck, let us know how it all goes :D

Web Goddess

More
9 years 2 months ago #501340 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Cattle Home Kill
Snarg, being a mid-winter kill, if the temperature is below about 10C, you will have to be very quick getting the hide off, and not let him get cold too fast. There will be plenty of time to get back to his truck while the animal is bleeding out. But don't stop for morning tea halfway through the skinning and gutting.
If possible, put him in the yard for 24 hours or more with no feed. Then put a biscuit of hay where you want him to be shot, lead him out of the yards (if necessary) with another biscuit of hay, then go and stand where the marksman tells you. If you are keeping the blood, tell the butcher before you start. He will need to put down trays when he cuts the throat and before the bull starts kicking.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501404 by Snarg
Finally got it done! About 30 seconds after the butcher got out of my car, the cow was on the ground. Just how I had hoped it would have gone the first time, no stress.

I should know the total for hanging weight later today.

i.imgur.com/R91Cpqr.jpg

More
9 years 2 months ago #501410 by LongRidge
My butcher cheats himself out of a few dollars by weighing the quarter just before he cuts it into joints. That way it has had the hanging time to lose a bit of excess moisture. How long is it going to be hung? I've had cattle done with both 4 days and 10 days, and with our butcher the 4 days is always better. But I have not had a half with 4 days and the other half with 10 days, which would be very interesting.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501415 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Cattle Home Kill
Well Snarg, is it a cow or a bull. In some posts you say bull, in others you say cow?

More
9 years 2 months ago #501417 by Snarg

muri;507300 wrote: Well Snarg, is it a cow or a bull. In some posts you say bull, in others you say cow?

Bull. Sorry, I interchange the two :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #501419 by X-Toma
Replied by X-Toma on topic Cattle Home Kill
We had our first home kill done this morning. The butcher we used also does the slaughter. He arrived, asked which beast we wanted killed, I told him the best out of two heifers we have. We have 3 cows, 3 calves and the 2 heifers in the one paddock. I had asked him a couple nights before if he wanted me to separate any of them, he said no, just leave them like they normally are.

He drove down to the paddock in his ute with his rifle handy. Both heifers came up to his ute, as I was walking down I heard a shot and one of the heifers dropped, but the time I had walked down he was out of the ute, cut the throat and was putting on his apron.
I was really surprised at how quick and stress free it was for the animal. All up from arriving, to driving back out our driveway he took no longer than 40-45min. I've done building work at abattoirs and had a tour and realise that most working there do their best to keep the animals calm and stress free as possible, but there is no comparison between the two.

Here is a couple of photos I took. She was a Hereford cross 18 month old heifer. Butcher estimates about 180-185 kg hook weight.

i36.photobucket.com/albums/e25/mab3y/Mob...0Uploads/image-1.jpg

i36.photobucket.com/albums/e25/mab3y/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

More
9 years 2 months ago #501546 by Snarg
Hanging weight ended up being 734 pounds(!) Now we have to decide what cuts we want.

More
9 years 2 months ago #501553 by LongRidge
330 kg carcase weight, so a very big Rising 2 year old (R2).
T-bone steaks will be hugely too big.
Schnitzel is a pain to cook so we tend to roast or stew this.
Corn the tongue, it is a fabulous meat either hot or cold.
You should have already used the tail and the diaphragm steak to make Ox Tail Stew, another fabulous meal.
Because you are still in winter, use the stews and roasts before the steaks, otherwise these get in the way in the freezer until next winter, next winter, next winter, or the one after that :-).

More
9 years 2 months ago #501555 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Cattle Home Kill

LongRidge;507455 wrote:
Schnitzel is a pain to cook so we tend to roast or stew this.

Schnitzel is one of the first things to go here...cooked as schnitzel/used for stirfries/ cooked / for wraps which we then toast in the george forman or sandwich press.

The only roasts we get are the rolled ones, we get topside & bolar roasts made into what ever else is suitable....BBQ steak, schnitzel etc. We only get a couple of bags of stewing steak & maybe 1 corned silverside

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 2 months ago #501563 by X-Toma
Replied by X-Toma on topic Cattle Home Kill
We have our not quite 2 year old Highland Bull getting done this afternoon, after 2 weeks of him playing havoc jumping fences into neighbours properties. It will be interesting to see how he compares weight wise to yours Snarg.

Hopefully he's not tainted, if he is looks like we will have a good supply of dog tucker for while :rolleyes:

More
9 years 2 months ago #501568 by LongRidge
Remember that the head will be heavy, so do not plan to take it to the taxidermist in the back of the Mercedes, or even towed along behind the Merc..... as one of the members once did :-))

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds