Rex rabbit does wanted!

More
9 years 3 months ago #38969 by pisa
Rex rabbit does wanted! was created by pisa
Hi All,
after years of learning all about raising rabbits ad how to process them I now want to move into improving my breeding stock.
I have got a lovely Californian purebred buck (and his mix breed sons) and some Flemish Giant/Nz White/Dwarf cross does which throw a good mix of interesting colours and fast growing babies. To improve the fur quality I'd like to introduce Standard Rex into that mix.
I would prefer someone in the lower half of the North Island and was wondering if anyone knows a reliable breeder in the area. On the rare breed society's page I have found the Stoney Oaks Wildlife Park as one breeder, but was just wondering if anyone else is out there.
TIA

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #500529 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Rex rabbit does wanted!
Actually meant to get in touch. Do you have a doe I could buy? We are down to one elderly doe and 2 youngish bucks abd this doesn't seem giid msths to me ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 3 months ago #500530 by eelcat
Good maths I mean

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
9 years 3 months ago #500531 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Rex rabbit does wanted!
hiya eelcat, I've got three does but neither of them are pets! :(
Ginger (DOB May 2013) might have had an unauthorized encounter with Boris (the young Cali/cross buck who's absolutely affectionate. Her current litter, 9 weeks, has two Cali marked girls (white with dusty ears). The two other girls, Psycho Silverette ( May14) and Psycho Foufee (May14) just have had their first litters on the 30. and 31.12.14. If you want them just for breeding, you're more than welcome, but I cannot recommend them if you want them to be handled by children or inexperienced adults. They don't bite or attack as such, but handling them is not easy. :(

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)

More
9 years 3 months ago #500532 by pisa
PS: it's a shame that my pet girl Snowy had passed away: she has given birth to some really friendly babies. Unfortunately both litters produced only one girl and I needed to euthanise her as she had started growing an extra set of teeth! Now I am stuck with her SEVEN cuddly boys![:0]

More
9 years 3 months ago #500537 by meadowlands
Replied by meadowlands on topic Rex rabbit does wanted!
I think the NZ Rabbit Council still has a website and definitely a Facebook page where you can track down Rex breeders.

More
9 years 3 months ago #500541 by eelcat
Thanks P. Yes I did need one of the cuddlier sort (but to breed eating rabbits). Our current old girl is not cuddly but one of bucks is happy to sit in my lap and allows littlies to stroke him

More
9 years 3 months ago #500551 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Rex rabbit does wanted!
The rabbit council also has a section in their forum specifically for meat rabbits, but you do need to apply for a password (not difficult) - (probably due to those who do not like the idea of cute fluffy rabbits being eaten).

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
9 years 3 months ago #500565 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Rex rabbit does wanted!
One of my friends has been breeding Plush lops, I saw her tagged on a facebook page belonging to another breeder that she mustve got into them...the person seems to breed various rabbits.... www.facebook.com/pages/Pet-bunnies/326038187427739?ref=stream

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 3 months ago #500570 by pisa

llvonn;506350 wrote: The rabbit council also has a section in their forum specifically for meat rabbits, but you do need to apply for a password (not difficult) - (probably due to those who do not like the idea of cute fluffy rabbits being eaten).

I have just registered with them but can't find the meat bunny section. Do you have a link maybe?
Ta.

More
9 years 3 months ago #500594 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Rex rabbit does wanted!

pisa;506373 wrote: I have just registered with them but can't find the meat bunny section. Do you have a link maybe?
Ta.

Just had a look and the whole forum has changed. Sorry about that. They used to have a meat and fur section - not there now. However, if they have a show near you go along. I did once and many were very down to earth about eating rabbits. You can always send in a query to the Rabbit Council and maybe they can get someone to contact you back who thinks along those lines. They can also put you in touch with people who breed in your area.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
9 years 3 months ago #500759 by pisa
Thanks, I have contacted a couple of people, not necessarily close by, but hubby has sanctioned the use of the pet bus this time [;)], so have extended my range to the whole of the north island. I will introduce any new members once they have arrived! :D

More
9 years 3 months ago #500877 by rabbitnutz
Replied by rabbitnutz on topic Rex rabbit does wanted!
RCNZ don't have a 'meat' section any more.

Breeder of NZ Whites, Satin Rabbits.
Member of
Bay of Plenty Rabbit and Cavy Club.
CRANZ Commercial Rabbit Association NZ

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds