Bad things happen in threes?

More
9 years 4 months ago #38881 by Ruth
You (generic you, but not me) reassure yourselves that is the case, often, or you frighten yourselves that it is the case, when two things have already happened. I personally think anyone with such a belief is ... well, politely, silly.

My year is proof that the number of things which can go wrong is potentially infinite. I'm quite sure we haven't reached any sort of limit, since I, the formerly-injured Stephan and most of the animals are still alive - where there's life, there's still the chance of horrible injury, illness, accident and death, it just hasn't happened yet.

Interestingly this all demonstrates to me the levels of my own resilience. I haven't collapsed in a heaving, sobbing heap, waiting for the next bad thing to happen. I just shake my head over the next thing and get on with whatever needs to be done.

Most of the time it's one good thing after the next. It's only when a whole lot of crap ambushes me all together that I don't feel quite so positive for a while.

Ho hum, this too shall (presumably) pass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499684 by Hawkspur
Bad things do happen in threes, if you count them in a certain way, or wait long enough and stop counting at the right time.[:(!]
This sort of theorizing (B=3) appears to work because bad things keep happening.
I hope things go OK for you for a while and you can focus a bit on some of the good stuff that also keeps happening. :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #499685 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Bad things happen in threes?
Oh, I suppose you're right. I've thought that too and resisted, strongly, the popular urge to count things like that. Crazy to keep expecting the worst, since if you do, you invariably notice that most. It's a bit hard not to notice it when it keeps banging into your face though!

Many good things have also happened during the year, although lots of those were the sorts of things lots of lovely people did to help us cope with the major bad thing.

I'm aware the calendar year is entirely arbitrary, but it's odd that nearly all the recent string of disastrous and unfortunate events has happened in 2014.

On the 30th of this month, we will celebrate the last tractor payment going out of our account. That's been a seriously fantastic thing over the last couple of years. When all else turns to crap, we think "orange". Very cheering.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499709 by Stikkibeek
Orange wouldn't necessarily be a good thing if you were green and gold!
Luckily we grew up in a society where none of that matters.

However, little excentricities are part of human nature and whether counting (B=3) or 13 Fridays, I wouldn't count on the majority of people actually believing that stuff. Often it's just clutter from generations past that has been passed on. It can be cumulative though and a bane to the memory. Once told seldom forgotten.
If my mother had never told me that lengths of washing machine hose was called "donkey doodle" I would have gone on in innocent bliss asking for it by its correct name at the local merchants instead of now having to actually think before I speak! :rolleyes:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 4 months ago #499712 by Hawkspur
ahahah Stikkibeak! Just picturing you asking for that at the hardware store! :D :D
Ruth: Have a very happy Tractor Paid Day. Orange be with you.[;)]

More
9 years 4 months ago #499844 by Belle Bosse
Yippeee!! Three cheers for Ruth for the 30th!
Final tractor payment is SO exciting; when the tractor officially becomes ALL YOURS!

Enjoy your Orange!

More
9 years 4 months ago #499850 by keppelk
The "3's" is just bad maths. Each drama is a single event. None of the dreaded waiting for the next drama. You know that eventually there will be something else, regardless of what groupings you count in. Each day as it comes. People are surprisingly resilient, they just need the occasional challenge to prove it.

Congrats with the last tractor payment. Always good to see the last piece of a plan come into place.

The Dutch part of me has a thing about orange tools. Obviously a good tractor if it's orange :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #499852 by ZenLife
I just planted three trees in a line facing north at the peak of my property

I decree that

Good

More
9 years 4 months ago #499856 by Stikkibeek
3 is actually the 5th number.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499857 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Bad things happen in threes?
Another wine, SB, or maybe five ... hic... ?

More
9 years 4 months ago #499860 by terralee

Stikkibeek;505573 wrote: 3 is actually the 5th number.

and 60 is now the new 30 ...so I shall be 30 in a year and a bit[;)]and so I shall have another wine ....whoops #4 so I best have another 2 :D
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 4 months ago #499862 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Bad things happen in threes?
Do people actually know why the number 3 is significant when it comes to counting?

Historically it is believe there is some truth in the Story of Babylon
"6 And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them.

7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city."

At one point in time, all languages stemmed from the same root. If you look at the words for the number one, two, three in most languages they are recognisable.
French un, deux, tois
Polish jeden, dwa, trze
Swedish en, två, tre
German einer, zwei, drei

and there are similarities in other languages, hindi, arabic etc.

However after the first three numbers the similarities stop. The reason is that in very early cultures, people counted one, two, three and then just used "many". The numbers after three do not have similarities between languages.

If you look at English place names you will see the numbers one two and three used, but never four or five.

So that is why the phrase, things come in threes is there, because there never used to a number four!

More
9 years 4 months ago #499863 by Stikkibeek

Ruth;505574 wrote: Another wine, SB, or maybe five ... hic... ?

Look up Fibonacci's numbers and you will see I am right. It's the mystery of life itself! :rolleyes:

More
9 years 4 months ago #499865 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bad things happen in threes?
Is it wine time? I could certainly do with a big glass right now of my chosen low alc. pinot gris. (Low alc being because I have reached a certain age where as much as I enjoy a bottle of normal strength chardy, it doesn't like me...

I personally think 2014 has been a shite of a year. I spent what seemed like the first half worrying and trying to do something with her GP about the impact of Mum's dementia on Dad, then found Dad had bowel cancer who we lost 3 days after his operation in August.

We have had a customer not pay us for expensive and extensive work in August (the same week) and still haven't been given a hearing date by the disputes tribunal closest to us.

We had the sports horse collapse in the float with subsequent vet visits and tests. We had the sick cow issue (previously posted) and this week tops it off with receiving a disputes tribunal notice from the sacked builder who worked on our insurance rebuild over 6 years ago, seeking reimbursement for the window deposit and reading emails (can you believe!). This is the same guy who Hubby caught breaking into the house the month after and stole all the building materials on site, then sending christian lit praying for our forgiveness etc etc. Creep. Min of Justice has delightfully shared our NZ email address with him today...

I'm not sure how many days are left in 2014 and I know I don't have enough wine in the cupboard to be able to stay in and avoid the world for the rest of December.

But by crikey, someone is chucking some crap our way. And it ain't in threes. [}:)]

More
9 years 4 months ago #499866 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Bad things happen in threes?
Stikkibeek, what is zero in Roman numerals????

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds