Scything Contacts in Waikato

More
9 years 5 months ago #38849 by Hondo
Does anyone know of an expert scythe person in the Waikato, who can sharpen an old scythe? We have bought 4 old scythe blades and while they do kind of work the way they are, we think they could do with a new edge. We have a sharpening stone and have peened the edge, but would like an expert to check them for us. The grass doesn't cut as easily as we think it should.

We are in Te Akau, west of Hamilton. And are prepared to travel a reasonable distance for the right person. Many thanks.

Two humans, one dog, two cats, one milk cow and her calf, four lambs, numerous chickens and roosters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #499435 by LongRidge
I don't know anyone, but suspect that the efficiency of the scythe will depend on the stature of the person, so that the angle stays correct for that person. I also suspect that speed of the blade is very important, so it will cut better if you move it quickly. With my sickle, I have to re-sharpen it after 10 to 20 cuts, depending on the grass. I use either an old chainsaw file or a bastard file to get it cutting well. Never file without a file handle that protects you from the blade edge, because cutting implements are always filed toward the cutting edge and never away from it, so that there is no burr on the edge. Also, some plants cut much more easily than others.

More
9 years 5 months ago #499456 by Go Kaz
Replied by Go Kaz on topic Scything Contacts in Waikato
There is a guy in Maramarua that sharpens tools - all kinds of tools!

His contact number is 0272147704

We got him to sharpen our chain saw blades and they are crazy sharp! but as I say, he sharpens pretty much anything

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds