Breeding rabbits

More
9 years 4 months ago #38834 by robbie88
Breeding rabbits was created by robbie88
We a have a female Flemish Giant that we always intending breeding from but "never-got-round-to-it" mainly because we don't have a mate and also felt it wasn't a good idea to bring in one of the wild rabbits that keeping popping up from time to time.

She is two years old now and we have an offer to purchase a buck.

Is their anyone out there who can advise on putting our girl to a mate and starting a family?

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499245 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Breeding rabbits
you will need 2 cages bcause the saying breeding like rabbits is true...preg for 4 weeks, they can get preg straight after having the kits

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
9 years 4 months ago #499254 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Breeding rabbits
At two years of age, there's every possibility that she might be too old to breed. If too much fat builds up around the uterus, it is hard for them to conceive. Definitely 2 separate cages, as katieb said, though! We bred Standard Rex rabbits for about 10 years before calici virus just got too hard to deal with. Quite enjoyable and good eating!

More
9 years 4 months ago #499283 by robbie88
Replied by robbie88 on topic Breeding rabbits
Thank you for the advice.

Rob

More
9 years 4 months ago #499354 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Breeding rabbits
Hi,
Five years ago I started out with a Flemish Giant cross doe and a NZ White/Dwarf cross buck.
I found that if I didn't make sure that they mated properly ( buck falling off cross-eared) the few babies grew too big for an easy birth. As they are both big breeds, if they haven't got too many buns in the oven the individual buns will get huge. One time she miscarried one that was literally twice the size of the other 3 live born ones! And once bred I keep them separate, to avoid him stressing her and her castrating him! With large breeds it can take up to 32 to 33 days, one time one of my girls took 42!!! I have no clue whatsoever why.
At 2 years she should be fine, but if you find she doesn't become pregnant, weight is a big issue as mentioned before. Try putting her on a balanced grass diet. Mine breed best in spring when they feed mainly on daily fresh cut grass. They always have hay and pellets available, but hardly touch it if I keep them in fresh grass. Which is about the only thing that'll grow plentiful at our place!
I'm a member of a US based group on Facebook that breed bunnies for meat and found a lot of interesting advice, but that depends what you want to breed yours for.
More than happy to share my thoughts, but there is soo much to consider, better ask away first and then see what answers are out there.
Good luck.

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds