chicken wormer Flubenol

More
9 years 4 months ago #38817 by hillside
Hi all,

After some of you had mentioned Flubenol in previous posts, I decided to go ahead and order some.
It came in a 600g tub and is a powder.
Now, I am a bit confused about how much to add to the feed, can you please give me your suggestions on how you understand the directions?
On the leaflet it says: Flubenol 5% should be mixed into the feed so as to obtain a homogeneous mixture. (I wonder if they are talking about pellets here?)
Then it says: 20g per tonne corresponds to 1 pot of 600g for every 1.5 tonnes of feed. :confused:
that description doesn't make sense to me first they say, 20g per tonne and then 600g per 1.5 tonne. :confused:

I feed my girls chicken pellets. Do you think it's ok to just mix it through the pellets, or should I add the powder to the pellets and soak them? How much would you add? I have 3 pens with approx. 16 chooks in each pen.
I would really appreciate your feedback, as I don't want to get it wrong.

Look forward to hear how you understand the directions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499052 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic chicken wormer Flubenol
Can you email the manufacturer? Doesn't make sence does it. Is there anything on the tub? I've not heard of it so am interested in the product. Does it have a holding period?

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499059 by seatil
Replied by seatil on topic chicken wormer Flubenol
My pot says:

Poultry

b. Chickens and geese

30g flubendazole per ton of feed (30ppm)

Then later:

30g flubendazole per ton (30ppm) corresponds to 600g of Flubenol 5% per ton of feed.

What that means:

Flubenol is not 100% active ingredient. It's actually only 5% active ingredient. Hence the 20 fold difference between the values quoted for the active ingredient vs the white powder in the pot.

The 30g/ton figure refers to the active ingredient, flubendazole. Whereas the 600g/ton figure refers to the stuff as it comes out of the pot (30g is 5% of 600g, or 1/20th of 600g)

I work out to 6g Flubenol/10kg feed. Or 15g Flubenol / 25kg food. (weight_of_food_in_kg/1000 * 600 = amount_of_flubenol_in_g)

When mixing, I find it best to chuck some food in a container, sprinkle over some of the (pre-weighed) flubenol, more food, more flubenol, then mix it together as best as possible. I've heard of people using those rotating compost drums or rolling other barrel shaped objects to do the mixing.

I don't know where you're getting 20g/ton from. That's the dose rate for turkeys, but that only equates to 400g of Flubenol/ton of feed.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499062 by hillside
Replied by hillside on topic chicken wormer Flubenol
Thank you very much for explaining that.
I should have looked at the pot itself, but as they had a leaflet attached to the pot, I assumed it would say the same.

You are right, it does say 30 g per tonne.

I have never used it before, but was very keen on it as it has no withholding period for eggs.

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated! :)

More
9 years 4 months ago #499063 by seatil

Deanna;504681 wrote: Does it have a holding period?

According to the tub:

Poultry:
- chickens: may be slaughtered for human consumption only after 3 days from the last treatment
- turkeys: may be slaughtered for human consumption only after 1 day from the last treatment
- game birds: may be slaughtered for human consumption only after 4 days from the last treatment
- eggs: at the therapeutic dose of 30ppm, no withdrawal time has to be observed

Tubs last for AGES. Mine was bought a year ago, expiry date of November 2017.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499068 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic chicken wormer Flubenol
Seatil, thanks, can I ask you where you got it from, or where I might get it from? :)

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499075 by seatil
We ordered ours via our vet. They needed to know the distributor (but managed to find that out themselves in the end as we had no clue). The label on the tub says "Distributed by Nutritech International Ltd" and gives an address near Auckland Airport.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499078 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic chicken wormer Flubenol
Just a point, you have to fee the treated feed for 5 or 7 days in a row, can't remember which but it might say on the instructions.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499083 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic chicken wormer Flubenol
I personally find oxfendazole alot easier to give to smaller flock of chickens. It's liquid so it is easily measured out with a syringe. I got mine from Avivet.

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds